Spotter class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotter class

Hey i was just thinking that a spotter class could be cool if it was possible i was thinking that you should have the Ghillie Suit,the grenadier weapon,SOFLAM, Field Dressings x4, Pistol silencer.

Just a Idea.

Re: Spotter class

No matter what they add, people would still abuse and misuse the sniper kit.

But, it's certainly a good idea. Scratch the SOFLAM - model a range finder...
    Skud

Comment

Guille suit doesnt work in BF2, so its useless
      Gren weapon? Why? They would probably have a standard rifle IRL
      SOFLAM... well duh.
      Field dressings x4 would rox.
      Silenced pistol.. not really.

This kit would be useless IMO. Infact, in a game where you dont personally need someone beside you checking and double checking angles, wind, all that crazyness, the spotter isnt nessisary.

If they add a Spotter class, they NEED to add an airtraffic controler class!

~Sirsolo
      |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Sir Solo;

Using the US Army as a model, spotters often have a M16A2 with an M203

2-12. M16A1/A2 RIFLE WITH M203 GRENADE LAUNCHER

The observer carries the M16A1/A2 rifle with the M203 grenade launcher. The sniper, carrying the M24 SWS, lacks the firepower required to break contact with enemy forces-that is, ambush or chance contact. The rapid-fire ability of the M16A1/A2 rifle, combined with the destructive abilities of the M203 40-mm grenade launcher (Figure 2-25), gives the sniper team a lightweight, easily operated way to deliver the firepower required to break contact. (See FM 23-9 and FM 23-31, respectively, for the technical characteristics of these weapons.)
        So instead of "would" in your post, maybe you should properly inform yourself. FM-23 is a good place to start...

SOFLAM in this case would be the M49

Useless? Snipers never operate alone. I can't tell you how many times a spotter has saved my ass in game by prioritizing targets or increasing firepower.

Air Traffic Control is totally different than what you're describing in game...

Air Traffic Controller - 1C1X1

What you're describing is the role of Combat Control or Tactical Air Control Party.

Combat Control - 1C2X1
        Tactical Air Control Party - 1C4X1

Essentially, Combat Control and TACP guys are USAF Special Forces (Some of the best in the world, by the way) who coordinate air assets with ground units. We already have this in game through 3 sources:

1. SF kit, if he makes it his mission to do so.
        2. Squad leaders, in a sense, are CC or TACP guys
        3. Officers in CAS squads are often not only communications to the commander and team, but can be seen driving around on maps like Kashan, lasing for their CAS squad.

No need for a new kit, when all the tools are there already.
        Last edited by Skud; 09-09-2008, 04:45 PM.
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsson View Post
          Hey i was just thinking that a spotter class could be cool if it was possible i was thinking that you should have the Ghillie Suit,the grenadier weapon,SOFLAM, Field Dressings x4, Pistol silencer.
          Someone has been watching Shooter.

Edit: Response to Sonic, I didn't feel like making a new post...

Read the man's profile, take note of his age. Although I do grant you that his military does use Canada's C7, which can be equipped with M203s.
          Last edited by Waldo_II; 09-09-2008, 05:24 PM.
          Waldo II

Comment

or is in the armed forces...
            |TG|
            ||||

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              No matter what they add, people would still abuse and misuse the sniper kit.

But, it's certainly a good idea. Scratch the SOFLAM - model a range finder...

Ill say it again....

Commander Approval for the sniper..

Originally posted by llPANCHOll
              Feel free to tear into me if this has already been suggested...

But what about a Commander Approval when someone Requests a Sniper Kit..

To make it completely foolproof, you could have a "SPOTTER" kit that only is requestable by a Squad Leader similar to the Officer Kit, but would require Commander Approval before it was issued. The "SPOTTER" kit would contain whatever would be appropriate... Scoped Rifle, Soflam, Tripflares, Kotex and the like. Only after a SL has Requested and recieved a "SPOTTER" kit can a member of his Squad request a Sniper kit. That would put the Squad Leader as the Spotter.. in communication with the Commander, and the Sniper under his command.

I think this could help keep the Sniper as a tool at the disposal of the commander.

Comment

Sir Solo;

Using the US Army as a model, spotters often have a M16A2 with an M203

So instead of "would" in your post, maybe you should properly inform yourself. FM-23 is a good place to start...

SOFLAM in this case would be the M49

Useless? Snipers never operate alone. I can't tell you how many times a spotter has saved my ass in game by prioritizing targets or increasing firepower.

Air Traffic Control is totally different than what you're describing in game...

Air Traffic Controller - 1C1X1

What you're describing is the role of Combat Control or Tactical Air Control Party.

Combat Control - 1C2X1
                Tactical Air Control Party - 1C4X1

Essentially, Combat Control and TACP guys are USAF Special Forces (Some of the best in the world, by the way) who coordinate air assets with ground units. We already have this in game through 3 sources:

1. SF kit, if he makes it his mission to do so.
                2. Squad leaders, in a sense, are CC or TACP guys
                3. Officers in CAS squads are often not only communications to the commander and team, but can be seen driving around on maps like Kashan, lasing for their CAS squad.

No need for a new kit, when all the tools are there already.
                I think he meant to say ATC, because an ATC would be about as useful in PR as a spotter class.

Comment

Great suggestion. This kit would be abused though especialy since somone might take the kit without a sniper in there squad. Instead of the kits bieng requested the CO should distribute them to the squads. In a perfect world all infantry squads should have a G, AR, and LAT. The squads should be:
                  Infantry(6): SL,R,M,LAT,AR,G
                  Demolition(3): SL SF(Same weapons as SF no explosives),SF,SF
                  Anti-Armor(3): SL,HAT,R
                  Sniper Team(2): Sniper,Spotter
                  But with the current setup I say just use the SL kit for spotting cause he can set up markers and has GLTD/SOFLAM, no need to waist the SF kit unless enge doesnt have grappling hook.
                  Sniper team(3): SL,S,E or SF(for grappling hook)

, , or

Comment

I like the idea.
                    And the suggestion Pancho had is probably the only way to keeping it from being abused.
                    I will second Skud on what he said about a spotter saving him, same has happened to me many times.
                    Everything becomes so much easier when you get somebody to call out target location and distance.

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                      Guille suit doesnt work in BF2

~Sirsolo
                      Yet.... ;)

Comment

No, actually,the Dev's dont have any idea how to get it to work.

Don't lie to them
                        Skud

Comment

Well, if theres any way to... I donno, look at another games mechanics to see how they make the suit work, and then program something like that into PR?

The best Guille suit is in COD4.. Ive had 3 hostiles around me when I was in the tiniest patch of grass.. then I knifed one, and was shot after.

Anywho, I think that what COD4 does is when you zoom in, your visibility acts like your there (it renders the grass and such based on that..)

Not a computer tech here, first day back to school, my brain is mush. Hope that made sense.

~Sirsolo
                          |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

... I can't tell you how many times a spotter has saved my ass in game by prioritizing targets or increasing firepower.
                            Remember that time you were sniping on Qwai, when I yelled out "OMG SKUD, PIZZA!" and you nearly burned your house down while playing BF2?

Spotter = life saver!
                            |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I'd rather see a paratrooper kit first, just some guy with a parachute, carbine rifle (Some make of the AR 15 would do fine for US), some smoke, maybe a grenade or two and medical patches with maybe 1 slam or a seperate paratrooper kit with LAT limited to 1-2 people at one time having it.

Although what would be even better is to put in either a kit for calling in mortar strikes or something like that so all factions can have access to calling in small mm shells, with a somewhat lengthy recharge time of course but need to implement somehow mortar teams..
                              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X