Squad Consolidation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Consolidation

I just got a few friends to pick up BF2 just because I keep going on and on about Project Reality on our ventrilo server. One of them from 2142, an other from 1942/DesertCombat, and an other already from BF2 but lost his disk / key / login a year ago because he got bored, and one other who's never played any at all. None of them actually have it yet, two of them ordered online, the other is getting it locally from a shop in the next few days. I've nearly peed myself in anticipation of being able to get my RL friends together in the same squad.

But then tonight a horrible thought crossed my mind; with team balance enforced, as far as I can tell you don't have much control over which side you start on. Now I really don't care which side I fight for, they're both fun to me, and ideally I usually pick whichever side needs people. But in this case, now that I've got a few RL friends getting the game at my request, explicitly so that we can play "together," what's the best way to go about making sure we all get into the same squad? (Two of those friends would have absolutely zero interest in the game if we couldn't play together, and I neglected to mention (because I forgot) auto-team-balance. And while this IS awesome, I know the novelty will wear off eventually if I can't keep my RL friends playing, and able to play WITH them.)

Re: Squad Consolidation

The server has smart balance on, so if the teams are even you can still switch sides. It's not hard at all to get in the same side with people leaving and joining all the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I am a firm believer in being able to play with your friends..
      When you log in, simply pick the side that is loosing, or if its a MEC vs USMC map, just pick the MEC side.. (as pubbies seem to like the USMC assets). This will make it easier for you all to get on the same side..

Create a squad, lock it and invite your buddies..
      after they arrive, unlock the squad and fill the remaining spots with pubbies..

Hope your freinds enjoy PR!!

Comment

Sounds just like an IHS. Which almost always swap teams to play with eachother. Hey, the game is only as fun as the people you play it with. Its easy to get 3 or 4 guys on a team to play together.
        |TG|
        ||||

Comment

Easy formula:
          All four of you magically join the most populated server in PR at the same time. (Right... lets say thats possible...)

Two of you go to team one, two to team two.
          Its only a matter of time (given enough effort) before it can be possible that all four of you are on team X.
          Once that is achieved, almost nothing (as in Punkbuster, Random DC, Computer issues, Internet issues, kick, ban, kick for supporting member, accidental kick, real life, dinner time, lunch time, sleep time) can seperate the four of you from that team.

§Sirsolo
          |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Okay that's good to know. I didn't know you could change sides with autobalance on. I guess I had tried but it wouldn't let me, maybe you can't do it when you're dead or something. But you still only get one teamswitch allowed per round right?

Comment

Well.. its kinda heavyily frowned upon.. as far as I know.. Ive never been one to teamswitch like crazy, but its worth looking up in the rules.

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

I don't think getting all your friends on a single team will be the problem. It will be getting onto the server. Its almost always full. Getting in regularily usually takes atleast a couple minutes of refreshing.

Well good luck anyway.
                |TG|
                ||||

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                  Well.. its kinda heavyily frowned upon.. as far as I know.. Ive never been one to teamswitch like crazy, but its worth looking up in the rules.

§Sirsolo
                  Unless you are switching to the wining team or switching because you like the assets of the other team better... I know of no rules against it.

Link to the rules and SOP's in my sig....
                  Check them out.

Comment

Most servers have smart autobalance.

What this means is it gives a bit of leeway before autobalance kicks in. I think TG is at 2 or 3 before it kicks in.

So if the teams are USMC 32 and MEC 30, then you wont be able to join USMC until it evens out.

Remember also that you can only choose to swap teams ONCE... if it didnt work, you have to spawn in again and try again.

Smart Autobalance is a HUGE factor for me when deciding what server to play on... if it doesnt have smart autobalance, I stay away from that server cause its anti-teamwork and VERy difficult to form squads with friends, something that PR encourages (and TG too Im sure)

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                      Unless you are switching to the wining team or switching because you like the assets of the other team better... I know of no rules against it.

Link to the rules and SOP's in my sig....
                      Check them out.
                      Ehh, I know where to find the SOPs.. thing is, I still have about 31 days before I even see my own computer. I doubt Ill be breaking any in game rules till then =/

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

I dont mind people switching for organised squads so long as they are equally eager to join/balance an obviously weaker side. Especially on an often one sided map like sunset or jabal, etc

Gameplay suffers if the organised squads refuse to fight against each other

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

EJOD is kind of a one sided map too..MEC win 75% if not more of the time.Dont know why...

Yeah. It usually ends up that all the good people are on one side and all the medium people on the other. Then ALL maps are kinda one sided. Thats when we bring in the rhinoriders and people who have seen Chuck Norris...

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse