Special Operations: Usefull or Useless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Operations: Usefull or Useless

Many players see a locked squad titled "Spec Ops" and instantly think "Rambo". Although in many occasions I've seen one of these squads destroy multiple bunkers/firebases, hinder construction of assets via blowing a CP and stop enemy movements with C4 and mines. But, this is what the ideal Special Operations squad will do and is sometimes not the case. Some use the kit for combat and thats fine. Others abuse the kit. But, in the end, when factoring everything into account, I believe these squads and kits, when used properly, are very usefull.

-How many times has your squad been slaughtered because a firebase has been built 100m from your rally?
    -A Special Operations unit can drop SLAMS ensuring the Firebase falls and your team can advance.

I have been in several "Spec Ops" squads and I find them effective and above all fun. Its really cool to sneak through the grass knowing you can't fire and if you are seen its game over. One of my tactics is to blow the enemy CP or bridge then retreat back 200m then when its repaired I'll blow it again. Never letting the CO have a change to place a Firbase/Bunker or the enemy's vehicles to cross over. Sometimes it even distracts an entire squad who are then ordered to defend that asset whether it be a bridge or CP.

I know some players cringe when they see such squads...

I just wanted to know how you guys feel about Special Operations and your experiences if you have ever been in a successful one.
    |TG|
    ||||

Re: Special Operations: Usefull or Useless

Do whatever you need to so I can focus on capping flags.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Spec ops suck. The only reason they're worth a darn is the grapple and ability to laze.

.8 will make the spec ops better - no, not the kit. for the team. It'll make spec ops more realistic (The way it always should have been)
      Skud

Comment

And I assume you aren't allowed to elaborate upon this skud? Or if you can, please do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
          Spec ops suck. The only reason they're worth a darn is the grapple and ability to laze.

.8 will make the spec ops better - no, not the kit. for the team. It'll make spec ops more realistic (The way it always should have been)
          Thank god.

I go spec ops sometimes-- it does help the team in an indirect manner, other than capping flags.
          Blow up Cp==>Someone has to go build it back up ( 5 mins)====> No fb's or bunkers= easier defense for the flag squad.

Blow up bridge==> No vehicles for a while===> Easier defense and assaults for friendly squads.

Blow up enemy FBs and Bunkers==> Easier everything.

The slams ensure destruction of the enemy assets, so if you are killed running away, there are no problems.

Comment

Engineers can do all of the above...and aren't inclined (with the exception of Ghost Train) to create "Sabotage" squads.

Comment

Although engineers can do this, thye don't have slams which are garenteed to destroy whatever they are placed on. I don't know how many times I've placed C4 but have been killed while waiting those 5 long seconds. Also, the silenced pistol allowed you to take a target down without him even knowing you were near. Plus the grappling hook can provide swift and quick get aways when your closed in.
              |TG|
              ||||

Comment

Originally posted by =Sonic_Striker= View Post
                Although engineers can do this, they don't have slams which are garenteed to destroy whatever they are placed on.
                C4 destroys everything.

I don't know how many times I've placed C4 but have been killed while waiting those 5 long seconds.
                Don't be seen.

Also, the silenced pistol allowed you to take a target down without him even knowing you were near.
                As an Engineer, I have a rifle that I can get a headshot on somebody (if I was close enough to use the silenced pistol that is) and not give him ANY time to react. And if he's to far away to do that. Lay down and place some accurate center mass shots.

Plus the grappling hook can provide swift and quick get aways when your closed in.
                If you have to use the grappling hook to get away...you weren't effective in the first place.
                As an Engineer, I will have 5 other guys backing me up if I get into trouble. That's how I will get away when I'm closed in.

Comment

I dont think spec ops squads work that well as they take infantry out of the battle, but when in an infantry squad on some maps it is usefull to have a Spec ops person in the enemy main, for example on sunset city today there had been several attempts to attack the main without inteligence. To try and get a more efficient assault going i opted to go spec ops, move to the enemy main and take up post ontop of a building, relaying information about troop numbers and movements over teamspeak directly to the commander and therefore the team. This proved very usefull as allthough a full scale assault was not made, the team was quickly and efficiently able to deal with enemies leaving the area as well as having the advantage of the enemy not beaing able to build via me blowing the CP. I think for this kind of advantage it is worth sparing maybe 1 person to relay intel, but it only work if the comander is on ts. Taking more than one person out of the battle is a waste in my opinion.

Sabotage is a Different story, these squads can be used effectively on maps such as fools road and Jabal Al Burj where the enemy has a restriced path, ie they only have two roads to use. Today on fools road I lead one ambush squad and Fuzzhead another, each covering one of the two main roads, by doing this we were effectively able to cut of the enemy supply chain, Leaving Armoured vehicles unable to pass, and supply trucks stuck in village or the roads disabling the enemies building ability. This gave the team a Huge advantage in my opinion, as allthough several armour pieces were able to pass before we took up positions, we managed to take out around 7 APCs ad possibly around 4 command trucks worth of infantry, not to mention the destruction of enemy rally points in the area.

XD

Comment

Originally posted by ollie_fool View Post
                    I dont think spec ops squads work that well as they take infantry out of the battle, but when in an infantry squad on some maps it is usefull to have a Spec ops person in the enemy main, for example on sunset city today there had been several attempts to attack the main without inteligence. To try and get a more efficient assault going i opted to go spec ops, move to the enemy main and take up post ontop of a building, relaying information about troop numbers and movements over teamspeak directly to the commander and therefore the team. This proved very usefull as allthough a full scale assault was not made, the team was quickly and efficiently able to deal with enemies leaving the area as well as having the advantage of the enemy not beaing able to build via me blowing the CP. I think for this kind of advantage it is worth sparing maybe 1 person to relay intel, but it only work if the comander is on ts. Taking more than one person out of the battle is a waste in my opinion.

Sabotage is a Different story, these squads can be used effectively on maps such as fools road and Jabal Al Burj where the enemy has a restriced path, ie they only have two roads to use. Today on fools road I lead one ambush squad and Fuzzhead another, each covering one of the two main roads, by doing this we were effectively able to cut of the enemy supply chain, Leaving Armoured vehicles unable to pass, and supply trucks stuck in village or the roads disabling the enemies building ability. This gave the team a Huge advantage in my opinion, as allthough several armour pieces were able to pass before we took up positions, we managed to take out around 7 APCs ad possibly around 4 command trucks worth of infantry, not to mention the destruction of enemy rally points in the area.
                    Both examples of effective Special Operations
                    |TG|
                    ||||

Comment

Somebody posted 100 yards (distance pending on map) outside the enemy main could have done the same exact thing in the first example.

In the 2nd...those are ambush squads, not spec ops. Engineers and L-AT/H-AT were used in combination with infantry for protection and ammunition.

And I said...

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
                      Engineers can do all of the above...and aren't inclined (with the exception of Ghost Train) to create "Sabotage" squads.

Not once did I say Spec Ops squads couldn't be effective.

Comment

Unfortunatly, most of the time (I play Spec Ops quite often, Bi Ming mainly =D) These kits are useless...

1) Assets are easy to repair/rebuild (command post mainly), and wont be that big of a deal.
                        2) There are ALWAYS natural bridges... except for maybe Fools Road, but we're not allowed to blow that bridge =(
                        3) I've killed maybe... 3 poeple with my pistol? (Less with the M4/w/e else) Even when 4 bullets obviously connected, I still died.
                        4) Engy kits are just as usefull...
                        5) If we could (can we?) Blow up other assets, such as vehicles, it would be much better.
                        6) Its hard to hide with the BF2 engine! =(

I had some more... But yeah, I can make lists like this about everything..
                        |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

I dunno, I've had many experiences where I hid effectively and I use the silenced pistol just as well as a rifle.

Oh and I believe you can detroy the fools road bridge.
                          |TG|
                          ||||

Comment

I like the pistol and the cute hat. Hook is good too. I think some people hate on the kit instead of the 1337zorz who take it needlessly. Used in coordination with other squads, it can be a means of super-sneaky-surprise-attack via hook and normally secure (therefore unfortified) roof-top/wall/very large duck.

Haikus are easy.
                            But sometimes they don't make sense.
                            Refrigerator.

Comment

though the engy has only 1 C4, the specops squad should have resupply anyway if it wants to remain useful for prolonged periods of time (i.e. destroying multiple bridge sections, assetts)
                              Only the Engy has landmines, each capable of incapacitating an MBT
                              The Engy has a shovel, which can be used to build "preemptive (sp?)" firebases behind the lines with the help of some huey supplies

ideally, you shouldnt have to kill anybody, as that player will now come looking for you (with help if he's smart). so the silenced pistol is only useful for coolness factor.

The only advantages i see with the specops kit is the grappling hook and soflam. Even then, the grappling is most useful working with a sniper team, not a sabotage squad, and the SL should have the officer kit with the soflam (+RPs)

IMO the current SF kit has no place in "Conventional War" Project Reality. It should replaced by a "spotter kit", basically the current SF kit w/ explosives replaced by 2-3 frag grenades and wearing a ghillie suit to match the sniper he's supposed to work with.

Units such as Marine Force Recon/MARSOC, MEC sf, British SAS/SBS, Army Green Berets, etc should be separate factions in a PR:SF minimod

but before i get carried away with myself, such a minimod is not even under serious consideration by anyone with modding skills i know of, so for right now, i guess its fine for the Specops kit to stay...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X