Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derived From Insanity: Comprehensive* Pointers to PR

Derived From Insanity: Comprehensive Pointers to Project Reality
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

After playing one of the most frustrating rounds of my entire life (on Battle for Qinling, mind you), I’ve decided to create a list of prerequisites for various roles in-game. These are things all players should know; these are things all players should do. I originally posted this in the TF21 members only forums, but I have decided to post it here as well. I have become particularly frustrated with the level of gameplay on the server stemming from the top to the bottom of the totem pole- from the newest and the most experienced members. I feel these pointers can be of great value to many, many readers on these forums. and no, although I am very, very good, I do not claim to be perfect myself.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

As Commander:

• You should know that micromanagement is not the answer.
    • You should know how to talk to INDIVIDUAL SQUADS. This is done by pressing the squad number and ‘b’ (the default squad chat key). Every squad leader in the game doesn’t need to know that squad 5 has permission to wipe their ass.
    • You should verify what a CAS marker or an Area Attack request is BEFORE accepting it. Everyone on the entire team checks their map to see where the marker is in hopes that it’s supplemented with (whatever it is) spotted. Good thing we just dropped a JDAM on a sniper. I’d be willing to bet I could get a Commander to drop a JDAM on himself.
    • You should know what your assets do. The command post produces 5-tons, but it is visible to the enemy team. Great, thanks for placing your new command post right next to our strategic firebase.
    • You should know how to effectively call in CAS. By coordinating attack markers of both squads, the air unit can effectively find the target. This should be the easy part if the target has been verified. You are also the intermediary and trouble shooter of confirmation and problems between relaying the laser.
    • You should never give a Squad an objective order to a flag. First of all, it’s pretty friggin clear which flag they are attacking, so if you’re thinking of giving a squad an order to something they’re already doing, please don’t; and if you can’t infer the squad’s intentions from the move marker the squad leader has set, usually in close proximity to a specific flag, please resign.
    • You should realize what the squad consists of before giving them an order. Giving a sniper squad orders to build a bunker is probably not the best use of resources – what? You’ll report me if I don’t comply even though I’m explaining our situation with you? gg commander.
    • Remember, just being commander doesn’t give you expert knowledge of the battlefield and exact context of each squad’s unique situation. Maybe working on your listening skills is the best option.

As Squad Leader:

• You too should know that micromanagement is not the answer. “Okay, ‘Colorado’ Seal, you’re going to be AT this round, don’t fire without my permission, and I want you no more than 10m away from me at all times.” -> Ummm…what’s the button for middle finger?
    • When you set a rally point, do it in terrain you know is relatively safe. All too often a squad does an all-out sprint to a flag dropping the rally at 101m only to notice there is an enemy squad at 90m. gg squad- meet you at main…and guess what, there isn’t any transport available.
    • You should manage your squad with actively participating squad members. That sniper of yours up in A1 isn’t contributing anything to your squad /kick
    • Informing commander about significant assets is as important as updating him on progress to their demise.
    • Commander orders are negotiable! As stated earlier, commanders often don’t know the context of your situation. Maybe you can move out AFTER you eliminate the enemy rally you’re tracking.
    • Just like the commander, you might not know the extent of the situation some of your squad members. Continually saying “I need two guys on me” progressively louder and louder isn’t going to make the tank pinning your squad down go away.
    • Don’t blame your squad members for something they might not have known. “Well if one of you told me our rally went down, we wouldn’t be stuck here…” STFU.

As Squad Member:

• You should follow your squad leader because (1) he knows more about the situation on the battlefield than you do and (2) it is the only way to be effective.
    • Nobody cares about how many times you’ve been ‘headshotted’. Seriously. Before you say something, ask yourself if anyone who will hear you will gain any value from what you are about to say. Chances are, the answer is no.
    • Don’t ask where to spawn. If you wait 2 seconds, you’ll see a big green circle with a familiar number appear on the map. You’ve just found your answer.
    • Don’t ask SL what kit he needs- ask yourself what kit the squad needs.
    • Know what you’re getting into! I once had a guy ask me to set a rally in a “No Rally” squad. He had to click “No Rally” to come in. Honestly.
    • sh1t flows downhill. You are the bottom of the barrel and the easiest to blame. Kill before you’re killed and we won’t have a problem.

