Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OODA Loop... What is that?

Good day, gentlemen:

Most of you may not know me since I've recently just joined this forum a week ago. My in-game name is either [-FxH-]L.Snake or |TG| Lq.Snake. Like I said in the introduction thread, I am very impressed on the teamwork and maturity you all have. I've been looking for this for a very long time now and didn't find you guys until a week ago.

I've read some very interesting threads in this forum about strategies and tactics that can be used in gameplay and I just wanted to share with you guys something that some of you may know and most of you may not... OODA Loop.

OODA stands for Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. This concept was developed by a military strategist named Col. John Boyd of the United States Air Force. This sort of serves as a doctrine for fighter and bomber aircrafts but it can also be applied in ground combat. Let me discuss in detail each outline of the OODA Loop.

Observe:
    Prior to an attack you should ALWAYS observe the situation first. You should ask yourself these two simple questions:
    -Are there any armors in the area? If yes, what kind, how many and where are they situated?
    -Are there any infantries in the area? If yes, what kind, how many and where are they situated?
    After observing your environment, that's when you should start thinking about what the best approach is in attacking an objective.

Orient:
    As a squadleader, you have the option to ignore your squad's suggestions or take it and apply it to your strategy. Usually, what you want to do first is ask your squad what they think the best approach is to an attack. But, sometime, you just don't have that much time to discuss so YOU have to make the big decisions. Here is the order of attack you should follow starting with #1 as the most importance:
    1. Tanks
    2. APCs
    3. MGs (machine gunners aka automatic rifleman)
    4. ATs (both light and heavy)
    5. Marksman
    6. Snipers (if you can find them)
    7. Regular Infantries

Decide:
    This is when you decide what action you are going to take in order to accomplish your objective.

Act:
    Simply execute the operation and hope for the best!

I have some examples using this concept which I will post later on if you guys are interested. The reason I wanted to post this thread is because I've seen a lot of squad leaders skip the Observe, Orient, and Decide parts right into the Act. And so many times have squadleaders endangered their own squad and got them killed because of that. I hope to hear some feedbacks from you guys... I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for reading!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Re: OODA Loop... What is that?

Interesting. Especially since I am starting to think about incorporating tactical planning ingame with explaining my plan to the squad members using the 2D map and markers. And this after doing some quick reconaissance (because everything changes relatively fast ingame) of the objective.

However:
    Usually, what you want to do first is ask your squad what they think the best approach is to an attack.
    Don't. You are squad leader for a reason. As a squad leader, your job is to come up with the tactical solution to a problem and explain it to the squad. As a squad member it is your job to help the squad leader define the problem by providing intel and carry out the solution by doing your part of the execution. The exception being is the situation where you have run out of ideas or start to feel that the squad is losing momentum/motivation and you want to hook them back on.

Comment

OBSERVE, the word that most Vanilla BF2 players have never heard about!

How many times have you other SL's spotted an enemy out to your squad only to have someone jump the gun and start firing on them right away? (rather than wait for your squad to get into a better position for the attack...)

I can think of one time in the last few months where I had 5 squaddies that all followed a similar doctrine to this:
      point man: "enemy squad spotted, 300m up the road, requesting orders."
      lead: "Warehouse, flank west with MG, we fire on your go."
      MG: "copy"
      lead: "Looks like incoming littlebird to pick them up, get ready (Nardini?) to fire LAT on bird.
      LAT: "copy, moving for a clean shot on probable LZ...ready."
      MG: "lead, pulling pin on nade, in 5 seconds sh*t hits the fan."
      lead: "squad online, here we go!"
      *BOOM* Nade takes out 2, LAT takes out helo, MG supresses, SL and point man take out remaining 3 infantry.

I'll post a video later from BR
      |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

It is a good procedure, but if you ask the squad everytime then you might seem inceciseve and they will not follow you. You as a squadleader should be able to make these calls.

even if the squadleader do not seem like he is observing he might have intel from the commander, the orient part can also be done quickly, this is because many squadleaders know the flags in and out so he knows whats going on, he knows the most of what can happen because he have been in the situation many times. But sometimes rash decisions are made from the squadleaders part.

Ofcourse come with all the examples you can.
        If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Always best to try tactics out in game first I reckon, because its so much easier to say it then do it.

Especially if you dont operate a regular squad, keep it simple. My next attempt at tactics will be, move in pairs. Thats it, I hope it works :D

Another one I saw being used was, walk only. SL says walk and you dont run till given permission, more time to approach, observe and all the stuff you mention but in a two word command

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by w.WAREHOUSE View Post
            OBSERVE, the word that most Vanilla BF2 players have never heard about!

How many times have you other SL's spotted an enemy out to your squad only to have someone jump the gun and start firing on them right away? (rather than wait for your squad to get into a better position for the attack...)

I can think of one time in the last few months where I had 5 squaddies that all followed a similar doctrine to this:
            point man: "enemy squad spotted, 300m up the road, requesting orders."
            lead: "Warehouse, flank west with MG, we fire on your go."
            MG: "copy"
            lead: "Looks like incoming littlebird to pick them up, get ready (Nardini?) to fire LAT on bird.
            LAT: "copy, moving for a clean shot on probable LZ...ready."
            MG: "lead, pulling pin on nade, in 5 seconds sh*t hits the fan."
            lead: "squad online, here we go!"
            *BOOM* Nade takes out 2, LAT takes out helo, MG supresses, SL and point man take out remaining 3 infantry.

I'll post a video later from BR
            Wow, that's amazing. Looking forward for that video!

Comment

I think a lot of regulars already use these tactics but I, for one, didn't know the name of it until now. Good post.

Comment

Snake, you and I talked on TS the other night, but I had no idea you were this deep, man. You hit the nail right on the head. Bugs me so bad when one of my squad mates spots someone and right away starts shooting. A lot of times I already know the bad guys are there, I'm just waiting for the right moment, like when they turn their back, or move a bit away from their rally so I can knife it.
                Couple nights ago on Ghost Train was perfect example. I was SL, China, and defending South Bridge from on top the mountian. Look down to the north west and saw a squad had just swam over and dropped a rally, but most of them were either still getting rounded up and were under tree cover or still in the water. Had a great squad that was sticking with me, and I call them over. But one of my guys as soon as he gets there, without even blinking, starts shooting. We only killed 2-3 of the enemy squad, and I got head shot almost instantly. Man I was pissed. If we had all lined up, waited for our shots to steady, and them to move out into the open field there in the next 15 sec., we would have wasted them all and not lost our own tickets.

THINK BEFORE YOU FIRE GENTLEMEN!!!! IT IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT TIME........

And Snake, have you played any ARMA yet? From your post above, it would be the right game for you on the TG server with some of us. Let me know and I can show you were to get the game super cheap.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  And Snake, have you played any ARMA yet? From your post above, it would be the right game for you on the TG server with some of us. Let me know and I can show you were to get the game super cheap.
                  No, I have not played any ARMA yet. I've heard about this game and tried the demo before but just never got used to the controls. How is it?

Comment

Will PM you

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Psht, I want cheap ArmA too! :P

Comment

I wasn't all that blown away by the demo, personally. Ridiculously overcomplicated control scheme, very unintuitive. Maybe it's a different deal online, but the SP demo left me very unimpressed.

Comment

ArmA was a good game with not near enough polish. At least, the demo was. I liked the control scheme (free look is neat!), but using the old OFP engine was a bad move. Come to think of it, both ArmA 2 and OFP 2 are slated to come out over the next year. It'll be interesting to see how those two compete.

Comment

I knew I shouldn't have posted about ARMA here. If you spend 60 sec. looking for info about the game and demo, you would see that everyone says the same thing.

DON'T TRY THE DEMO

It is a horrible piece of crap that should be called ARMA alpha version. The game has been patched a lot since then, and is way better. I tried the demo when it first came out like 2 years ago, and hated it. Just for the hell of it I got the game this past Feb., and especially since the 1.14 patch, have loved it.

But if you want more info, that is what the ARMA forum is for.
                            Or this thread:
                            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...d-assault.html

Get it super cheap:
                            http://video-games.search.ebay.com/a...QQsacatZ139973

1 auction just ended for $3.99, new sealed in box.

Now back to the topic of the post.
                            All ARMA subject to the ARMA forums please.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That is cheap, is arma 2 out later this year

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X