Jungle Fighting: A Short Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jungle Fighting: A Short Guide

This guide is intended for the map Operation Ghost Train. However, this guide can be applied to heavily wooded maps such as Road to Kyongani, certain parts of Qwai, Bi Ming, Assault on Mestia, and Fool’s Road. This guide is intended to improve the type of fighting in the jungle and prevent frustrating deaths.

Weapons
    Using the right weapons can be the difference between life and death in the jungle. The deadliest weapon in the jungle is the grenade for two reasons. It covers a wide area and you don’t have to perfectly spot your target to kill him. Thus, the grenadier is the deadliest kit and a squad should always have one. The automatic rifleman is the worst kit possible. Surpression is a worthless tactic in the jungle and the LMG makes you stick out like like a sore thumb making you a prime target. Thus, it is important to fire in very short burst or semi-automicly. Remember to go for headshots. The marksmen is also a useful kit in the jungle.

Engaging
    When engaging it is important to spot out a hostile squad before it spots you (as in all combat situations). Fire discipline is also very important. When assaulting a flag, it is better not to engage hostiles in the jungle. Rather, go for the RP/Firebase and try to engage hostiles only when you are within 100 meters of the flag. While defending, it is better to engage hostiles away from the flag (but remember not to go too far).

The most important rule of jungle combat is to keep moving. Staying in one place for too long is guaranteed death. It is also important to use visual cover. Visual cover is tall grass, bamboo, and bushes. All of this stuff is penetrable and wont stop bullets. Solid cover will. However, solid cover is not recommended to the lack of it. It also sticks out more than the visual cover. Avoid the pits! They are deathtraps, you should only be in them for a few seconds. DO NOT HAVE A HEALING PARTY IN THE PITS! I have seen this happen too often, it guarantees certain death. Your stance is important too. Prone is not ideal due to the fact that the tall grass gets in your vision and takes longer to move positions (which is annoying when you are taking fire). Standing is also bad because you stick out more. Personally, I like to crouch in a bush next to some bamboo. But remember, keep moving. It is important to move up as you engage and to flank. Flanking is super helpful to take out hostiles (who generally continuesly run in one direction). Flanking also helps in taking out RPs.

High Ground
    High ground can be useful and deadly at the same time. There is a fameous mountain directly west of the South Bridge Flag. DO NOT GO UP THERE TO ENGAGE TARGETS! You will either be met by fire from the opposite side of the river or grenades coming up from the slopes. The reason is that there is no visual cover on the top of that mountain. It makes you silhouette and stick out like a sore thumb. The hill to the South East of the South Bridge Flag is extremely useful. It has visual cover and provides excellent overwatch to the West, South, and East. The high ground also makes it a lot easier to spot targets. In fact, I once ambushed and took out for hostiles in quick succession while on that hill. The cliffs on the river banks are also useful and provide a good defense for the bridge flags.

So here are some key points to remember.
    1. Be sneaky!
    2. Use visual cover to your advantage!
    3. Try not to stick out!
    4. Don’t use solid cover!

Google

Re: Jungle Fighting: A Short Guide

Excellent google. I really must become a SM, so I can add that to ur rep.:D

Comment

Good stuff but I disagree about the auto rifleman. It can still keep the enemy heads down and give your squad time to get out of a bad situation. As long as you aren't firing continuously and just use short bursts on each target then they won't have time to pop their heads up.

Comment

No Australian Peel?

Comment

Good thread, I pretty much agree with everything you said. Maybe not the AR kit, simply because in the past I used one on OGT (Super Jungle) to clean out entire squads. If you get rid of the squad before they can see you, you don't have to worry being discovered. When your supressed you usually can't directly spot an enemy target. Although the trees in the jungle create a different enviroment which can make or break the AR kit in a jungle. The AR spray can hit all the tres near a squad, supressing them, for your squad to easily pick them off. Or if the shot is taken from a long range, the thick brush could stop all shots from making it to the target. So, thats just my opinion on the LMG in a jungle situation.
          |TG|
          ||||

Comment

A very simple thing to do with when approaching or passing through heavy cover is to extend your limited field of vision.

BF2 is unrealistic in the line of sight it offers each indivual, in game you have something like 80 degrees of vision then nothing when in fact your real vision would allow you at least 110 degrees or more
            Humans have an almost 180-degree forward-facing field of view
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_vision

Anyway the very simple solution is to exaggerate your swaying movements left and right so as you run, you constantly scan the horizon, extending your field of vision.
            This should help stop being shot out of nowhere, when in fact you walked right past the enemy who is probably moving more slowly and looking round more.

If you dont get that, try moving in a zig zag pattern, not just straight forward and obviously not moving solo is best but if you do this should help alot

Good stuff but I disagree about the auto rifleman.
            Yea I disagree also. m203 is always good but on OGT at least its hard to land the shot exactly and it works best when someone runs alongside a wall, etc

no visual cover on the top of that mountain. It makes you silhouette
            Agree but the mountain itself can give hard cover just dont stand on top. Use the crest and curvature of the land
            Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Something you should add.
              Use the grass to your advantage. I've almost walked on top of people lying in the grass even when moving slowly and vise versa. It's really amazing how well the grass can conceal you although it does work better for the brits since their camo matches much better.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by google View Post
                .... The marksmen is also a useful kit in the jungle. NO NO NO NO NO NO

....Visual cover is tall grass, Not in BF2....

So here are some key points to remember.
                1. Be sneaky!
                2. Use visual cover to your advantage!
                3. Try not to stick out!
                4. Don’t use solid cover!

Google
                My edits are in bold..

If you take a marksman, or if you are thick enough to take a sniper kit into a jungle, you dont deserve to come out...
                Other then that, its pretty good.

§Sirsolo
                |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

I cant help but disagree with both those edits. First off, there is nothing wrong with the marksman, it is simply a more acurate version of the standard rifle. A sniper, I agree, is a terrible kit.

Also, whats wrong with tall grass? There is a lot in OGT and it doesnt dissapear due to the fact that fighting is just a short step away from CQC.

Comment

Great guide, i have tried this out with some friends of mine, it works out, and sneaking around is very easy.

Comment

I cant help but disagree with both those edits. First off, there is nothing wrong with the marksman, it is simply a more acurate version of the standard rifle.A sniper, I agree, is a terrible kit.

Also, whats wrong with tall grass? There is a lot in OGT and it doesnt dissapear due to the fact that fighting is just a short step away from CQC.

If its a short step away from CQC, then you have no need for accuracy, a Heavy would do you better. And yeah, I just remember what kind of grass there is on OGT... but other then that map, grass is a no no.

A Sniper rifle is the most advanced hand held gun today as far as Im concerned.

The "Shoot around corners" gun? Take a piece of metal, make it foldable at the front, stick a camera and a 9mm on it, hook the 9mms trigger with a piece of wire. Grats. Thats not advanced.

Take a sniper rifle. Get a target like.. 2 miles away. Make a piece of metal fly that far, and hit with pinpoint accuracy, and killing power. Then take your rifle and walk away.

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                        If its a short step away from CQC, then you have no need for accuracy, a Heavy would do you better. And yeah, I just remember what kind of grass there is on OGT... but other then that map, grass is a no no.

A Sniper rifle is the most advanced hand held gun today as far as Im concerned.

The "Shoot around corners" gun? Take a piece of metal, make it foldable at the front, stick a camera and a 9mm on it, hook the 9mms trigger with a piece of wire. Grats. Thats not advanced.

Take a sniper rifle. Get a target like.. 2 miles away. Make a piece of metal fly that far, and hit with pinpoint accuracy, and killing power. Then take your rifle and walk away.

§Sirsolo
                        First off, it should be than instead of then in your first paragraph. The reason a marksman is useful is that it's a more accurate version of a normal rifle good for taking quick, precison headshots when hostiles have not yet spotted you.

Also, if you had bothered to read the top of the guide, it said it was meant for operation ghost train.

Lastly, what do the sniper and shoot around corners gun have to do with anything?

Comment

First off, it should be than instead of then in your first paragraph. The reason a marksman is useful is that it's a more accurate version of a normal rifle good for taking quick, precison headshots when hostiles have not yet spotted you.

Also, if you had bothered to read the top of the guide, it said it was meant for operation ghost train.

Lastly, what do the sniper and shoot around corners gun have to do with anything?
                          First off, you have two spaces in your last sentance between the words "do" and "the".

Secondly, give me a spot on OGT that is OVER 300m, which normal rifles are accurate to, that would need a marksman. Now find points that arnt, and where semi-auto and auto fire modes would be far more useful.

Lastly, you think the sniper is a terrible kit. I disagree. And thus the technology. I didnt sleep much today, and it made sense at the time.

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                            First off, you have two spaces in your last sentance between the words "do" and "the".

Secondly, give me a spot on OGT that is OVER 300m, which normal rifles are accurate to, that would need a marksman. Now find points that arnt, and where semi-auto and auto fire modes would be far more useful.

Lastly, you think the sniper is a terrible kit. I disagree. And thus the technology. I didnt sleep much today, and it made sense at the time.

§Sirsolo
                            sentance? Ok, lets stop the spelling/grammar nazi stuff (sorry for starting that).

Anyways, there are many spots on OGT. Every inch of the river bank, many of the small hills overlooking areas (especially the ones north of the North Bridge flag). And yes, I do think the sniper is a terrible kit, I don't see how it is useful in anyway to be honest.

Comment

sentance? Ok, lets stop the spelling/grammar nazi stuff (sorry for starting that).

Anyways, there are many spots on OGT. Every inch of the river bank, many of the small hills overlooking areas (especially the ones north of the North Bridge flag). And yes, I do think the sniper is a terrible kit, I don't see how it is useful in anyway to be honest.
                              =)

That river cuts accross the entire map. So unless you find the one place where everyone always crosses, its futile for most of the game.

Sniper is a useless kit? Never had me as your sniper. I can kill half a squad, and have the other half hiding in fear ready to be shot by friendly infantry. From the very edge of the fog.

§Sirsolo

Carpe Diem

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse