This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto kicker causing loss of assets

I have no doubt that this has been brought up before, and I'll admit that this is a bit of a rant post.

I was just playing Quin Ling in the attack chopper squad on the chinese side. I was flying, with Jeon in the gunner seat, and we were doing a fairly decent job of it.

...and then I got kicked for a supporting member.

Now, not being in the server, I didn't see what happened afterwards, but I can guess: Jeon and the chopper inexplicably fell out of the sky, losing an asset with a 20 minute spawn and giving up the team's already tenuous close air support advantage.

Though I doubt this is a new idea, there really needs to be a special case made for pilots of aircraft. Those assets can be a huge loss, and in the case of transport choppers can result in entire squad getting completely plastered by the loss of the pilot. For infantry and almost all vehicles, it's merely an annoyance, possibly punctuated by the loss of a limited kit or a less important vehicle, or forcing a tank to return to base. But for aircraft, the pilot CAN'T just be kicked without taking the asset out of play for 20 minutes.

I know it isn't fair to give the pilots immunity where others don't, but perhaps there's a compromise: give the pilots a warning when they're about to be kicked, and give them three minutes to get the vehicle back to base. That'd make it less abrupt, and give them a chance to not lose the asset.

Re: Auto kicker causing loss of assets

There is no possible way of the auto-kicker to tell a person before they are going to get kicked (as it kicks the second an SM joins) and it can not tell the difference between a foot soldier, a tanker, or a commander. It kicks solely off of the amount of time you have in the server. Between rounds just disconnect and reconnect to reset the amount of time you have on the server. That should decrease the chances of getting an untimely kick.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

As unlocks said, thats not really possible. This point has been made pertaining to several different classes: pilots, commanders, squad leaders, tankers, drivers, regulars, etc. It's just not possible. Bottom line is this: when a supporting member connects, it kicks the person with the longest connection time. It's instantaneous because there is no realistic way to stick someone in a queue as you suggest, to give someone time to return assets to a safe location. The game simply doesnt provide a queuing system that would allow us to have people wait for a defined period of time before a player was kicked to make room.

Even if it were possible, (and I dont want people to cry "elitist" here because it's the truth) we wouldnt do it. Why? Because supporting members pay for the right to join the server at their leisure. Our money keeps the server up and running. Asking people who contribute their hard earned cash in exchange for unfettered access to the server to sit and wait so that some person who doesnt can have an extra few minutes of playtime just isnt reasonable.

Besides, anyone who's played a single round on the server knows that even if we did have a "3 minute return to base" window, it wouldnt work. You could put a big red flashing message in the center of the player-to-be-kicked's screen in huge letters and 90% of the time it would be completely ignored and the asset would be lost anyway. People who use assets and are not SM's know full well the risk they take when they leave the base with their shiny new equipment.

Comment

To sum it all up, there's no way we could implement this, we can't get around the limitations of the game, so it ain't gonna happen.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X