How to use Team Speak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Team Speak?

I got the advice from a regular to go on TS when squad leading. I have it installed and did check it out one time, but I am still a bit uncertain about it. So I would like to ask for a few tips on how to properly use it.

Which key-bindings do you use to avoid conflicts or such? (And no I am not that new that you can make believe in the awesomness of Alt-F4.)
    What are the most important commands to remember?

How do you know for sure that you are in the right channel? Telling your plans to the opponent would be stupid but being in the wrong, empty, channel is a waste of opportunity.

On a related note, my SL worked together over TS with another regular and both used locked 4-man squads as the squads should be seen as fireteams. Which are effective with a small size. And I can imagine that talking on team speak and having 5 SMs talking over VOIP might be a bit much. Just to make sure, is it ok to lock squads if the intention is to cooperate with another squad over TS? And this while keep checking the squad list to be sure that other players are still able to join a squad.

Thanks,
    Fishbone
    Last edited by Fishbone; 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM.

Re: How to use Team Speak?

If you have a Logitech G15 then there's a program you can download called G15 TeamSpeak - it tells you what channel you are in, how many others are in that channel, who's speaking and other useful things.
    http://www.schmads.com/g15teamspeak.htm

I use Alt Gr for my TS talk button, as I don't think any games I own use that button. It's up to you which keybinds to use, whichever you are most comfortable with and are not in use. For me, Ctrl & Shift & Numpad+ is next channel, and Ctrl & Shift & Numpad- is previous channel.

Hope this helps,

Westy.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I use the middle mouse button for push-to-talk. There aren't any controls in PR that use it. And if I am doing something that does need it, I have the numpad asterisk bound to mute everything.
      Waldo II

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone View Post
        I got the advice from a regular to go on TS when squad leading. I have it installed and did check it out one time, but I am still a bit uncertain about it. So I would like to ask for a few tips on how to properly use it.

Which key-bindings do you use to avoid conflicts or such? (And no I am not that new that you can make believe in the awesomness of Alt-F4.)
        What are the most important commands to remember?
        Some people have custom binds to take them to specific channels. Personally, I find it easier to just alt+tab out of game and switch manually. Therefore, the most important and only bind you really need is your push to talk button, which you can set to any button on your keyboard.
        How do you know for sure that you are in the right channel? Telling your plans to the opponent would be stupid but being in the wrong, empty, channel is a waste of opportunity.
        Very simple, when you join a channel, ASK. All you have to do is say "which team channel is this" and you'll pretty much instantly get a response as to whether it's USMC, Chinese, British, MEC, militia, etc. So if you join the wrong one, theres only one other choice. :)

On a related note, my SL worked together over TS with another regular and both used locked 4-man squads as the squads should be seen as fireteams. Which are effective with a small size. And I can imagine that talking on team speak and having 5 SMs talking over VOIP might be a bit much. Just to make sure, is it ok to lock squads if the intention is to cooperate with another squad over TS? And this while keep checking the squad list to be sure that other players are still able to join a squad.

Thanks,
        Fishbone
        Fish, locked squads are always alright if theres a specific intent. You're just not allowed to have one man locked squads or locked squads with no purpose. If you've got two guys who are both medics walking around doing nothing in a locked squad, probably a bad idea and someone might gripe at you. But for demonstration purposes, ill give you a short list of things that are ok to have locked squads for:
        • Armor squads
        • pilot squads
        • dedicated AT squads
        • sniper/recon teams
        • multi-squad coordination
        • fireteams
        • special operations squads
        • commander support

Now, the key idea is to be smart about locking the squads. If there are already 8 squads running, creating a 2 man sniper/recon squad probably isnt going to go over well. Otherwise, you're probably ok.

Comment

I use the left Alt button for teamspeak, it conflicts with the 3d icon toggle, which I reassigned to the right Alt button, the left Alt is also my change camera toggle key (default "C") but it works just fine for both.

When you log on to teamspeak, just ask someone in the channel (pr coordination 1 or 2) which side they are on.

Comment

Middle mouse press = TS PTT

Numpad + = Volume up

Numpad - = Volume down.

Ctrl + Shift + X = Switch to Channel X

I have these bound for PRM Public, Admin and both Team Co-Ord channels.

Remember that you have to go TG TS Lobby > BF2 > PRM if you use bound keys in TS as you can't directly jump between channels in different groups/games.

I highly recommend TS Overlay for everyone that doesn't run a Logitech G15.

Comment

If you are looking for how to set it up, check this little video:

http://www.drayu.com/ts_tutorial.rar

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed