me + boredom =

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• me + boredom =

Well since the VioP on the server have been down I really haven't been in the mood to play so I got a little bored and started to mess around on the Kashan 64 trainingmap. I ended up deciding that I needed to play with a sniper rifle for a bit.

It all started well at 600m where there were a bit of bulletdrop and I found out how much and so on. Then I moved to 700m, all of a sudden there was no dust cloud so I could not see where I hit:(

I had nothing better to do so I started at 300m where I had no deviation and went out in 50m increments. At each distance I made 10 measurements and took the average of that. This gave me the following results.

Distance (m) Drop (%)
    350 20.37
    400 28.69
    450 36.98
    500 42.32
    550 48.52
    600 52.93
    650 59.41

The precent is measured as where on the target the bullet hit when shooting at the top of the target and 100 being the bottom. My target was a piece of wood in north village as seen on the pictures below.

Now I ended up get the data above and this gave me the following graph.

Which is a logarithmic graph with the following equation f(x) = 0.61743941*ln(x) 3.4111514, R^2 = 0.9981

I would guess the target is roughly 0.7m high so this give me the following bulletdrop.

Distance (m) Drop (m)
    350 0,1426
    400 0,2009
    450 0,2589
    500 0,2963
    550 0,3397
    600 0,3705
    650 0,4158

giving the following fit.

that is 0.43219477*ln(x)-2.3877143, R^2 = 0.9981

All these data were collected using the USMC M40A3 while the L96 seems to have the same drop so I think it would apply to all the sniper rifles and maybe the marksman rifles too.

Now to be honest I had thought that the bulletdrop would increase exponentially as it does in real life not like this, I dont know if its the engine that wont allow that or its my measurements that are completly off.

As the title states this is just something I did because I was bored and since I didn't get what I expected I would like to see what you experience in this field is, good thing the servers up again otherwise i might keep this up.
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Re: me + boredom =

Do we have the L96 or L115A1 in the game, the latter is bigger caliber 1 shot kill apparently

Damage is reduced by distance as well apparently, this info is shown in the mod files. You might be able to open up a text file and see it

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...me-damage.html

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...elRt_Xl9WyW6VA

In your chart, at 650m the bullet only drops about half a metre. I thought it was more but then I play with marksman rifle usually

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f66-...g-wip-105.html

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I was under the impression that drop was negative IRL if the target was before the zero. I.E. if you put a target in the crosshairs 100m away from your the shot would be high. Now I understood they didn't implement this in PR, but I thought there was no drop until the range at which the rifle is zeroed. Therefore, all shots placed at 600m or less should be dead on given the settings.

Also on the side, I really hate how the devs made it almost impossible to hit a running target with the sniper rifles.
      The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
      #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
      83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Now I remember why calculus bores the freakin hell out of me.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
          Also on the side, I really hate how the devs made it almost impossible to hit a running target with the sniper rifles.

Marksman is better almost always, very few maps require sniper rifle now I reckon.

I like how its now emphasising distance and anticipation for successful kills

You could always wait till they are running towards or away from you. If they know your rough position then you messed up right

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

The only reason why I would ever prefer the sniper rifle over the marksman rifle is because of the added zoom. It makes the job a lot easier when your aiming at something thats as small as a pixel.

As for the drop, guessing is the best way to do it. For a while I really wanted to find out some formula for it so I could get head shots every time. But now I just wing it, and the results is good enough for me.
            Created by Sonic

Comment

Best to fire over peoples heads and lower the aim till the bullet actually hits :) I read somewhere that suppression effect will kick in for near shots overhead in the future so it wont work so well then but now I dont think you can hear bullets passing overhead so they would be unaware till contact is made

Comment

I thought the sniper rifles were zeroed in at 600m, so shouldn't the bullet hit at "0" from 600m at the top of your door where u were aiming?
                |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

If your still bored, could you find what Range Marksmen Rifle are calibrated at. My guess is about 400m. ( the PR guide lies!! )

Comment

Therefore, all shots placed at 600m or less should be dead on given the settings.
                    Wrong. A bullet does NOT travel in a straight line. It is in an arc. If it is zeroed in at 600m, then it will hit high at 400m and low at 800m.

Have you ever fired a weapon? Besides a .22 (they are a poor example)?

When you pull the trigger, the muzzle will lift up due to the expanding gasses from the ignited powder. This is what gives the bullet the arc.

Now, a .22 250 and .22 have very flat trajectory. This makes them good varmit guns, as you don't usually know where the suggested game will appear, and you don't have enough time to adjust. It's a point and shoot kind of deal. Most are sighted in at 100 meters, but that is all just dependant on the terrain you plan on hunting in.

As you start using larger caliber rifles, the recoil is much greater of course...therefore your bullet arc is going to be more.

There are exceptions. I have a lever action Marlin 45-70 Govt that has a much much flatter trajectory than my Sako .270....But that is because my Marlin weighs nearly 10 lbs. while the .270 weighs only 6.

Comment

Yea but in pr its straight till the magic number kicks in. The whole thing is screwy and they are redoing it afaik

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...3-22-9/c02.htm
                      Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 07-10-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
                        Wrong. A bullet does NOT travel in a straight line. It is in an arc. If it is zeroed in at 600m, then it will hit high at 400m and low at 800m...
                        I was under the impression that drop was negative IRL if the target was before the zero. I.E. if you put a target in the crosshairs 100m away from your the shot would be high. Now I understood they didn't implement this in PR, but I thought there was no drop until the range at which the rifle is zeroed. Therefore, all shots placed at 600m or less should be dead on given the settings.
                        You are both right.

Comment

?!?!? This math is killing me head!! All i know is if you put a gun to someones head point blank it will NOT have bullet drop onto the target because its on the targets head! Katanama....wow...you are a genius my friend. I dont think i can ever be that bored. Great work.
                          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Wrong. A bullet does NOT travel in a straight line. It is in an arc. If it is zeroed in at 600m, then it will hit high at 400m and low at 800m.

Have you ever fired a weapon? Besides a .22 (they are a poor example)?

When you pull the trigger, the muzzle will lift up due to the expanding gasses from the ignited powder. This is what gives the bullet the arc.

Now, a .22 250 and .22 have very flat trajectory. This makes them good varmit guns, as you don't usually know where the suggested game will appear, and you don't have enough time to adjust. It's a point and shoot kind of deal. Most are sighted in at 100 meters, but that is all just dependant on the terrain you plan on hunting in.

As you start using larger caliber rifles, the recoil is much greater of course...therefore your bullet arc is going to be more.

There are exceptions. I have a lever action Marlin 45-70 Govt that has a much much flatter trajectory than my Sako .270....But that is because my Marlin weighs nearly 10 lbs. while the .270 weighs only 6.
                            I was referring to PR and that the engine does not use a total arc. I understand that IRL it is an arc. Read the rest of my post; if shots traveled in a straight line then shots on targets at less than the zeroed range would not need any aiming other than putting the center of the crosshairs on the target. No I don't often fire guns. Yes I have only fired .22s. I don't base what I know about ballistics on the .22s I've fired; I base that on what I've read. Please re-read my post as the section you are quoting refers to PR, NOT REAL LIFE.
                            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                            #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                            83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Have to correct you here..the "muzzle lifting" (aka "recoil") occurs AFTER the bullet leaves the muzzle.

While the bullet is inside the barrel , the gun , bullet , gases burning and expanding etc are all one single entity.

To paraphrase .."for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" and in this case the "action" is the bullet being expelled from the gun and this then creates the "equal and opposite reaction" , aka "recoil".

BTW as a matter of interest , the amount of energy your body absorbs during this "recoil" (assuming no artificial absorbing system is employed) is the exact same amount of energy in the bullet as it leaves the barrel but spread out over a much wider area (the butt) rather than being concentrated in a point in the bullet.
                              [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X