Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who feels it was rushed sorta?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who feels it was rushed sorta?

Let me explain before you start turning on the stove burners about the whole "Dev's put a lot of work into it for being volunteers!"

I was expecting it to come out in about another month. I really was. Suddenly they release it. All day I've been playing. I have so many problems with the game, I really feel like it needs another month of polish. I was able to play .756 on medium settings and get decent FPS until heavy firefights broke out and I was in the middle of it, where it only dropped slightly.

Now I'm stuck on all low graphics, save for lowering resolution from 1024x756 to 800x600 cause for some reason, it won't support it. I can barely play any of the new maps cause they're so big and there are so many statics in it, it's almost bad to run.

The stamina is a major bad thing I have a big gripe about, it feels like I'm in vanilla again, cept now I'm slower. Some of the animations kinda bug me and everything feels so..slow. It kinda feels like I have to work at the game instead of playing it.

I understand that the game is harder and you're supposed to take your time instead of ramboing, but have they crossed the line where there is just too much reality?

But yea, please discuss.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Re: Am I the only one who feels it was rushed sorta?

no, the mod is "Project Reality". They have made it realistic, but still fun as a game. Its not "stupid" realistic. As for the new maps, the've pumped up the graphics and its supposed to be like that. I have no real concerns.
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

I do not have it yet (stupid fileplanet) but to me I can already tell this was not rushed. The graphics were made juicier for this version to give nVidia 8 Series cards a challenge for once ;). Anyway I cant wait to play this I can tell this will be much better than anything else I have ever played.

Comment

remember the uproar when they took away the minimap and q spotting?
        now what?
        there'd be an uproar if they put it back in.

give it a week, and if you feel the same way, post again.

Comment

As a tester, I can say that I do not feel like the development of .8 was rushed in any way. Of course they have to make small compromises to accomodate their timeframe, but these aren't noticeable nor will they affect gameplay too much.

As for the slow animations and lowered stamina, it's for more realistic purposes.

| |

Comment

Doesn't feel rushed at all to me, no. In fact, feels like the most polished release yet... aside from the 800x600 issue (which is a resolution for cavemen on their computers chiselled from the stone cave wall) it seems bugless so far.

Not agreeing with the gameplay changes is something else, but give it some time... the learning curve between the releases is clearly pretty high. Not only do you need to learn new mechanics, but you need to significantly alter your playstyle: all the last vestiges of run-and-gun BF2 gameplay have been swept away.

Comment

Hehe yea I remember when the .7 was released with no more quick spot and map, the first three days of play on the TG server and about the first week on any other server was completely filled with teamkilling, not on purpose but just because everyone was kind of used to being able to see on some computer work put in their paper map where the enemy was and where they were moving to.

Im still downloading the core right now, already got the levels but run on a 1024xw\e-it-is, so I gotta change it down to 8x6?
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

No, it won't run at 800 x 600. It's a bug. I finally had to modify a bunch of stuff and basically have every scrap of memory my computer has to offer to pour towards PR. It's still laggy, but it's kinda better.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Comment

Do you know how many months have gone into the work behind .8? If you knew, you would not assume it was rushed.

Rhino has been working on Muttrah v2 for well over a year.

Korengal valley has been in constant day-to-day development since January.

Deviation took WEEKS of all nighters on behalf of RCON Wolfe and RDEV MJPatterson.

There were 9 test builds, each with it's own changelog. From said changelog, myself or another leading tester would create a multi-page "Test list." This test list would be meticulously updated until the next build. Hundreds, hundreds, HUNDREDS of items could be in each test build.

The new statics were made from scratch by all the devs.

The new models were designed, modeled, UV mapped, textured, etc... the new MEC sniper, the UGL's.

A single animator is responsible for the new animations. Each one was done from scratch. Each one had to be meticulously tested for errors.

We had at least 4 or 5 publicity sessions, which could easily take upwards of 2 hours filming or capturing screen shots.

Any change made to the next build was updated immediately in the "repo." this is basically a changelog to the extreme - thousands of lines.

Every change to text or user interface had to be proofread and corrected by testers.

Any server crash would need to be recreated to the best of our abilities.

All new effects were months in the making.

Sounds had to be tested with ridiculous standards. Each tester would have to test sounds based on their settings/distance.

Every single error found with any object in a map was recorded and reported to the map maker. For example, there were hundreds of floating buildings/objects in .8 on various maps. Usually a screenshot would be needed, with grid coordinates. The mapper would then have to fix it in BF2 editor.

All python changes had to be recreated.

All kits had to be examined 1p and 3p. Any bugs with kits had to be tested by a round table.

dbzao likes boys.

CO assets had to be tested and examined. The nightmares that RDEV chuc had with the deployable 50 cals are unspeakable - I thought they were going to be scrapped because he was just so frustrated with them.

Each test build had to be made into an exe or packed into a file, then uploaded and hosted.

There were roughly 2 test sessions a week for the past 5 months. Test sessions lasted for about an hour, but easily extended. That's already 40 hours of testing, at a bare minimum. I can assure you that number skyrocketed well past 200+

New soundtracks were composed and made by various sound designers.

As for any complaints about gameplay:

Thousands of man hours went into a FREE mod and people still complain. The devs delivered MORE than any of you had any idea would even be in .8!
                  Last edited by Skud; 08-30-2008, 01:19 AM.
                  Skud

Comment

Yea...what he said!:p
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Sounds like you guys handled the stress testing quite professionally.

Now, just to play the devils advocate, the amount of work put into it has little bearing on whether or not it was "rushed". That judgement is based entirely on whether or not the final, released build is solid and bug free (ie, it wasn't released before it was ready).

And now, since I'm finished playing the devil's advocate for the moment, that clearly isn't the case.

Comment

No your conclusions are rushed, as always they have moved the game further from bf2 towards something new. genius tbh and I dont like everything unilaterally but I do think its how they wanted it

The game overall is very different, has to be good thing even if a couple (small) things bug me

The animations make me dizzy, well done. Not seen most maps yet but a drive through archer was like a warzone ghosttrain even though i didnt die

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

post specs plz

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                            Do you know how many months have gone into the work behind .8? If you knew, you would not assume it was rushed.

Rhino has been working on Muttrah v2 for well over a year.

Korengal valley has been in constant day-to-day development since January.

Deviation took WEEKS of all nighters on behalf of RCON Wolfe and RDEV MJPatterson.

There were 9 test builds, each with it's own changelog. From said changelog, myself or another leading tester would create a multi-page "Test list." This test list would be meticulously updated until the next build. Hundreds, hundreds, HUNDREDS of items could be in each test build.

The new statics were made from scratch by all the devs.

The new models were designed, modeled, UV mapped, textured, etc... the new MEC sniper, the UGL's.

A single animator is responsible for the new animations. Each one was done from scratch. Each one had to be meticulously tested for errors.

We had at least 4 or 5 publicity sessions, which could easily take upwards of 2 hours filming or capturing screen shots.

Any change made to the next build was updated immediately in the "repo." this is basically a changelog to the extreme - thousands of lines.

Every change to text or user interface had to be proofread and corrected by testers.

Any server crash would need to be recreated to the best of our abilities.

All new effects were months in the making.

Sounds had to be tested with ridiculous standards. Each tester would have to test sounds based on their settings/distance.

Every single error found with any object in a map was recorded and reported to the map maker. For example, there were hundreds of floating buildings/objects in .8 on various maps. Usually a screenshot would be needed, with grid coordinates. The mapper would then have to fix it in BF2 editor.

All python changes had to be recreated.

All kits had to be examined 1p and 3p. Any bugs with kits had to be tested by a round table.

dbzao likes boys.

CO assets had to be tested and examined. The nightmares that RDEV chuc had with the deployable 50 cals are unspeakable - I thought they were going to be scrapped because he was just so frustrated with them.

Each test build had to be made into an exe or packed into a file, then uploaded and hosted.

There were roughly 2 test sessions a week for the past 5 months. Test sessions lasted for about an hour, but easily extended. That's already 40 hours of testing, at a bare minimum. I can assure you that number skyrocketed well past 200+

New soundtracks were composed and made by various sound designers.

As for any complaints about gameplay:

Thousands of man hours went into a FREE mod and people still complain. The devs delivered MORE than any of you had any idea would even be in .8!
                            Psh, I could make this whole game in 4 hours blindfolded, and smothered in beer. As a matter of fact, I did. I made this latest update and let them all take the credit. Poor skud, you've been fooled! It was me!

Comment

lmao when looking at skud's post the first thing I saw was "dbzao likes boys"
                              |TG|
                              ||||

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...