As Transport:

• Just because the squad leader told you to dump him in the hottest LZ on the map doesn’t mean you have to. Guess what, you are the flying, which means YOU are the ultimate decider. ‘!reporting Seal, not dropping me close enough to my hot LZ.’ Doubtful.
    • Seahawks are not invincible. I know you want them to be, but they aren't.

As Tankers:

• Running a tank into CQB or ahead of infantry is what gets them killed. Whatever team’s tanks stay alive is the team that wins the map. Every time.
    • Don’t get out. Period.
    • Check your fire. That infantry squad running out in the open poses no immediate threat to you. You have time to check your map to determine friend or foe BEFORE firing. And that guy you just killed spazzing about while spamming 'negative'...yep, he was trying to tell you to stop firing, but you were too dense to get the message...

As Specialty Locked Squads (Ambush, Spec-ops/Sniper, etc.):

• Contribute something to your team
    • Maintain the integrity of your squad. All too often we see 6-man Sniper squads or 6-man attkhelo. Wtf. The lock option is there for a reason.

Common Sense: Few and Far Between

Re: Derived From Insanity: Comprehensive* Pointers to PR

I disagree with alot of what you said for Squad members.

As a squad leader this is my interpretation:

"Nobody cares about how many times you’ve been ‘headshotted’. Seriously. Before you say something, ask yourself if anyone who will hear you will gain any value from what you are about to say. Chances are, the answer is no."

Idle chatter can help bring the squad together, from some strangers to 6 guys who actually know each other...1-2 hours is a long time. You just have to know when it's time to shut up and fight the enemy.

Don’t ask where to spawn. If you wait 2 seconds, you’ll see a big green circle with a familiar number appear on the map. You’ve just found your answer.

Maybe I want a new guy to go back to main and bring a truck. It isn't too annoying hearing this.

Don’t ask SL what kit he needs- ask yourself what kit the squad needs.

same as above.

Comment

No doubt, and I've been playing this game since it came out, and I have been playing this mod for a LONG time, this is the best post I've ever read on any forums related to BF2/PR.

Coronado, thumbs up for your attitude. If only people would consider this, PR would be much better than it is right now. I'm sick, too, of the tons os screw-ups that are commited due to lack of attention that most of the times lead to a team loosing, badly.

I have experienced every single one of the things you labeled above. I can't say I haven't commited some of them, but hey, nobody's perfect. But guess what? I got to learn from my mistakes, things that some people can't seem to do.

Again, great post. I think these tips should come along when you download PR, something like "Advanced Gameplay Tips" or something, or even added to the Proejct Reality Tips on the maps loading screens.

READ THIS PEOPLE, THERE'S A LOT TO TAKE OUT FROM THIS POST! Admins, I'd be very happy if this could become a Stickie. I think it's worth it.

- Kev

EDIT: one more I would add... If you don't know how to operate it, KEEP THE HELL AWAY FROM IT. At least ghet some offline training to have an idea of what you're dealing with. Too many times a guy comes up wanting to fly a jet, I go "Do you know how to fly?" and the answer is "Of course I do". He then gets inside the plane and leaves the hangar at 100% throttle, hitting the wall opposite to it.
      |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post
        [list][*]You too should know that micromanagement is not the answer. “Okay, ‘Colorado’ Seal, you’re going to be AT this round, don’t fire without my permission, and I want you no more than 10m away from me at all times.” -> Ummm…what’s the button for middle finger?
        I find that assigning kits is a very important thing for the SL to do. It keeps the squad from lacking an important rescource and gives the squad custom flexibilities that the SL needs.

Comment

i think its quite important to tell the squad that you're down, so they know they can't count on you and eventually have to revive you. When you say you've been headshotted the medic doesn't have to expose himself to an unnecessary threat.

And i think it is necessary telling individual squads as commander where to go.
          As i've seen a 6 man squad hunting down one enemy rally point way far off the actual battle, i tend to tell them just ignore that and get on the damn flag.

And micromangagement is necessary somtimes, esp. with unexperienced squads. And what google said, these kinds of things are essential!

So not a 100% agreement on this!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

I agree with most on the list, but not all. You should always ask the squad leader what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by google View Post
              I find that assigning kits is a very important thing for the SL to do. It keeps the squad from lacking an important rescource and gives the squad custom flexibilities that the SL needs.
              I used to do that, but i find that just saying what they SHOULDN'T get, works better than forcing them to go for certain kits.

Comment

Originally posted by oldirti View Post
                I used to do that, but i find that just saying what they SHOULDN'T get, works better than forcing them to go for certain kits.
                That's funny, when I'm in your or someone else's, or my squad, the SL always says no sniper no spec ops at the beggining. However, someone still grabs the sniper kit. This kind of thing really tiks me off.

Comment

Originally posted by google View Post
                  That's funny, when I'm in your or someone else's, or my squad, the SL always says no sniper no spec ops at the beggining. However, someone still grabs the sniper kit. This kind of thing really tiks me off.
                  Yeah, a guy single handedly ruined our early assault on west beach by taking one. I was driving us, and trying to kick him at the same time, and flipped the vodnick.

Comment

I agree with the first part dirti, when I'm running a squad I don't want to hear anything from my squad members that doesn't help me (help them) help the team win. I think CoronadodoSeal was referring to the whining that many SM's do when they die.

Maybe you just like whiners Dirti !!!

other 2 points I see your point though :)
                    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

This is presented very nicely. I like the pictures you associated with everything...and I agree with you on 95% of it.

Originally posted by oldirti View Post
                      I disagree with alot of what you said for Squad members.

As a squad leader this is my interpretation:

"Nobody cares about how many times you’ve been ‘headshotted’. Seriously. Before you say something, ask yourself if anyone who will hear you will gain any value from what you are about to say. Chances are, the answer is no."

Idle chatter can help bring the squad together, from some strangers to 6 guys who actually know each other...1-2 hours is a long time. You just have to know when it's time to shut up and fight the enemy.

Don’t ask where to spawn. If you wait 2 seconds, you’ll see a big green circle with a familiar number appear on the map. You’ve just found your answer.

Maybe I want a new guy to go back to main and bring a truck. It isn't too annoying hearing this.

Don’t ask SL what kit he needs- ask yourself what kit the squad needs.

same as above.
                      I agree with dirti here...but everything else is golden.

Comment

Ah, i see. Well i my self like to groan when i am losing so i guess misery enjoys company.

Comment

hm... i agree with dirti,

but your original rules would work very well with a squad containing a smart SL and 5 smart squadmembers. People with experience would make the most out of your pointers, while the noobs would be wondering what the hell AT is.

Comment

I agree with Oldirti. This post is a general tips or a common sense. All of this can be fix with INTEL. SM must give constant intel of enemy and friendly movement. SL must give intel to CO. CO must use some kinda marker to mark enemy movement.

Comment

I think like Dirti that idle chatter when out of action is a good thing as long as people can shut up when in combet, i also expect my SM's to tell me if they are dead, taking fire, pinned down or enyother situation that i need to know about. I do the same i tell the commander whenever my situation changes wich is something i think most SL's dont and there the commander (me) get pissed off when they dont do as i tell them.

I mostly dont tell ĺpeople what to get let them figure it out amongst themself, but i do have some kits that i dont seee a use for in a squad or on a sertain map.
                              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X