Aggravations related to Commanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggravations related to Commanding

Ok, on Kashan the other day I was running around in a squad, when I realized, theres no CO, so I ask my SL if its too late to CO and he says no so I jump back in that chair. Now my biggest issue this time was almost noone payed attention to me! I'm tellng them to help set up postioins at our last flag, and tried sending some squads to try and get the other flag so we have some buffer room. No dice. ITS SO AGGRAVATING! Then I have one guy sitting there wasting ammo in the BTR on two of them. Maybe the only squads that were active were the armor the CAS and Helos squads and one small infantry squad, everyone else is sitting at the airfield! Note to self don't get innto the CO spot when team is losing badly
    sigpic
    <a href="http://www.metro2033forum.net">metro 2033 forum</a>

Re: Aggravations related to Commanding

Originally posted by DeltaFart View Post
    Note to self don't get innto the CO spot when team is losing badly

This isn't a very good creed to go by. Yeah, losing isn't fun...but I, and many other people, have pulled many comebacks in situations like that. Give them a reason to listen to you. If morale is low, get it back up. Get excited and your guys will to.

You can ALWAYS report squad leaders that disobey orders.

Comment

Yeah i hate when that happens.

But i joined miesta (spelling?) earlyer and i was to late to join a squad so i went CO (something im not very fammiliar with).

On fairness to my squads they asked my advice and obeyed my orders even though i told them all im not a good CO.

We ended up winning by 17 points.

Its stresfull, non rewording and lonly,but i liked it.

Try Co man, it is satisifining but you may break into a cold sweat.

Worst thing ever happened to me earlyer. Joined TG server. Only squad with a spot on EJOD i joined. NOT ONE HAD VOIP. Thats a fu(king discrace. Its ok for 5 out of 6 in a squad to have VOIP, but the whole squad not having it???

In my opinion they should have all been kicked. Theres loads of servers out there that dont use VOIP, why should the best (TG) be one of them?
      Nihility

Comment

can i post an aggravation from yesterday?

we were on quai river. trying to defend the south bridge and keep enemies from advancing in that area. they had armor and a firebase just across the river, and had managed to repair the bridge. CO ordered us to attack fishing village. ok...flank east of govt, north of fishing, and across the river we swam. get in position for an assault....CO orders us back across the river. "dont want to lose tickets attacking village" was the reason. no help needed at govt, just didnt want to lose tix attacking. fine....across the river we swim (under heavy fire from the enemy) get to the river bank and regroup....CO orders us to attack fishing. i ask if he is serious....that we were just ordered by him to cross back to the east....that 1/2 my squad died on the swim....that we were under heavy fire on ther river bank. "attack fishing!" was the response. fine....across the river we swim....grrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Some opinions from me:

Sometimes i am commander, sometimes its fine, sometimes its worst.

I do commander if i join the server and no one is co, or if i join a squad at the beginning i say to the squadleader i will hop out of the squad and hold my spawn if there is no co at start of map, because a co without an officer kit out of nowhere is nothing.

SQL ALWAYS say your SQ NUMBER! I know some people from their voice, but not all.

Sometimes sql asked me about my communication: If i am sql i hate it when the co is always talking to all squads, you cant communicate with your squad. So i only say the priority things on VOIP. I always hope sql know their squadnumber. And co always should know that he can speak with an unique sql with "B". It should be ok if i write: sq1, 3, and 5 defend west tower, others defend east.

Sql should check the minimap sometimes, so they dont run 15 m away from a fb or bunker that needs shovels. If you see a unbuilded fb and you are more than 50% sure that is a good spot for a fb, build it.

Next thing: worst thing is when i hear "CO i need a build order", but he didnt ask for one. sql can ask with the common rose, not in VOIP (dont know who, where, ...).

If i ask a player to hop in my comm truck to build a fb, please come with the CO.

My orders:
          1. rp, build fb, bunkers
          2. destroy rp, fb, bunkers
          3. cap flag

It doesnt bring anything if you attack a flag and there is a bunker, fb up near of it. First priority kill the bunker / fb. Normaly we lose more tickets by attacking then defending.
          If you have a chance to build, build! If you have a flag and a truck/crates put down a bunker. You can build it later. A bunker or fb has the advantage that the enemy focus on that, so other squads can do other things while the enemy has to work on that fb or bunker.

