New Sniper item...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sniper item...

I have been thinking about this for a while now. I play sniper maybe once or twice a month at most. It is a kit that I like to play, but not really fun in terms of teamwork and action.

There is just one thing that I feel snipers NEED. A rangefinder. I feel that with the rangefinder, hitting targets at a distance will become a lot easier than it is now. Last time I played sniper, my SL ordered me to take out targets that were at least +500m away. If the sniper kit had a range finder it would of been a lot easier to determine exactly how much bullet drop I would need to account for, rather than giving away my position and randomly trying to hit them.

Besides, its not like the rangefinder adds that much advantage. Its basically a pair of binoculars that give you how far it is to the target. Like the SOFLAM without the zooming capability. Mind you guys, I rarely create a sniper squad and only play as sniper when targets need to be taken out at extreme range. So putting a marker on them is usually out of the question.
    Created by Sonic

Re: New Sniper item...

1. This is why you create a sniper squad and have the squad leader spot for you.
    2. Bullet drop doesn't need to be accounted for until the target is over 600m in PR.

Comment

They have them - SF kits have the SOFLAM which does indicate range. Either that, or you can use move markers. On PW nights since kits are screwy, have the spotter go OFFICER and the shooter go SNIPER. No need for SF kit then :)
      Skud

Comment

Hmm, I know about all that. I was just saying that a range finder would be nice. Do they just not give one to snipers so they don't go solo? Meaning that will NEED a spotter with range finding capabilities.

Also, I know about the 600m thing. On Kashan, my SL asked me to take out targets that were on the Northern Ridge to the north of North Village. That was at least +600 meters. He was to busy trying to coordinate with the non-voip players using the markers. So my request for an attack marker to use as a range finder was ignored.
        Created by Sonic

Comment

All your spotters gonna do is just give your position away. I never have a spotter when i snipe, I just don't think its a good idea. They could be doing more intimate combat with another SQD, then just sitting there looking through your binoculars, but sooner or later you'll get good enough to take that cold bore shot and hit your target dead center in his head from range. Like they say it takes practice..

*If you really need a range estimate when your a sniper, make a SQD and use your marking abilitys*

The chickens in the pot! - onemanwreckingcrew08

Comment

Mvk3hl, I think Caffeine and I would disgree with the whole "Snipers are only good solo, and spotters aren't a good idea" thing. I feel that a spotter is a must in a sniper team....
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

for some people its a must, but for others its not..

Comment

I don't know why people even snipe right now.

Well, I can't atleast. With the deviation coming back everytime you move the scope, its just simply way to difficult.

Comment

A range finder is a good idea but its not all that necessary because like people have said, there are move markers. You cant get a sniper kit without two people in a squad anyway.. My guess is that the Dev's made it so that two people are required in a squad to get a sniper kit (sniper and spotter). They go hand in hand. If the devs didnt want people to spot for snipers then they would have made it so that one person in a squad alone can get it.

Also, the range finder would need to me made and modeled, UV'd and all that stuff. (unless they just used SOFLAM model minus the lasing.)
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I don't know if this has been shown before but I think this is an excellent example of a sniper team at work.

It also sugests to me that a majority of the time, at least in built up areas working in pairs is not only good for targetting assets (such as officers, medics and HAT units, in the video) but the additional pair of eyes on their back turns them into a considerable close combat fighting force, therefore, staying afloat and continuing to do the job at key moments and on key people.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1062760[/media]

or large screen: www.vimeo.com/1062760

fuzzhead (spotter), dbzao (sniper). fuzzhead is squad leader with a special forces kit. And it seems at least on these kinds of maps to work wonders when working like these two do here <thumbs up to you both by the way - excellent teamwork>.

Comment

Here is a simple answer.
                      Don't pick the sniper kit!
                      It has no real use in PR since people use it the wrong way. Realistically snipers are mainly for recon, not for getting 20 kills. Even when they do go out on missions to kill they only attack certain targets. Marksmen are for killing, snipers are more for recon and important person kills.
                      Don't come and flame me about this for a stupid reason. If you want to argue what a sniper does go do some research first.

Of course some people do use the sniper kit properly, I've haven't ever seen it used right more than once.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                      In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
                        Here is a simple answer.
                        Don't pick the sniper kit!
                        It has no real use in PR since people use it the wrong way.
                        I think that is quite debatable. Snipers can keep the enemy's heads down while an attack squad approaches. Just because people use the kit the wrong way doesn't mean it has no use in PR.

Comment

Yea, plus the effective range of the sniper is much greater than that of the Marksman. Snipers, when played effectively, can help sway a flag cap towards the attacking team.
                          Created by Sonic

Comment

When I a Sniper Im always SL, and I put markers on my targets, and thus: Range. =)
                            |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                              Mvk3hl, I think Caffeine and I would disgree with the whole "Snipers are only good solo, and spotters aren't a good idea" thing. I feel that a spotter is a must in a sniper team....
                              Word, almond king. Four eyes are better than two. We have made use of the spotter's guns for defense many times. I luvz my pistol.

Haikus are easy.
                              But sometimes they don't make sense.
                              Refrigerator.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse