Close-quarters: How to not get owned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close-quarters: How to not get owned

Put a couple more hours in.. I'm still getting wrecked in CQB situations. Iron-sights/scopes are sooo slow to bring up... and there's no crosshair... so uh.. yeah, any tips? move while spraying? hold still? kneel? go prone? jump around? (i kid)

Re: Close-quarters: How to not get owned

Whiskey, your best bet is to practice and learn to fire without sighting in. Bullets go to the middle of your screen. I prefer to strafe while keeping my target close to the middle. This is where deviation actually helps you if you can't keep them centered. Last night I took out a whole PLA squad on Qwai in CQB by doing this, with the last two via pistol, all without sighting in.

Practice, practice, practice, and always stay at the back of your squad :)

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Tell me about it, really dam irritating being owned by a guy with a pea shooter pistol while he stands 1 metre from my m16 rifle barrel.

Do not use burst fire on the m16 ever, do not use automatic on the Ak47 even when you know they will turn a corner right in front of you. I presume the same applies to the G3

I can use burst/auto on the chinese and british guns for cqb, they have always been the more accurate of the rifles

The pistol has no deviation on it where as the ak47 will fire bullets at 45 degree angles out of its gun barrel, you will need multiple single shots before one goes where you aim

Grenades will not clear a room or a corridor, it has to land at the feet of the enemy and its now possible for them to get up from prone and run away from the nade and still clear the blast radius.

The rkg3 nade the insurgents has is a shaped charge so makes sense to have limited radius, its one advantage is its immediate explosion so there is no running from it. Throw at their feet

The miltia medic gun apparently has no deviation. The crewman gun for mec and china may also be worth a try, the mec one sounds cool anyway.

Not sure of any great solution sorry, use m4 aimpoint not the acog unless you want long shots. It comes up faster and the acog is rubbish for quick shots anyway

Go prone might be your best bet because they will fire over your head. Assume your first shot will miss, make sure the second, third are dead on

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

A wipe clean marker pen to put a dot in the centre of your screen, perhaps? Old anti-tank trick from vanilla BF2. Of course, the best way to win CQB is to be prepared for it and catch your enemy from an angle they are not expecting.
        | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
        Charge for the guns' he said:
        Into the valley of Death
          Rode the six hundred.

Comment

So far, I have found that Iron sights own scopes CQB. Automatics like the chinese iron sights have been tearing me up lately, especially when they are laying prone. The 3 round bursts from my M-16 don't seem to be getting it done for me if I don't zoom in. My best success lately has been playing medic, spraying bullets as fast as I can, then healing myself up afterwards. The other tactic that has been working for me: fire several rounds until I think I have wounded the player, maneuver, count to 5 until his screen is hopefully full of blood and he can't see, then toss a grenade and rush him. .8 is very very different from .7 regarding CQB. I don't know if you have had the pleasure of playing a spec ops kit CQB yet, but you might try it for fun sometime...total beast mode.
          |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by NerdyDodge View Post
            A wipe clean marker pen to put a dot in the centre of your screen, perhaps?
            oh now don't go and start blabbing all the secrets of the trade young grasshopper...
            |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

If i have a pistol, i always take it out in CQB b/c of the lack of deviation, even when moving.

I never go prone in CQB. If he goes prone, then it is easy to strafe around him with a greater perspective on his hitbox; if he doesn't go prone and you do, then you would be vulnerable to his movement and become a bigger target.

tl;dr Movement, no-scope and keep the target at center of screen- semi auto, burst or auto fire depends on your weapon really.
              Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

A wipe clean marker pen to put a dot in the centre of your screen, perhaps? Old anti-tank trick from vanilla BF2. Of course, the best way to win CQB is to be prepared for it and catch your enemy from an angle they are not expecting.
                That was actually my first instinct, and I've put scotch-tape on my LCD screen before for that purpose... but figured there has to be another way.

Let me ask this: how many shots is it to kill/disable/maim/whatever in PR? In PoE2, it's generally 5 shots with a rifle to kill kits with body-armor (assault + support) and 4 shots to kill non-kevlar'd infantry (specops, medic, sniper).

What about pistols? those pack the same punch? how many pistol shots is it to put a baddy out of commission? (whether that's dead or bleeding badly or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  Put a couple more hours in.. I'm still getting wrecked in CQB situations. Iron-sights/scopes are sooo slow to bring up... and there's no crosshair... so uh.. yeah, any tips? move while spraying? hold still? kneel? go prone? jump around? (i kid)
                  To be honest, the best you can do in CQB here is know where the centre of your screen is and use an aimpoint/ironsight weapon. If you are expecting it, kneel down and keep your sights up, move like this only, it's fairly quick and accurate. Also don't stand still if you are really close, side strafe.

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                  do not use automatic on the Ak47 even when you know they will turn a corner right in front of you.
                  Huh? That's how I use the AK most effectively. I joined near the end of Korengal and got 8-2 by getting close then charging in and unloading a full mag into them not sighted in. The power and number of rounds you can get fairly accurate from 0-10m is usually enough to rip at least 3 tightly packed to pieces.

In CQB, Ironsights/Red dot are obviously preferred. If I'm in a small space, my best bet is to stay crouched with my sights in, you'll move fairly quickly, stay in overgrowth (map dependant) and also be able to stop and spray pretty fast.

the ak47 will fire bullets at 45 degree angles out of its gun barrel, you will need multiple single shots before one goes where you aim
                  Pretty much.. Anything over 25m is pretty much not worth AK on auto, you'll totally miss. Take your time and aim for a shot to the chest, either finish him off with another chest shot,or hide and wait for him to take out his patch then charge.

The rkg3 nade the insurgents has is a shaped charge so makes sense to have limited radius, its one advantage is its immediate explosion so there is no running from it. Throw at their feet
                  This bad-boy is my favorite new weapon. This can be devastating on tightly packed squads. A good trick is if you hear enemies approaching hold right-click so it's ready to fire, toss the grenade into their centre mass and charge, AK blazing :)
                  Before the effect one believes in different causes than one does after the effect.

Comment

Ironsights or Red-Dot are good at CQB if you can get them up in time. Crouching down while sighting in means you move faster than if you were standing up, and you get the accuracy bonuses from being crouched and scoped/ironsighted. Also, the enemy expect you to come in standing up, so you may get a few shots in before they aim at you (but this does mean they can get a headshot if they're lucky).

Personally, burst-fire on the M16/M4 works well in CQB, don't fire as quickly as possible; fire, sight, fire. First burst may hit, and gives you time to get your second burst dead-on.

Molotovs are a personal favourite for room clearing - you just throw it, and wait for them to come running out.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I wouoldnt do this, it defets the whole pointof not having a crosshair, and masks the realism, i would also consider it somewhat of an undetectable exploit as it gives you an advantage over other player in CQB.

Comment

The crosshair is a metaphor... it gives you the awareness/ability that you would otherwise have IRL. In reality, if I'm moving with my rifle shouldered, in an alert position and someone surprises me around a corner, A) I know where the gun is pointing and B) I can snap to the firing position (cock head and raise shoulder) almost instantly. In PR, I don't know A and can't do B :( = I fail at CQB

Comment

Well..I am screwed..if Whiskey is getting ravaged, then I might as well just paint a freaking bullseye on my forehead and run naked through the maps...:(

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            The crosshair is a metaphor... it gives you the awareness/ability that you would otherwise have IRL. In reality, if I'm moving with my rifle shouldered, in an alert position and someone surprises me around a corner, A) I know where the gun is pointing and B) I can snap to the firing position (cock head and raise shoulder) almost instantly. In PR, I don't know A and can't do B :( = I fail at CQB
                            Exactly. I haven't done the marker pen thing in PR, (partly due to my expensive new monitor) but to me it would represent that natural awareness of where your barrel is pointing.
                            | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
                            Charge for the guns' he said:
                            Into the valley of Death
                              Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Do not use burst fire on the m16 ever, do not use automatic on the Ak47 even when you know they will turn a corner right in front of you. I presume the same applies to the G3
                              I'd have to disagree with you there. In really close situations like going through alleys in Ramiel I leave my weapon on auto/burst. You just have to know where to move your mouse in order to keep control of your direction of fire. Burst I may turn off more often though because at least in auto you can still do single shots.

Personally I like to circle strafe (with infantry, i know it sounds weird) because it requires the enemy to keep their sights on you while you already know which way to move your mouse. Also, if I'm feeling lucky I will put a few bursts into the target, if they aren't smart they will use up their entire clip and as they try to run away I will pull my knife and chase them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X