Something to think about

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to think about

Today I was playing a round of EJOD and I was trying to get my USMC squad moving up to east city. On the way in my supply truck i noticed there was no commander so I promised some love to anyone who would take the job. Sure enough someone took me up on that offer and I had to add another page of shame to my life story ;D

Anywho it turned out to be a commander with only very basic knowledge of commanding. So he asked how to throw up a com post and all that jazz. So i explained the routine on how to do that and accept a build order and I kept trying to help explain things along the way.

The important part of all this was when he said "Thanks for explaining, I was expecting to get yelled at" I laughed for a bit but it just occured to me that maybe that's the problem with those times when we don't see people commanding. I think the TG crowd intimidates people with little experience commanding!

I think we've got some great vet commanders who could pass on some learnin to the new breed. Maybe TGU should organize a comm orientation night or something. I'm not volunteering because I'm a baddie at comm lol. But I'm sure it would go a long way to helping reduce rounds without commanders.

Short of that I think we should make it very clear somewhere that harassing commanders just isn't acceptable. People are going to cringe because of my previous comments on other gentlemens agreements, but how bout we all agree not to give comms a hard time, especially the new ones. I know it's frustrating but on the job training is all we really get in PR ;)

Re: Something to think about

agreed
    |TG-Irr| Aus-trooper

Comment

That has happened to me before... I got so irritated that I switched sides.

Comment

I don't think I have seen anyone ever harras the co, I hear some people say the commander makes bad calls, but nothing harrasing. I think people just don't like taking the boring role or there just scared "of people making fun of them".

Comment

my team at the time didnt follow orders, and blamed their failures on me. >_<

Comment

Thats why my first commanding experience I made sure it was late at night and there were no regulars on my team before I stepped up. We only lost by about 30 tickets I think so it wasn't so bad. :D

Comment

Taking note. I will look into getting a PR Command Module up and running.

I can't garuntee anything speedy, but go ahead and post somethings you might want to see. I feel that if I wrote it all myself, it would turn out like my last module where I didn't go over some of the things that are 2nd nature to me.

Actually, I know this would happen...as I am more comfortable commanding than I am squadleading.

Go ahead, point out some of the things that you feel you need to know in order to become a better commander.

Comment

You just demonstrated what TG is all about, teamwork, maturity, respect to name a few things. Well done. We are supposed to be polite and welcome new-comers.

Comment

I agree, I feel that some people (myself included) don't want to command for fear of 'disappointing' the team. I also get quite nervous giving orders to people who are older than me (I'm sure I'm not the only one).

I'm not sure a TGU class is needed, just for Squad Leaders to keep an eye out to see if the CO is struggling a bit, and help them.
                  Also, Commanders, don't be afraid to ask for help! Everyone was a newbie once, so look to experianced people for guidance!
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

A need a spoken TGU class wouldn't be that great, a written one would do, sense theres not much interactive things you could do.

Comment

That's more what I was aiming for...just a module to post up somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
                        Taking note. I will look into getting a PR Command Module up and running.

I can't garuntee anything speedy, but go ahead and post somethings you might want to see. I feel that if I wrote it all myself, it would turn out like my last module where I didn't go over some of the things that are 2nd nature to me.

Actually, I know this would happen...as I am more comfortable commanding than I am squadleading.

Go ahead, point out some of the things that you feel you need to know in order to become a better commander.
                        We have quite a few talented commanders here in our community. I would write up the module first, then post it for advice/criticism.

Basically, my ideal commander doesn't have to be super1337strategicfancy, just laid back while at the same time, have a game plan. No micromanaging (except with grounded helos, for the logic behind that is just too simple not to do). The CO guides the team to victory, and the team determines whether there is a victory, not the CO.

Of course, that's just the logic part. All the basic stuff like placing CPs (which will be gone in .8), accepting build orders, CO-to-IndividualSLs (which doesn't work for some people).

Good on taking the initiative canadian. As usual, need any help... :)

| |

Comment

Thank you, I might. I will let you know though :). Basicly I will just go over all the tools at the commanders disposal, and then little things you can use to help your team greatly...such as landing zones....even on a map such as Fools Road, landing zone markers can be invaluable.

Unlike the CAS markers, they don't disappear. Very usefull in marking enemy bunkers and the like.....

Comment

Someone plus one Rafterman for showing the real TG values in one fell swoop. Good on ya.

Comment

Exactly, this is the biggest barrier to me being able to command. I'm not very good at realtime, on-your-feet thinking (Which explains why i get behind so much on clickfest-hotkeymad rts games like starcraft, rather play MOO2 ;)) plus the fact i've never commanded any BF2 game, so i have no idea about any of the keys, menus, prereqs, etc. I had bad experience being shoved to commander position on TG NS back in the day, so i tend to avoid leadership positions.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X