Sniping in .8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniping in .8

I've always enjoyed playing a sniper. Especially when the team has a reasonably talented commander who i can act as a forward observer for. I might even expend a clip and get a handfull of kills in the process. Then comes .8. At first i was excited about the changes to the kit- the breathing emulation, the scope movement when bolting the next round, and the increased need for a spotter given the changes in the game generally.

Trouble is, i cant get kills anymore. the breathing emulation is NOT an accurate gauge for precision shooting. Wait 3-4 seconds to steady your shot, fire, and you will notice your round hit somewhere other than the intended target. I did some testing and it seems you have to wait something like 6 seconds without moving the scope in order to get a precise shot off. What kind of target stays stationary for that long, honestly?

What are everyone else's experiences with sniping in .8?
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Re: Sniping in .8

I'm pretty certain I read on the PR forums that 6 seconds is the official number of seconds you have to wait to have a fully steady round fired.
    TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Well, the solution is simple. Act as a Forward Observer rather than shooting several rounds to kill a moving target and give your posistion away. You should be getting one shot kills as a sniper. That means you should only be firing at stationary targets. Get what kills you can. Take out that annoying marksman on a rooftop, or the guys manning AA. But, don't even try taking out moving targets. Your main job is to report enemy movements and the disrupt them. Not rack up kills.
      |TG|
      ||||

Comment

yea, ive played in mustrah 2 ,i was on top of the bigst building in the map, i killed like 15 and didnt die. we have to w8 like 6 seconds, i know that in real life we dont have to w8 that much, but imagine a 1,5 km shot , is not that easy , eaven a real sniper would take 6 seconds. snip in .8 is scout, and support, support beacouse you must take down enemys in .50 cal in bunkers , mobiles, etc.
        i will never say bad thinks about snip beacouse i love it hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Paine View Post
          I've always enjoyed playing a sniper.
          its overrated/needs to be used with patience and with a spotter..........IMHO it is only really useful on a few maps, plus an Acog works sometimes/almost just as well. If I hold my breath in RL as I take a shot with it, will it work just as well?
          Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

It's unrealistic for a sniper not to be able to hit a moving target. End of story. The Devs have unwittingly made the sniper a useless kit by taking away it's ability to suppress groups of infantry. Currently, a good solution for avoiding sniper fire in PR is to run/walk parallel to said sniper because there is no way he will hit you. IMO, this is completely ridiculous because anyone in open, moving or not, should be fair game for a one shot kill. Yes, the sniper kit is for observation more than kills, but that doesn't mean the Devs have to nerf it's lethality. What the Devs should do is make the kit for the highly skilled shots. In other words, a person would have to practice for hours to learn to hit a moving target, but once they get beyond the learning curve it would be easy to do. Also, I would like to remind everyone here that a sniper isn't a forward observer or a killing machine, he is both. Therefore, neither of these abilities should be diluted.

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
            its overrated..........and is only really useful on a few maps, plus an acog works sometimes/almost just as well.
            No way. The accuracy of scoped assault rifles has been reduced in v0.8. If you play in a squad for five minutes you will realize how inadequate the ACOG is compared to a sniper rifle. I would fain to even compare the ACOG to DMR weapons.
            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
            #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
            83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

The only good kit is the uk one because thats a one hit kill, 6 seconds sounds funny bad. To be fair they probably have trouble making it a skill shot, so you have to just anticipate and be lucky. Useless 90% of the time especially when most wont bother to spot with it

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I have no problem with the kit.

I can hit moving targets.
                Skud

Comment

The timing and the level of prediction you need to do to manage it is pretty steep, but it's perfectly possible to hit moving targets.

Comment

They have improved it, but I still think it needs tweaking, especially the m40. But the m24 has been a gods send.

|
                    |

|TG-X|SuperCobra

Comment

Iv only used it once and im not too sure about it yet seems very inaccurate

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post

coming from a guy with several distinguished sniper ribbons. :)
                        |TG|
                        ||||

Comment

you are the man.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                          Level I HazMat Technician
                          NYS EMT-B
                          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Unless you're actually using the kit, in which case you get taken out by a G3 before you can take a steady shot and rage quit :D

Comment

G3 is like a sniper gun anyway, certainly was great last version. Acog is nuts now so not so much but anyway all the sniper guns officially work now?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X