Designated Role Squads:

Look at the beginning of the name of other squads, we dont need 4 chopper/jet squads, all with 6 pilots, or 3 full squads to destroy the enemy cp. Tanks without inf support, doesnt work well. If you make a tank squad, please try to get minimum 1 engi. I dont lose a word for one manning apcs, tanks, you know it what i want to say about that.

If you are sql tell your soldiers to not spawn into death, it doesnt bring something if you spawn on a rp, fb or bunker that is spawncamped (or like in Qwai River: if the team has mine, proc / estate, temple, dont spawn in GOV if its hot there, only wasting tickets, its hard to get out there if its under attack). If a flag is out of play and the other flag is secured no need to defend there. (same in kashan). i hope you know what i want so say.

Transportation:

If a commander drives somewhere with a truck dont steal it. ask before you drive away!
          its very frustration to go back to main and drive a new truck through the whole map.

At Kashan: Chopper needs a time to get to a LZ. they are not jets, and they are not flying into a hot killzone. If you ask for extraction be sure that there are not 5 Hummvees shooting at the incoming heli! also you can ask yourself by typing: "Chopper sq3 needs extraction from e4 kp 3, its safe now". Chopper pilots should then say "Yes, No, on the way, not its hot there". Make sure that your soldiers are there then. Heli pilots dont like it to wait 5 min on the ground that all sqmembers come to the chopper. If you ride with a chopper and your LZ is hot type a alternative place where you want the drop. DONT SHOOT THE MINIGUN!!! (if there is no target). Dont waste the TOW Humvees for transportation and left them out of nowhere.

If you are sql and get a order from commander confirm it with yes (if you dont want to lose your attack/move marker say it in VOIP). If you cant follow the order not only confirm it with no. Say or type: "not yet, working on a rp, fb, capping now ..., we are a sniper squad, its hot there, ....).

If you have troubles say it to the CO, he can send backup and reinforcements or send a squad to defend a flag. (Kashan, Mestia). Losing a flag happens, but its going worst if the CO dont know about this. Losing Bunkers -> South/North vill, outpost, = end of the game.

If you dont like the style of commanding: Type: "CO RETREAT" and go yourself as CO.
          Beeing Commander not from beginning of the game is very hard, dont forget that.

Thats some things i wanted to say.

With the "normal" SQL i always like to command. (But had times when a SQL said to me in VOIP "fu..." commander, ...) Its a game, dont forget that.

| | | |

Comment

I remember one round, when I had my squad defending a CP and requested a build order to get a bunker up, since we needed ammo and kits and he kept ignoring me. I spammed the Request build order all over the teamchat and nothing!! NOTHING!!

His only response was 'I need transport' over commo rose as he was sitting next to a firebase waiting for a Vodnik to spawn.

Or a commander placing down a firebase next to my RP, repeatedly telling me to build it and me telling that to my squad, which I can't get together (had one lost rifleman and 2 snipers and 2 H-ATs ) then finally two die, I tell them to respawn at the RP and build the firebase, meanwhile someone else came and started shoveling and thats when commander comes and knives my squad's RP in front of my face, saying that it was blocking the spawn of an unbuilt firebase.

No RP meant that now the two dead SMs spawned somewhere else and again my squad was even more apart and the hypocrite commander just made things worse for me.
            At least he could wait for my SMs to spawn so I could re-set it or warn me...
            I can't recall the name since I have never seen him before but I can recall he had a TG tag on, but I know that anyone can put that in front of their name, so not accusing TGers of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd_Wiggler View Post
              can i post an aggravation from yesterday?

we were on quai river. trying to defend the south bridge and keep enemies from advancing in that area. they had armor and a firebase just across the river, and had managed to repair the bridge. CO ordered us to attack fishing village. ok...flank east of govt, north of fishing, and across the river we swam. get in position for an assault....CO orders us back across the river. "dont want to lose tickets attacking village" was the reason. no help needed at govt, just didnt want to lose tix attacking. fine....across the river we swim (under heavy fire from the enemy) get to the river bank and regroup....CO orders us to attack fishing. i ask if he is serious....that we were just ordered by him to cross back to the east....that 1/2 my squad died on the swim....that we were under heavy fire on ther river bank. "attack fishing!" was the response. fine....across the river we swim....grrrrrrrrrr
              I was wondering why you guys were swimming away. I was on a chinese spec ops squad destroying rp's and I was shooting at you all the way across the river, I couldnt believe you were runnin away when you had the advantage...

