Covering Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Fire

I was thinking...there are many ways to cover your squad as they advance/retreat/etc....some of which are more effective than others. And with all of these TGU classes coming up, why not one that has to do with some tactics and not just kit/vehicle specific? I am willing to do this if it's possible and we have enough interest generated.

If a "Covering Fire" class can't be done, I could do one over using the Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW).

Re: Covering Fire

Any weapon can be used to suppress. Some of the first words you'll hear from me during an engagement are 'hit the attack marker, EVERYONE.' I'd be interested in a class on the finer points, if there are many.
    | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns' he said:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Comment

That would be an interesting class and I'd attend just to see how it goes but I'm not 100% sure exactly how that would work. Too bad not many people actually bother to give covering fire in game =/

Comment

It would be like the medic course....There are many things you will already know, but there are a few things that are key while suppressing that many don't know.

The basics will just go over how to keep the enemies head down, and tactics that go along with it. Covering fire will not be the only thing I would include.

Comment

I won't be able to attend in the coming weeks, but if you can youtube it or write a summary of it that would be excellent.

Things I would be interested to know as a new player/squad leader:
          - How large is the area of effect for the suppresion. Or how close does a bullet/grenade need to hit to get the suppression effect.
          - How to suppress efficiently when a single SM is trying to approach an objective (medic trying to revive, engineer blowing up bunker)
          - or when the whole squad is moving (falling back, crossing open area, moving through streets).
          - possibly the formations, movement techniques that are most suited when suppressing and how to explain it efficiently ingame.

Cheers,
          Fishbone

Comment

I think this would be the most useful TGU class to come up yet, cause its such a crucial element of modern combat that is lost/unknown to so many players in game atm...

would love to see this happen!

Comment

Good thing have been thinking about something similar,
              for example last night i was shot, the medic moves to revive and i call out coverfire west since that was the general direction i was shot from. not a single person starts shooting. Their reason we dont have a target, so you are just keeping the enemies head down for the medic to do his job. i as a Sl is not very happy with smoke since in my oppinion its only use is for retreating/crossing open areas because otherwise you blind yourself as much as the enemy.

Also when moving under fire/crossing streets you need someone to keep shooting.

What im trying to say is I would be happy to help if you need it. But i dont know how TGU works
              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

I agree with Katanama.

Just keep firing!!!

Comment

Yeah, surrpressing fire is really useful for assualting enemy positions. I used it yesterday on the U.S. main on Kashan and it worked well.

Comment

Smoke via m203 is some of the best covering fire a single soldier can provide especially if you have an ammo source and can really create a massive blanket between the enemy and your own troops

Also underused is crossfire, covering fire plus a marksman at a slightly different angle should rack up some great kills especially if they attempt to return fire which they invariably will.
                    Distracted enemies are very easy kills, I recommend head shots as it will leave them unable to locate the allready very confusing line of fire

I have actually allready attended an informal class on this previously. I forget who did it though, but it was great even before surpression was implemented. We practised squad movement on ejod - bounding overwatch, sectors of fire and all that, anyone remember who ran it?

If you want a written guide, look here:

http://dslyecxi.com/armattp3.html#formations

Theres about 2 weeks of reading & practice there. It applies to PR even if the pictures are arma because the tactics are derived from real ones afaik

Another thing about covering fire or any tactic is that it starts to require discipline and coordination. This is why I favor guerrilla or skirmish tactics for pub play, its easier and less frustrating then getting everyone upto speed

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I took part in that lesson too, from what I can remember Gumball had alot of fun with the SAW and I was surprised at how much fire just a couple of guys could produce to keep the enemy pinned down and allow other members of the squad to flank.

However your correct that it does take too much coordination to use effectively when you've got a squad full of guys who haven't practiced it before.

Comment

Which is why this course is going to be set up.

WIP right now, I'm talking my way through getting this set up as an official TGU Course.

Comment

Covering Fire is useless in most situations, start blasting that SAW and you get a crosshair on your face within seconds, oops, there goes the automatic rifleman kit.

What squads need to learn is the ability to deploy smoke cover, flanking precedures, the ability to attack from a different direction/vantage point.

As a commande,r I noticed most squad leaders are completely useless when it comes to ground tactics and just use a linear, straight point approach heading directly towards amrker and gettign gunned down. Brains size of peanut. Sheesh.

Suppressing fire, can be used by marksmen and sharpshooters (not snipers, snipers are completely USELESS at suppressing the enemy, will you ppl learn that basic fact?) a long distance away covering the other 4 members of the squad that are moving up under smoke cover. Tactics 101, yet many ppl fail to implement and use a marksman kit efficiently.

Comment

back when i was with PELA in C6 (PR Tourney), all new members had several hours of training on tactics & SOP

This included an excellent session on suppressing fire with using the assault rifles and lmgs

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Zelenka View Post
                              Covering Fire is useless in most situations, start blasting that SAW and you get a crosshair on your face within seconds, oops, there goes the automatic rifleman kit.

What squads need to learn is the ability to deploy smoke cover, flanking precedures, the ability to attack from a different direction/vantage point.

As a commande,r I noticed most squad leaders are completely useless when it comes to ground tactics and just use a linear, straight point approach heading directly towards amrker and gettign gunned down. Brains size of peanut. Sheesh.

Suppressing fire, can be used by marksmen and sharpshooters (not snipers, snipers are completely USELESS at suppressing the enemy, will you ppl learn that basic fact?) a long distance away covering the other 4 members of the squad that are moving up under smoke cover. Tactics 101, yet many ppl fail to implement and use a marksman kit efficiently.

When the class sign ups happen, I want you to be one of the first ones on the list. You may be suprised.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X