Tactical movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical movement

People need to learn their platoon's "LINE". It is in the direction where the enemy might move in or already engaged front.

-Remember that your line is where you should be AT ALL TIME. If you know where your line is you will have no problem pointing out enemy at all. Telling enemy location in degree* in english is different in my language. But if you knew where your line is...the marker will tell you where is the centre then ... you will know where is right and left...then you can tell your friend like "right...eye level moving toward [email protected]#$%", "left...45* behind cover (45* from your position ... higher than eye level" got it?
    -If you getting assualt by enemy and being outnumberred...fall back from the line with covering fire...NO SMOKE. Smoke only when you are desperate... Fall back in order to the last line you used to hold..then wait patient...the enemy will chase you like mad men now....and they well fall into your trap. Guranteed. My 3 men squad always be able to hold a certain location vs. 1-2 enemy squad without no problem.
    -Do not blob!!! (blob is not formation group of people that do no good: from napoleonic age...everyone in cadet school should know this...)
    -To fix the blob problem, SL must yelled "SHIFT...left or right" Then the person on the edge of the line move to another cover...expanding the line.
    -To clear or to move in woods or uneven ground...make sure to form a zig zag line (perfect line will easily get wipe out with MG in real life...but i never seen that in RP). Your line formation or wedge..what ever will help your squad to be able to concentrate on their front...and their front only. Everyone must know their spot in the squad. 2 4 1 5 3 is the perfect formation (6 is medic and mostly they will stay closer to 1 but not too close). the number indicated a verterancy of your squad member.
    -Overwatch!!! This is CRITICAl...and I never seen it on any server before. At least one person must cover a platoon movement. Overwatch also refer to "heavy guns watching the area...ready to fire at enemy to cover friendly movement...which the key of the perfect breakthrough"
    -Leap & Wheel: Wheel is like a triangle movement...use to clear small area or move away from enemy suppresing fire. Leap use when to move along the open ground... This can be include covering fire or just overwatch the area.
    -Another thing that people lack is skill in spotting. Start with horizon ... dont aim (or zoom)... watch it very fast along the horizon...then aim with scope then...sweep back. Try not to concentrate on one location but trying to the big picture.

CO's role:

-Keep asking for intel...
    -Use your red marker to mark enemy movement...so people will aware of situation.
    -Rally all tank or APC to centrate fire at enemy position.
    -Assign APC to infantry squad. Both APC and infantry must move together so Cavalry and infantry will not be part.
    -Force Tank to act more agressive when they have infantry support.
    With PERFECT coordination...tank and MECH-infantry should blitz a flag or two in less than 5 mins.

This is not all but i really upset with the way we play at the moment. Please try to understand that no one speaks english as their first language and i tried to explain this in ...a friendly way. Feel free to add more or edit my post. I dont know much of tactical term in english but i have no problem if you can speaks THAI. hehe

Re: Tactical movement

Agreed, but the problem is whenever i try to get this going people dont seem to get it or they just wont cooperateand then i have to kick them, I tried to do this when i first started to SL but found out that you cant put a weeks worth of training into someone in 3 mins you got before the game starts. most people dont even get the idea of fireteams and overwatch which anoys the hell out of me
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Exactly. That's why I always locked my squad and end up being a fireteam and covering fire the entire game. We end up get scores lower than other squad staying on the flag. The number of member in a squad is just 6 is too, which lower than 16 (devided into 8A and 8B, which devided into 8A-1,8A-2, 8B-1, 8B-2) Each team and subteamed takes turn we advance.

So, I suggest, for 31 team. 1 CO, 5 full squad (A, B, C, D, E). A stick with B. C stick with D. And E stick with CO...and must have humvee or other mean of transport...which can go to help 2 front when needed.

A, B, C, D must have No. 1 (SL), No. 2 (Marksman or Rifleman), No. 3 (MG), No. 4 (AT), No. 5 (Medic or rifleman), and No. 6 (Medic).

E should have long range support with heavy weapon including JTAC.

In case of a breakthrough...after heavy bomard from 'nade launcher, AT, HAT, APC and Tank...E should lead the attack as a main fire support and assult with their heavy infantry.

For anyone who doesnt know what BREAKTHROUGH is: It's is an assault after heavy bombard on enemy storng postion...then move in after the trail of shells. After the first group of troops occupy or captured the enemy line...all guns supporting the assualt must concentrate on the way they enemy will move in to recapture their line.

So...fire support must waste all their ammo on one point of location in order to pin down enemy or kill them all.

Tank is cavalry....APC is not. Cavalry must not move out without infantry support but if they really have to attack they must not act to aggressive. Tank is not a charger. APC is INFANTRY support. Troops acted like a dragoon in the early days...riding into battle but fight on foot. APC should should blazing their guns until they reach a ditch or something that they can drop troops off. Then troops will clear the woods and building infront of the APC. After occupying the new territory...troops must know how to set up defensive perimeter. A defensive perimeter is not a line anymore...so...this is the only way your squad will be scattered around the area...after one member make a call (before they fire unless they are on Fire At WILL), the defensive perimeter dissolve and form a single line of combat...which APC can support. BUT if you want to leave the area and attack..which is not recommended in game (since people spawn from weired bags or out of no where from firebase or bunker). Troops can board their APC and moving faster to other prospect location.

In case of dropping troops in the open...APC must move slower to act as a cover and gun platform for its troops, too...this goes the same with humvee too.

So i HOPE that we can find a good squad which dominate the field with this tactics, soon. By the way...if you are interest to invite me to get me yell at from time to time...pls...invite, LOL. I am very good at shooting people.

Comment

Perhaps a manual can be made in which commands, tactics are explained and visualized. Ingame squad leaders then create a custom squad with a certain tag to indicate that all players joining the squad are expected to know the drill. On a higher level the commander will know that the SL will do his job and communicate in an effective way by providing situation reports.

I think that such a thing would transform new players or old players with the "wrong" customs much quicker than browsing through dozens of threads or learning the hard way by just playing many games.

Cheers,
        Fishbone

Comment

there are certain maps in which your idea of how squads should stick together does not work at all. Take Kashan Desert for example. In Kashan (64 or 32) you are going to have at least one tank and one air squad. These can be a big help when trying to take or defend a flag. Also, if you continually stick 2 squads together, your commmander has very little flexibility. This is especially disasterous on maps with a lot of flags that are close to eachother (take ejod for example). Your squad idea is hopeless if you want to take ground.
          Now, I know what you are probably thinking, 'If we hold the line we can simply advance and push foward towards the next flag'. Now I agree with you that a squad should be together in more or less a line. (unless defending a place like the bunkers in Kashan). But, unlike in real life, an enemy squad can rush past you with a light vehicle, set up a rally, and have a source of reinforcements to assault a flag (Thus completely ruining your flag). This is not possible in real life. Though your ideas are good, you ask for some things that are too realistic. It is only a game.

EDIT: I do agree with the bounding overwatch 100%
          Last edited by Googol; 06-01-2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

great post
            Gerardnm

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
              Agreed, but the problem is whenever i try to get this going people dont seem to get it or they just wont cooperateand then i have to kick them, I tried to do this when i first started to SL but found out that you cant put a weeks worth of training into someone in 3 mins you got before the game starts. most people dont even get the idea of fireteams and overwatch which anoys the hell out of me

Totally agree. But sometimes you can get a great squad that are really smart and coordinate perfectly. But at other times you get a guy who grabs a sniper kit when you ask him not too and sits on a hill the whole round.

As for tactics while commanding... I have none. I have noticed commander is the toughest job known to man-kind. When I try to orginize the team most SL's don't care what I say and do thier own thing. Usually you get 2 out of 5 squads who actually do something and follow orders.

Great post
              |TG|
              ||||

Comment

In Kashan, tank, FO/FIST and JTAC must work together to notify and provide intel for each squad. IF you got info that there's a soft skin moblile coming...that's not a problem at all. I agree with you that the squad set is not work in some map but the idea is for woodsland not a desert map. BUT again...if you can co-ordinate all tank to fire at the same location, the infantry should be able to cap the whole 2 bunker in kashan ... very easy. That's mean a perfect squad-tactic must get involved in clearing bunker.

2 squad stick together doesnt mean STICK TOGETHER like ... my english described (LOL) it's mean 2 squad holding a designated attack/defend area and provide support for each other (this is not the age of musket anymore, so there's no problem with long range fire eh?). CO must not force people to use marker on flag (marker is for pointing enemy location and support fire)...but they should assign a point of entry for each squad...just like...A attack from East and B attack from South (in case the we approach the flag from south). Tell each NCO to notify CO when they are in place and attack together with a permission of smoke screen or not. This is the perfect cross fire which can pin most of everything.

I do agree that this is real life tactic but I finds that it's work everytime with civilian. Most Huey ...doing a great job holding formation. Some of them even better than my country's pilot...(there was a guy who crashed one while flying to pick up mushroom for his wife...)

Comment

ah the limitations of pub play

sounds like someone would do well in a certain tournament...

Comment

hey I.Nathayut, great post...

i try to use tactics like you described in TG server often... sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, but its usually fun...

the key though IMO is you need the squad leaders (and only the squad leaders) to coordinate on teamspeak, wiht one of the squad leaders being the leader so they have direction..

it can be really cool to get 2 squads working together, heres a video that sort of demonstrates this (not the best example as we died very often, but it was still very fun): [media]http://vimeo.com/1033586[/media]

Ive written up quite extensive "squad loadouts" in the past, maybe ill type another one up with the loadouts I think would be most beneficial in PR when having 2 squads work together, as well as the ways in which to make those 2 squads functional.

Comment

Pretty good for what I assume were pubbies in your squad.

I usually do normal squads, but if I have a reliable SL in my squad I break up into two fireteams with pretty good success.
                      Skud

Comment

APC is INFANTRY support. Troops acted like a dragoon in the early days...riding into battle but fight on foot. APC should should blazing their guns until they reach a ditch or something that they can drop troops off. Then troops will clear the woods and building infront of the APC. After occupying the new territory...troops must know how to set up defensive perimeter. A defensive perimeter is not a line anymore...so...this is the only way your squad will be scattered around the area...after one member make a call (before they fire unless they are on Fire At WILL), the defensive perimeter dissolve and form a single line of combat...which APC can support. BUT if you want to leave the area and attack..which is not recommended in game (since people spawn from weired bags or out of no where from firebase or bunker). Troops can board their APC and moving faster to other prospect location.
                        and heres a vid specifically for you I.Nathayut where we use such APC tactics, it was cool as hell and very fun, we used this on al basrah battlearena server (where there is no HAT on insurgents so it makes it a bit easier to keep the APCs alive). The vids are a bit boring, not much action and are more showing that these kind of tactics CAN be deployed to great effect. The general PR player population are very willing to try this stuff and seem to really get a kick out of it, so try it out next time youll be surprised with the enthusiasm youll get from people if you set things up properly.

WeGame.com - Al Basrah Mechanized Infantry: APC Component April 4th 08

YouTube - Al Basrah Mechanized Infantry: Infantry Component April 4th 08

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                          hey I.Nathayut, great post...

i try to use tactics like you described in TG server often... sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, but its usually fun...

the key though IMO is you need the squad leaders (and only the squad leaders) to coordinate on teamspeak, wiht one of the squad leaders being the leader so they have direction..

it can be really cool to get 2 squads working together, heres a video that sort of demonstrates this (not the best example as we died very often, but it was still very fun): [media]http://vimeo.com/1033586[/media]

Ive written up quite extensive "squad loadouts" in the past, maybe ill type another one up with the loadouts I think would be most beneficial in PR when having 2 squads work together, as well as the ways in which to make those 2 squads functional.
                          I remember that round!, i was on the chinese at construction...i was the marksmen/SL. Yeah you had us pinned with that support guy for a while, but i found a slit through the wood that i could just pound on you! Good teamplay none the less.

Comment

Ok, I watch all the video. Better than I normally see on the server. But still your men, move randomly in the open. It suppose to move short distance from cover to cover,eh? It's still a topic of discussion in U.S. vs. European infantry tactics...that infantry should advance in coulum or not. The point is in line-like formation, it's easier to get wiped out in squad by a single MG at 600m contact so the U.S. advance in colum about 60 paces from the first guy with SAW but this proved very wrong in urban combat or woodsland...the whole squad got wiped out or pin down or get dispersed by an ambush from the flank very easily and AT VERY CLOSE RANGE (where low tech guns...has it effective range). So what do you think?
                            The other thing...people needs to learn to suppresing fire, too. You got SEVEN clips in your pockets plus ammo bag...that's like 2 times than I got in service. SO firing at enemy position to suppress means...you really dont have to see the target at all...you just have to know they are there. Keep firing while your assualt team of 3 from 6 (as Skud said...and oh...skud...I am your big fan...LOL). I hope we can play together someday.

Comment

Nice write up on tactics and movement but unfortunately I think you'd be asking far too much of the average PR player trying to impliment these.

IRL , you spend literally months living ,working ,training and studying with your troop so you get to know each individual very personally and intuitively . There is also a very distinct chain of command with rewards and punishments for obeying/disobeying.

PRM is simply a game and many just drop in once in a while to play.A zig zag , line or whatever squad formation isn't going to be all that effective if you run into a squad of casual players who are more than willing to die so they can rack up a couple of extra points on the score board. The only penalty for dieing in PRM is the spawn time.

The formation may be somewhat effective in that your entire squad wont be wiped out but there will be casualties and with only 6 in a squad , any casualties leaves your squad virtually ineffective until the reinforcements arrive and you reorganize.

You might be far better off in a clan that plays competatively or in a game such as ArmedA where death can mean a LONG wait time until the round is over.

Now don't get me wrong. Whenever I play PRM one of the prime reasons is to look for that magical squad that actually is organised with a competent squad leader but unfortunaltely , these opportunities for me at least are relatively few and far between (they are either all full or locked).

Non the less , very interesting OP , comments and videos.

Good luck.
                              [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X