What's up with the server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the server?

Tonight it crashed twice. I'm not sure how many people were there the first time (or what map it was on. I can tell you it was a fair amount of people), but the second time there were 32 people loading Operation Ghost Train.

It was pretty frustrating. The worst part is the way it crashed- I haven't seen it crash that way before. The map would finish loading, I would click "Join Game", it would bring up the kit selection screen, then as it switched me over to the other team (always happens), the screen went black, and froze there. I couldn't go to the main menu, I couldn't bring up scoreboard, nothing. I sat at my computer for five minutes waiting for something to happen.

So, what is going on with the server? It really needs to be fixed. Before the second crash, the admin lined up all of my favorite maps. The future looked so fun...
    Waldo II

Re: What's up with the server?

Doesn't everyone think that if we knew what was causing the crashes the problems would be fixed?

If you are unsatisfied with your service, please don't forget to ask for your money back.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

lol would you like a cookie with that also?
      I do not have any ribbons because the TG Ribbons department has not created one for being a boss.

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
        Doesn't everyone think that if we knew what was causing the crashes the problems would be fixed?

If you are unsatisfied with your service, please don't forget to ask for your money back.
        ... By contacting Bill, from Customer Service.

| |

Comment

With that many hard crashes last night I was hoping to have had at least one round of Op Archer though. ;}

Comment

Yeah, I know.

Comment

Waldo,was the timer moving? because its happened to me, for some reason, its deletes all your controls and prefix (presuming you have one)

Comment

never mind whats up with the server yo! What is down with it? what's the 411? Is there a picture of the server? Does it get down, the same way it gets up? Bust a move serva, get down with your funky self!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCs2u68qgI[/media]

^the above is a satirical/sarcastic comment it is not meant to be taken seriously....servers can be unruly sometimes relax, take a deep breath and it will all work itself out eventually..the admins can only do so much, TG is a popular place, thats why its the #1 Place to play PR.

I'll be back in no time, i know you all miss me, having some technical problems sorted out and ironically i can't blame it on D1sposabl3H3r0
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I found the problem:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
                    Waldo,was the timer moving? because its happened to me, for some reason, its deletes all your controls and prefix (presuming you have one)
                    Yeah that happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                      I found the problem:

DB
                      I see no problem tbh :row__523:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                        I found the problem:

DB
                        Might not be a problem after all...

| |

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post

Edit: I deleted what I wrote. I was angry when I posted the message. I apologize to all who read it.
                          Waldo II

Comment

Seem this version of PR is very bugy indeed. I can now get black load up screens just starting it up PR (a reboot and a visit to BF2 seems to help). It also seems to mess with other software, most noticabley Winamp (tell me if this is advertising and I will delete it, I only place it so's people have an idea). Alot of times I cant start that up if I play PR even, and it decides to play silly buggers, with a reinstall of Win' everytime as the only fix. I have also had one serious debug, which is very very rare indeed, so I am watching this.

The bottom line on the bugs, is that the bugs have been increasing, as are the reports. For example my first 'bug' was an 'apparent' changing of my 'settings', and then huge lag, even though my graphic card should handle higher end settings reasonably well (solved with visit to BF2 and a reboot). Then about the same time the mic' went (visit to BF2 settings again and reboot) the 'static noise' version.

To the point though, and I want to underline this: I very much believe it is nothing to do with the TG server, and as said, those that run it are as totally mystified as the rest of us, and fustrated. They can only give what the programmers give them.

I'm no programmer, so I can't comment on 'fixes' in a professional eye, apart from it seems to me to be in my laymans' eye the PR software itself being very buggy (this time, this version). It is up to the PR programmers to fix these bugs and so would direct you to their homepage in order to report such issues, so they can rectify them. And I hope they do as it's a great game (PS: if u guys read this Mau Valley, long grass and infantry maps please :* I'm such a romantic ^^).

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                              Edit: I deleted what I wrote. I was angry when I posted the message. I apologize to all who read it.
                              At the time I wrote my response, you were not a supporting member. Glad to see that you have decided to support the community, and welcome to TG.

Originally posted by Taip3n View Post
                              Seem this version of PR is very bugy indeed. I can now get black load up screens just starting it up PR (a reboot and a visit to BF2 seems to help). It also seems to mess with other software, most noticabley Winamp (tell me if this is advertising and I will delete it, I only place it so's people have an idea). Alot of times I cant start that up if I play PR even, and it decides to play silly buggers, with a reinstall of Win' everytime as the only fix. I have also had one serious debug, which is very very rare indeed, so I am watching this.

The bottom line on the bugs, is that the bugs have been increasing, as are the reports. For example my first 'bug' was an 'apparent' changing of my 'settings', and then huge lag, even though my graphic card should handle higher end settings reasonably well (solved with visit to BF2 and a reboot). Then about the same time the mic' went (visit to BF2 settings again and reboot) the 'static noise' version.

To the point though, and I want to underline this: I very much believe it is nothing to do with the TG server, and as said, those that run it are as totally mystified as the rest of us, and fustrated. They can only give what the programmers give them.

I'm no programmer, so I can't comment on 'fixes' in a professional eye, apart from it seems to me to be in my laymans' eye the PR software itself being very buggy (this time, this version). It is up to the PR programmers to fix these bugs and so would direct you to their homepage in order to report such issues, so they can rectify them. And I hope they do as it's a great game (PS: if u guys read this Mau Valley, long grass and infantry maps please :* I'm such a romantic ^^).
                              To Taip3n's point: We do run what the PR developers give us. We signed a license agreement (as have all PR server owners) that prevents us from modifying server-side content.

We do have a really good relationship with the PR team, and we have been privileged enough to try some fixes for the server-side code on the TG server in the past. However, we do not modify this code. If there is a crash that is PR-related, we have no control over it other than to remove the map causing the issues from the rotation (Archer, Al Basrah).

Additionally, Punkbuster seems to cause it's fair share of issues. Recently, there have been a bunch of disconnects on map changes. Punkbuster has updated it's BF2 client, and some people have been forced to manually update because the automated update hasn't worked.

Also, let's throw EA and their master account servers into the mix. I believe they update those on a weekly basis on Thursdays (I might be mistaken about the date), but they also do it whenever they feel like it. This can cause issues that prevent the entire BF2 player base from being able to connect and stops them from playing any version of BF2.

Of the 3 causes of crashes and issues listed above, we have zero control over any of them.

My initial comments were to point out the fact that, while it is frustrating for everyone, there is nothing we can do about it. When the server crashes, someone has to track down an admin to restart the server. We don't live on the server 24/7/365, so at times the server may be down for a while.

Hope this sheds a little light onto the "reality" of running a server and maybe, armed with this information, people will think twice before they post. If there is an issue with the server and you cannot locate an admin on teamspeak, please post in the Contact an Admin forum and let us know there is a problem with the server. Link to this forum is in my signature line.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X