Operation Barracuda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Barracuda

After a week of .8 and playing all the maps, I have to again thank the developers for the new ones. It is really great to have some new terrain to fight on.

I have noticed that in Operation Barracuda that there is a reoccurring issue with the American side. It seems the lack of land transport and a total dependence on choppers for transport from the carrier has made the map quite difficult for the USA. The trend I have noticed is that the requirement for pilots and pilot squads has drained the combat power of the US side, causing a severe imbalance in play. Being on the attack requires some advantage in force and the Americans loose this fundamental combat power due to the need to man and operate the choppers to get on to the island.

I think the map would be better if the USA side had some limited transport that was not totally dependent on the choppers. Although a really cool design idea, it doesn’t result in a very balanced game.

Perhaps the addition of some Bradley AFVs or some boats would tip the scale a bit more in favor of the USA side and thus make for a more balanced game on Operation Barracuda.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of the community on this topic.
    sigpic

Re: Operation Barracuda

I think it's more to do with the entire chinese team defending one flag, not the transport, although maybe some RHIB could help

Comment

Agreed. If 2 flags were cap-able at the begining, that would also solve some of the issue.
      sigpic

Comment

I think the US should just mass on the opposite end of the island from the cappable flag, get a FB or 2 up, and then push the attack once they have a solid foothold, leaving a squad behind to defend their fb spawn point(s). If they can do this, get some humvees to spawn before the attack, and coordinate CAS, they could probably easily overwhelm the flag that is defended.

This map requires extreme teamwork and even more importantly, patience and maturity from the chopper pilots. The attack hueys should sit on the carrier until the ground troops can neutralize most of the AA threats before they begin pounding the PLA flag. This is extremely hard to do on a given public match.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

the map might play out better if there was 1 more mile of open water around the island...allowing the choppers to flank without getting AA lock. As it is now, the chinese AA can ping the helos on the aircraft carrier, lol. every game I see a US chopper get blown up, followed by a chinese player saying "it was a bugged shot, I swear!"

The secret so far I have found is to prevent the chinese team from setting up a firebase south west on the airfield, and keep us troops near the beach to hunt down mobile shoulder mounted AA troops. This allows the helos to come in from the south-west, and the rocket-hueys can strafe from west-to-east which is an incline in elevation (easier LOS and more kills.) The airfield is also easier for the US team to defend, since it is fenced in, making it ideal for a firebase (as long as they defend it!)

For the most part, flags don't really matter since there is not a bleed against the US on the map. Keeping the CAS available, while preventing those brutal 10-man ticket donations when full helos get shot down sure helps keep the tickets close while infantry squads duke it out on land.
          |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Indeed. Capping a flag that is defended by some 20+ enemies is quite a challenge. Played a round last week when the US did not even came close of capping the flag for the entire round. Interesting tactics with squads in pilot-kits jumping from choppers managed to get close enough to engage the enemy in close quarters, but that was about it. Something should be done to give the US a decent chance to get a foothold on that island. I mean, none like being a lamb brough forward.
            sigpic
            The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

It is a big island so allies can make a FOB far away from the flag/enemies as well as more direct attacks

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

It s such a cool map..i think the carrier needs to be moved though
                Gerardnm

Comment

I agree with disposible.. the US needs to gain a foothold somewhere a good distance from their main... the airfield is perfect for that..

Comment

The problem with the map in my opinion is there needs to be two possible attack points for the first flag. This would make the enemy guess where the bulk of the US troops may be heading and allow for some better balance in gameplay. Also there is a lack of proper landing zones on the island IMO. I find it difficult to find safe and flat ground to set a bird on. But the map is still quite the adventure for the US, which I have yet to see win, even with great teamwork.

|
                    |

|TG-X|SuperCobra

Comment

I played one map where the Chinese got pushed back to only their main. They made a counter attack and pushed the US back two flags, but still a very close game. The key to the US success was getting Hummers spawned in, using them to assault and defend the flags. Dropping ammo for the troops helps a lot too.

Once we took out their Main force on the first flag the others fell really fast. We just went too fast and got countered. So the above advice works

P.S. All that was done with out a commander. So if we had had a commander we may not have been countered and beat the Chinese.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I think I've got 4-5 rounds of this map in so far and yes having two cappable flags at the start would really open things up for the US, but it is what it is right now.

Disp.'s got a great sounding idea, because if you dont hit docks hard and fast and early, (and with everything!) you're most likely not gonna take without a serious fight. If its not taken early you are definitely going to need a good base to operate from and some vehicles to to move you. I hope to get a chance to try the firebase at the airfield tactic some time soon. Tks guys.

|

Comment

I find this map very challenging for the Marine Corps team in general. A lot of odds are stacked against them:
                          • There is only one flag they are required to capture first, so PLA defense can be as concentrated as possible.
                          • The only method to make landfall is transport helos, and if you've flown on that map, you know how crippling and abundant AA emplacements/MANPADs are.
                          • Marine Corps can only get HMMWVs if they are able to establish forward outposts, while the PLA get them (and a hell lot of em) by default.

Now, to be honest, with all these odds, I still think a well coordinated Marine Corps team has a good shot at winning if they are able to do two things:
                          • Get some squads on land quickly at the beginning of the game before the PLA can get their AA set up and have their Hueys drop crates to establish forward outposts (The outposts themselves don't necessarily even have to be near the first flag, it's just good to have an alternative to the carrier spawn. Also, as stated before, the airstrip seems like a good choice.)
                          • When attacking flags, always have your Huey Gunships come in and provide CAS to clear it out first. If anything, at least have em take out Nanjings and Bunkers.

| |

Comment

Well what comes to mind is the last fight scene in We Were Soldiers. This was a good use of attack helos to weed out the big stuff and then clean up. Basically the US Infantry stormed the hill and while the Vietnamese Infantry we setting up for them, attack hueys flew in and took them out.

So having a diversonary attack from one side and then sending in Hueys from the other side is a great way to assualt a heavily defended position. This has been proven many times when I last played Op. Barracuda.

I was on the Chinese team defending the west end of Airfield with only 6 guys. We had two MG emplacements one to the north and one to the south. A few sandbag walls to the North and South and one AA emplacement. We were able to take out/deter quite a few helos, but we were taken out at least 4-5 times because of the above mentioned strategy.
                            Created by Sonic

Comment

The map is challenging, but as Skud proved in the excellent round he commanded on us, the us has all the tools to do it.

You have no bleed, so you have time. You have firebases and hummvee's. You have attack hueys. You have a JDAM after only one hour, which you will be able to use to get the first flag usually. It takes time to set up capping that bridge flag.

I say the map is indeed a challenge, but I'd like to keep it that way. It is not as hard for us as e.g. Jabal used to be.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X