Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why must helo pilots, fly when they are not needed????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why must helo pilots, fly when they are not needed????

Seriously, tell me why it is so essential for you to get into a chopper and fly alone (especially useless when there is a door gunner slot available), or in a huey or transport LB when you are asked not to by a CO or fellow SLs/teammates and yet you do and end up crashing, costing tickets, accidentally killing teammates, causing teammates to get vehicle damage because of your wrong doing, eliminating yourself???

Please I would like to know......I am being completely serious I am not being sarcastic I want to know, this question has been boggling around in my brain since i first .4. Justify your reasons, justify your reasons for flying alone near a squad trying to go get a flag, near a bridge, near a dam that there is heavy fire (or that you just died in a chopper as the same spot less than 5mins prior) etc. I would really like to understand why it is important. Is it too hard to think "hmmm it might cause more harm then good, maybe i should grab a rifle and help defend or attack a flag."

Now I realize that most of you are not registered users, and probably don't even know where to find www.tacticalgamer.com but hey i might be wrong as to why it is useful. You might change my mind.

Now, i can't speak for the rest of my fellow TG'ers, but if you answer and use LOL a smiley face or anything like that, no matter how convincing it may be i won't take you seriously.

I am just a guy looking for a serious answer. This is not a rant just a question that I hope will garner a response that is well thought out, and might change my opinion if i see it use in game in the future.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Why must helo pilots, fly when they are not needed????

That's a great question Randy.

Boredom?

It does seem a little stupid to just fly around and draw fire. More times than not the chopper is lost and then when it is really needed it isn't around. At least find a safe place on the map to orbit until called for.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I am more annoyed at people in my squad that come from Vanilla and go, "Lets get into the chopper."

When asked if they could fly, i get the response... "I was a great pilot in the regular BF2."

::10 seconds of silence::

Boot out of squad and lock.

Most people honestly just don't know that choppers are not the same as in BF2. Albeit I stopped playing BF2 like two years ago and choppers were pretty strong. So I am not sure if they have changed that since then. But the point is, people like to do the same thing that they liked in vBF2. Or they are lazy and rather fly a chopper around instead of walking with the squad.

But I have seen some people get into a chopper, flip it over, bail out, get into another chopper, and then flip it over again. Its mind boggling, but its like that old saying.....

"When at first you don't succeed, do the exact same thing again."
      Created by Sonic

Comment

D1sposable and the chapkid thank you for your responses, however, I would really like to hear from those who do fly when it is not needed....who are the ones that are in question. I agree with both of your statements don't get me wrong, but i hope that those who do feel that it is their duty for life and country to fly a empty helo when it is not needed would reply. Even if its only one person......

Thank you though for responding. Very Much Appreciated.
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Helis can be used to spot, the smallest ones are scout class. The best example of that would be the tanks vs tow on qwai but it could apply on every map.
          Its best to have contact via voip because spotting manually is a bit perilous

Returning to base often for resupply and wait for flares to cycle is a good idea too

I agree it doesnt really work like it should though, a good example is the old helo on kufrah. That should have been invaluable for seeing tank movements but it got removed instead :row__578:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Who are you to say when an asset is "needed," or whether it's being wasted? If you're on the ground, enlighten me as to how you can tell whether a helo is just lollygagging around or if it's laying low to avoid an enemy AA asset?

Also, thank you for reminding me why I stopped playing PR. I'm not sure why I pop into this forum still from time to time, other than from morbid curiosity and my own entertainment, but I can't help but chime in this time.

:)
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I dont really know what to say. Its a little confusing for me because i dont really know what an appropriate answer would be. I dont normally see alot of people flying around aimlessly. I know i get text yelled at from people who are like this...." YOU STUPID HELICOPTER PILOTS GET OFF THE CARRIER AND COME PICK UP MY SQUAD!!"

Now when i get yelled at like that after telling the squad that the spot they have as an LZ is not safe. Sure it may be clear of infantry but there could be AA anywhere within like 600M. Its sad that people like the example above will yell like that an pilots will go after them because they want to do good. Unfortunatley those pilots may not know that there is anti air in the area. So the heli goes down and the INF bitch about it.(Pardon my language).

If the helis die to much from flying around and getting hit by AA. Think about this. What if there was an AA and the helis didnt know about it but the inf did? Whos at fault that the heli goes down? BOTH inf and the heli. Im sure i dont need to explain why but seeing as i have time lets go into that. Teamwork is required between the heli and the infantry. If the infantry have an AA spotted TELL the heli. Dont keep it to yourself and the cry and whine because the heli just got shot down.

Then it goes the other way. If the heli doesnt know whether or not there is AA in the area then it shouldnt be cruising around the map, risking their lives. If your a heli pilot and people ask for a ride. Ask them if there is any known dangers in the area of the LZ. If there is no known threats, go for it. If the heli still gets shot down well then life sucks. But really.

It may seem that heli pilots are getting shot down from just tearing around the map. Which some may be doing. But for all you know they are on a mission to get somone.

I hope that answers your question Randy.
              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I did this when I started PR and usually used it to spot. I'd always try and stay away from friendlies and if I ever got shot I would go back to main and just wait. Or if someone needed a ride I'd head off to them asap. Now though it's basically useless since you can't infantry spot spam anymore. I only did it on maps when I joined in late game and there wasn't any squads to join and nobody was using the chopper. I only ever did this on OGT since nobody really used the choppers there.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

The only time i've ever really been guilty of this was on kashan flying the blackhawks/sky cows. But even then, it was simply due to the fact that the team was completely across the map and nobody needed a ride. Nevertheless, I never went more than about 200m from the airfield just in case someone needed a ride.

However, on maps like qwai, pilots need to suck it up and sit in base if nobody needs a ride. Getting shot down because you were bored and felt like going flying costs assets and valuable time.

Comment

The prime suspect is boredom.

While I don't fly off in maps where choppers are more or less ESSENTIAL (Read: Jabal, Qwai at times) I also don't exactly stick around base all day on maps where they aren't (Read: Kashran. Big time, namely on 16. In fact, I think I've only had to transport a squad once a game, if that.) as I might as well just quit the game and do something else.

Basically, it all boils down to boredom and because they largely aren't needed, although if they aren't there at all peeps complain. Especially predominant on maps like Kashran 16 where everyone is Infantry, leading to just long conflicts without much headway (IE: Rally/Bunker/Firebase destruction) for either side, so squads don't need a ride from their main. Mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamerofthegame View Post
                      The prime suspect is boredom.

While I don't fly off in maps where choppers are more or less ESSENTIAL (Read: Jabal, Qwai at times) I also don't exactly stick around base all day on maps where they aren't (Read: Kashran. Big time, namely on 16. In fact, I think I've only had to transport a squad once a game, if that.) as I might as well just quit the game and do something else.

Basically, it all boils down to boredom and because they largely aren't needed, although if they aren't there at all peeps complain. Especially predominant on maps like Kashran 16 where everyone is Infantry, leading to just long conflicts without much headway (IE: Rally/Bunker/Firebase destruction) for either side, so squads don't need a ride from their main. Mm?
                      Kashan not needed? The BH is an asset with the mini gun.......its pretty good at strafing/taking out trucks etc, and is useless IMHO when there is no gunner that is an engi......but thats is my humble opinion.

Good feedback from all.....including the guy who doesn't play PR anymore because he might not like the commander instructing him on what to do.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

LOL :) helos go high!

Comment

I think the best "WTF?" moment with choppers was...maybe on Kashan. An infantry squad with engis and ATs was stealthily flanking an enemy armored position...until a friendly chopper cruised up and hovered about 40m overhead. They hadn't requested and didn't want a ride, but the chopper continued to follow them like a tiny little personal thundercloud.
                          |TG-6th|Belhade
                          "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                            Seriously, tell me why it is so essential for you to get into a chopper and fly alone (especially useless when there is a door gunner slot available), or in a huey or transport LB when you are asked not to by a CO or fellow SLs/teammates and yet you do and end up crashing, costing tickets, accidentally killing teammates, causing teammates to get vehicle damage because of your wrong doing, eliminating yourself???

Please I would like to know......I am being completely serious I am not being sarcastic I want to know, this question has been boggling around in my brain since i first .4. Justify your reasons, justify your reasons for flying alone near a squad trying to go get a flag, near a bridge, near a dam that there is heavy fire (or that you just died in a chopper as the same spot less than 5mins prior) etc. I would really like to understand why it is important. Is it too hard to think "hmmm it might cause more harm then good, maybe i should grab a rifle and help defend or attack a flag."

Now I realize that most of you are not registered users, and probably don't even know where to find www.tacticalgamer.com but hey i might be wrong as to why it is useful. You might change my mind.

Now, i can't speak for the rest of my fellow TG'ers, but if you answer and use LOL a smiley face or anything like that, no matter how convincing it may be i won't take you seriously.

I am just a guy looking for a serious answer. This is not a rant just a question that I hope will garner a response that is well thought out, and might change my opinion if i see it use in game in the future.

Yah I have seen this a few times and it must just be boredom or youth or both. The other possibility is that they want to practice flying but truly don't understand how easy it is to start a local server, create a squad and grab a pilot kit. I believe these are the only reasons that make sense.

But what really gets me is when you are in a squad that has "infantry" or "gropo" in the title and a squaddie grabs the pilot kit without permission or keeps saying: "hey are the choppers up yet? I should get a pilot kit." And then they go on to explain how that would be 'helpful' to the squad after the SL says a firm "no".
                            submit7

Comment

I only like flying transports...

I usually create a squad call ausair, and send a message over chat saying "transport avaliable upon request, no frequent flier points"

If their is no work to do I usually hone my skills around the main base area, especially on Kashan.

Most chopper pilots are pretty good, the one major weakness I see every time are choppers that insist on inserting into hot areas.. just like the PR tips say a 2 min walk is better than a 20 minute respawn.
                              |TG-Irr| Aus-trooper

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X