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...inters-pr.html

Comment

I;ve done this 3 times before I've never had such a hard time just getting guys out of the airfield let alone the flag about 200 meters away from it
                  sigpic

Comment

Just put a bunker down where you want the team to go roughly. The guys with no rp will spawn there and whammy! you got some random defense troops

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

yeah I was trying that no dice, again noone left the airfield
                      oh yeah they dropped a jdam on the completed bunker :D I was like are you serious? At least when I did it there was something there
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman1987 View Post
                        I was wondering why you guys were swimming away. I was on a chinese spec ops squad destroying rp's and I was shooting at you all the way across the river, I couldnt believe you were runnin away when you had the advantage...

i couldn't believe it either...

Comment

If you have a specific tactic which you want to do as a commander then you should try to execute that tactic. If the squads will not follow your orders and decide on their own separate plans which interfere with the tactic you want the team to use, then you should resign as commander and not be brought down in terms of your own expectations.

I know that plans can be assembled by a commander for the indiviudal squads which allows the whole team to be utilized efficiently, that is to increase the chance of winning and the winning margin. To be forced to command insubordinates might cause you to lower your expectations for commanding. But it can be done! i know many have seen it; A perfect game where all the squads move quickly, Intel travels fast and clearly and is acted upon swiftly... Assets are used without obscurity and organized in most effective way (for example, little bird drop parties on qwai river can really own in the begging game, but it needs to be organized slightly by the com) and the result is a crushing win...

I noticed today when i tried to command on a 100 gap ticket loss on US side qwai river map (i joined as the loosing streak was getting at it's widest and there was no commander) that something happened when i could not actually bring the idea i had into play. I came in with a strong desire to defend the mine and abandon processing facility. I spent time to explain to the squads that the ticket loss was so large, that i had no interest in attempting for the flags, but that instead i wanted to experiment by using the whole team to defend mine and attempting to ambush the tanks before the entrance gate (both tanks had been up)... I only saw this tactic working by having a very well defined defense, that is to have specific squads placed to defend specific areas of the mine flag.. two on the east hill region, one on the bunker near the rear cliff, one up from near the gate (lots of mines down the road) which could retreat back and assist on the east hills, or west hill / coast region... and one "flanking squad" which would consist of APC's or other assets no infantry assets.

When i realized that my idea would not beable to be brought into working, i decided to abandon commanding... There was no reason for me to continue, i had the idea which i wanted to use and attempted to assemble it, could not assemble it in time and then resigned towards attempting my tactic... Which was not necessarily designed to "win" or be good or any of that... It was merely to be an experiment to see what happens if the whole team defended mine and did not go out to engage the enemy but forced them to attack the mine... I am curious as how the other team would react to this, and i am curious to see how they would attack it and how well they would be repelled...

either way...
                          listen close
                          to the rat-tat-tat-
                          as the metal flies,
                          we should know as fact:
                          that unearthly demons
                          are part of our pack,
                          and as we engage you
                          in battle we pass.

Comment

Commanding is a lonely, thankless job. Sometimes SLs follow you and sometimes they don't. You get blamed for taking action and for not taking action; for being in the fight and for not being in the fight; for giving orders and for not giving orders. I find that the best you can do is to try to motivate the team to work as a team and ask up front for the help of the SLs. You CANNOT win alone and no one should blame the commander for loosing. It is very similar to being a good SL - if the squad follows, you do well; if they don't you don't.

I would hope that anyone that jumps into the chair would at least be given the opportunity to try and get at least the initial support from all the SLs - unless of course the orders are totally crazy (like walk a squad across Kashan).

It is good for everyone to re-read the TG creed sometimes. You should follow all SL and Commander orders unless they are unreasonable.

I like the job if the team trys together - that is the essence of TG and PR. I played last sunday on the mostly loosing side - we lost about 6 out of 7 rounds. It was great because my squad (Cheetos) always tried to stay together and we did our level best to support whatever commander came along. Winning or loosing in PR isn't the point, it is all about teamwork.
                            sigpic

Comment

As has been said, it's all depends on the team members and SL's. Sometimes while commanding few listen because they think they know everything or are just too new to the game. And sometimes everyone is coordinating their moves and what their squad should be/do through the commander. Everything goes so smooth then and the win is easier to secure i assure you guys!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X