Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strongly disagree with SL requiring VOIP to become SL (explanation)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongly disagree with SL requiring VOIP to become SL (explanation)

Dear TG community,

I wish to express my humble opinion and offer my vast experiences playing through FPS Multiplayers, and after comming accorss to one of TG rule stating that... Every Squad leader must have VOIP, in order, to become a squad leader. I storngly disagree with this for one reason...

As a experienced FPS multi-player, I have led squad before, especially working with spam8880 and another members in the past and have a very success communicating with someone in higher charge.

What I have done is, developed a very simple, quick message where it would be sent to commander, telling him or her what I am doing with my squad.

For example, I'll use PR as an example.

Given situtation, I am at main base with my squad, I would type in team chat (not squad):

Comannder, ASSAULT TEAM = squad 2, will assault south bunker!

and at once when we would arrive to near south bunker, I would also yel out the status to commander:

COMMANDER: S2 NEAR SOUTH BUNKER! ASSAULTING!

And heck, if we would work together on developing a quick code name/number to communicate with commander via typing for efficient communication with VOIP, it would be great to someone who is not able to use VOIP for reasons, like me as an example. (I have once stated that I am a deaf player, which is why I am not ever able to use VOIP.)

And to give you even more example, when Spam8880 and I developed most basic way of communicate that would, not only allow us to communicate quickly, but would fuly benefit to our 82nd clan to use these, in case, if our VOIP goes down.

What we do when we work together is. Say, we're processing to south bunker, I would say, 185 H, which is 185 in bearing, high (higher level than we are) whom is hostile.

We also use code name, such as T, A, AA, V for tank, Apc, AA, other vehicle. When I communicate with commander, I would use short, simple message to let commander know what we are doing. And thank to BF system, where the commmander text would appear in yellow only, I would be able to tell if commander is reponsing or not.

Now you see an example of code name/number that my clan use. However, to develop code name/number, we would use S1 to 6 as a number of squad with purpose we are doing/

Im just showing the example of how text can be used to communicate in quick, efficient way for someone who doesn't use VOIP. I hope that TG community would re-consider about chaning the rule of forcing every SL having to use VOIP, this alway frustates me to no end, knowing that I may not be able to be at least, be SL for my 82nd clan or for my friends to play with me through this TG server.

Eagle out...

Re: Strongly disagree with SL requiring VOIP to become SL (explanation)

Compare the time it takes you to type out : COMMANDER: S2 NEAR SOUTH BUNKER! ASSAULTING!

and compare that to the time it takes you to say it.

now mix in the dynamics of the game, constant changes and constant updates. So by the time you are done typing something about said bunker, its either over or your team has it. Which if you type that all out request reinforcements then when all done you realize you no longer need them but they are deployed.....waste of stuffs.

I don't think we are saying it cant be done, but if you join a squad and everyone has the mic but your SL, the SL is at a clear disadvantage and so is the squad. To keep the game moving and competitive its a gotta be this way. I know many times when did play i would just leave the squad if the SL dint have a mic, he cant effectively lead if he cant effectively tell me what to do.

edited because im a complete jack-ass.
    Last edited by Trooper; 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Considering you can get a mic for like $5, I completly disagree. With a game like PR there is no excuse not to have VOIP. Even if you don't speak English that well, the ability to say a few key words makes all the difference.

The difference in a squad that uses comms and one that doesn't is what makes the difference. What you suggest is like the difference between going from morse code to satellite communications.

And when you are getting flanked and need to tell your squad in like 2 sec., you having to type the info in means you are dead, while a person with a mic says it, the squad readjusts, and can defend themselves.

All that being said, it is a very rarely inforced rule. But if you want good players to stick in your squad, you better lead with a mic. I join a squad where the SL isn't talking, I leave. Not worth my limited game time.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Almost everybody that has been playing PR for a while will completely ignore the chat. The only purpose for chat really is squad to squad communications if there isn't a commander but even that is extremely rare to be noticed. Anyone that uses chat will usually be using it for off-topic conversations.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Sometimes the chat message has been cleared by other messages, due to the heat of the moment during battle, the sq/CO didn't read you.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
            Compare the time it takes you to type out : COMMANDER: S2 NEAR SOUTH BUNKER! ASSAULTING!

and compare that to the time it takes you to say it.

now mix in the dynamics of the game, constant changes and constant updates. So by the time you are done typing something about said bunker, its either over or your team has it. Which if you type that all out request reinforcements then when all done you realize you no longer need them but they are deployed.....waste of stuffs.

I don't think we are saying it cant be done, but if you join a squad and everyone has the mic but your SL, the SL is at a clear disadvantage and so is the squad. To keep the game moving and competitive its a gotta be this way. I know many times when did play i would just leave the squad if the SL dint have a mic, he cant effectively lead if he cant effectively tell me what to do.

Its like joining a star gazers for the blind club.......sorry if i offended anyone with that statement....i couldn't think of anything else to us
            First at all, I am deaf player, as I have already stated above... When I said Im deaf, I mean Im fully deaf without the ability to hear sounds. you may have not not experienced what I have done. And yes it look like I may have been at disadvantage, but doesnt make it impossible! And 2nd, yes I am already aware of constanlty changing status through battlefield through my experiences. I have done it and experienced it before that its entirely possible.

And to answer your question, you said the time it take to complete the message, that is why I said, I would alway keep message quick and it even take me few seconds to type these message out to my squad and to keep my commander up to date.

Finally, it is all about player and teamwork, not just typing or mic communicating. For example, according to one of my experiences:

When I talk with my squad whom I knew with tyiping, my squad would discuss of it quickly through mic and sent me a very simple/short message before we process on to our mission from main base. The squad who I would know, would had alot of pracitce with me before we do real gaming in TG server, therefore having a full effiicient of teamwork and communicate with me. The only time I would be SL is when I have squad with me, who know how to communicate and work with me so well.

That is why I am willing to state one thing about the rule of SL requiring to have VOIP only to be changed, requiring either VOIP of texting but willing to cooperate with commander and squad members instead.

And finally, Im quoting your statement:

"Its like joining a star gazers for the blind club.......sorry if i offended anyone with that statement....i couldn't think of anything else to us"

I find this quite offensive, it is a ignoration thing to say, no offense to you. Like I have said, you definely had no experiences playing with someone who have no ability to use VOIP at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
              Almost everybody that has been playing PR for a while will completely ignore the chat. The only purpose for chat really is squad to squad communications if there isn't a commander but even that is extremely rare to be noticed. Anyone that uses chat will usually be using it for off-topic conversations.
              Originally posted by onit View Post
              Sometimes the chat message has been cleared by other messages, due to the heat of the moment during battle, the sq/CO didn't read you.

these exactly. If i have to watch my chat for my SL to give me orders and only 5 or 6 messages show at one time....they fly by.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by onit View Post
                Yes that is true and I am already aware of this, but it doesnt' prevent me having the ability and the determination to keep trying communicate with the commander and my squad! Often I had a successful experiences of doing this, and please read my 2nd reposes above.

thanks!

Eagle out...

Comment

and now i feel like an ass. I missed that complete statement and wouldn't have put it had i read that part. my complete apologies.

If i remember correctly dint you have the same issue in Armed A?

And no where is it saying we doubt your leading skills and abilities. To be able to effectively communicate with your team/Squad is the problem the rules is addressing.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

these exactly. If i have to watch my chat for my SL to give me orders and only 5 or 6 messages show at one time....they fly by.
                    Like I said, I only work with squad who I have trained with intesively, not someon who I dont know well, according to my post above. If you were in my squad and learn how to communicate with me, you would have understood how we do our communication with few of my 82nd people.

Eagle out...

Comment

and now i feel like an ass. I missed that complete statement and wouldn't have put it had i read that part. my complete apologies.

If i remember correctly dint you have the same issue in Armed A?

And no where is it saying we doubt your leading skills and abilities. To be able to effectively communicate with your team/Squad is the problem the rules is addressing.
                      No problem, becasue when I do the misison with people who i trained witih very well, had a very successful result with me when it come to, quick communication and teaming as a team.

Eagle out...

Comment

I wasnt aware this was a rule

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I have practiced with Eagle114th here before, and it has been quite successful if you communicate the right way. I was able to type to him quickly and efficiently in symbols or numbers, and they did not get in the way of my playing the game. Every time I've played with him, I've also told him what the squad leader is saying, so that the SL doesn't have to worry about typing when he is leading a squad.

Comment

Its great and all, works fine.

But then they invented VOIP.

§Sirsolo
                            |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

im going to point this out again for people who have missed this like i did. Eagle is completely deaf. He can not use VOIP......so he is trying to create a alt system so he can do what he loves to do.......

Im still eating my boot so dont mind me.....
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...