Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is with this need to have special kits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with this need to have special kits?

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I have been in 4 different matches where my entire squad finds it necessary to get a special kit. Just now on Al Kufrah one of my squadmates decided to get a HAT kit when we specifically asked him to get Engy, and when he died he requested it again after which he was killed, again. This was in the span of 5-6 minutes... so right there our team lost two HATs which were the only things able to take out tanks seeing as our team lost those in about 10 minutes.

Earlier I was playing on Qwai where we had a whole squad of specialty kits. I had spawned and picked up one as requested, but then everyone else decided to get something too. I think our final layout was Officer, SpecOps, Sniper, Grenadier, HAT(Me), Auto Rifle. I don't want to be mean to some people but usually I look at a layout of a squad and spawn as something they need, not something that I want to play. By doing that we were unable to revive anyone and lost all the kits, and we didn't have a rifleman to reload those kits anyway.

After 4 rounds of dealing with this I am sorry that I have to come rant here. Please don't tell me I am all alone in experiencing this.
    Created by Sonic

Re: What is with this need to have special kits?

I've seen it all the time. My own squads usually end up with one of my two medics grabbing a limited kit, and maybe (if I'm lucky) a single rifleman in the mix, up until the part where we all die and those kits are lost.

I'm seriously considering asking people not to request limited kits without asking me first! I've been in at least one squad where the SL mandated that, and that worked out pretty well.

Comment

Well, the special kits are special for a reason. That's why they're requested, and limited. They tend to be better, stronger, faster then the regular kits.

The solution: Make it clear you don't need them in your squad, and punish those that ignore your role as their leader. No use having any kit if no squad takes you. If they want special kits, they can go make their own squad and see what the commander does with them. Then it stops being your problem and starts being the commanders. =D

Im going to bed now, I hope that made sense.

~Sirsolo
      |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

I personally think that none of the special kits are that much better, other than HAT and LAT. I would take a rifle and some hand grenades any day.
        Created by Sonic

Comment

i tend to grab the Hat or Lat kit just cause i have been in way too many squads where a APC or jeep rolls up and no one has anything to contend with it. Besides those kits, i tended to stick to the rifleman kit, But now, the deviation is so bad, that i prefer something without optics. any kit with a grapple hook is my new favorite, and a lot of the maps engineer or scout has them.

Comment

Chap, if you are SL or even just a SM in someone elses squad and a player is told NOT to grab a kit and does anyway, that is disobeying SL orders, which just so happens to be illegal around these parts. If you see it happen, report it please.

Comment

The last couple of days I have had numerous players disobeying direct orders and taking kit's when instructed not to. I am normally fairly relaxed about a lot of things but I have had enough of immature, insubordinate players. Yesterday I kicked a few players from my squads for not toeing the line. I had so many other discipline problems at the start of rounds that I failed to report these players, simply booting them from the squad, 'till I could get some decent players in. I apologise to the other SL's as I should have taken the time to get these muppets kicked, instead of passing the problem on to the CO or another squad. I will not let it slide in future.

Can I just add that the constant peddling of this myth that the limited kits are somehow better is contributing to the problem. They are not better, they are simply different tools for different jobs. How can LAT be better or faster than rifleman, in for instance CQB or a situation where you require ammo. How can a sniper kit be better or faster than a medic when a teammate is hurt. Please for the love of PR stop perpetuating the myth.
              I sincerely do not mean to pick on anyone individual, I will stop shooting these ridiculous posts down when people stop putting them up.

Think about what these posts lead new players to believe. They possibly already come from a background of 'unlockables' and 'grinding' where you can simply collect your way to success. This has absolutely no relevance to PR whatsoever. What then happens is at the begining of a round all the muppets run around gobbling up limited kits. Later on the properly organised squad needs a LAT for a specific situation, bingo they can't get one. I do not allow my squad to pick up a limited kit unless I, the squad leader, deem it absolutely necessary to the task at hand. Once the task is completed, i.e. APC down, if the player has died I will often let the kit go back into rotation, instructing the player to return to his assigned kit.

We have always had players who don't have a clue running around chasing kits like Pac Man, not giving a thought to the team. The restrictions in 0.8 make the already negative impact these people have even worse. Lets not contribute to this difficult situation by misinforming new players about the importance of the kit's, or their proper usage. The single most important kit in PR is the rifleman, as everyone should be a rifleman first. To be brutally honest most of these sort of players have a long way to go before being anywhere near barely competent as a basic rifleman/infantryman. Something that in my opinion should be mastered to some degree before moving on to anything else.

Comment

Time to separate the wheat from the chaff, folks. It is high time we started demanding that players play up to our standards and stop accepting less than what the rules and the primer specify. We've let too much slide in the past few months and it is time to get that rectified.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

If the players on the server read these forums, we might have less of this because they would get educated and learn. But i don't think they do or they take what they read here lightly. I can also understand this happening when there is no real leadership or teamwork happening on the server for several reasons but not else.

I think everyone needs to be firmer on the server. Firstly try to educate players on the server about the special kits. If people don't listen to orders, kick/report them. It's probably not what you want to be doing when you want to play and get some fun teamwork going, but it's for the best.

Comment

The mentality of the average gamer sees a limited or restricted anything to be better and hence more powerful than normally available things. In this case, normal kits that can be gotten on spawn are rejected as inferior and common even though veterans know that is not true. We can try to breed the idiot out of the player but it's going to take a lot of hard work as it does for EVERY SINGLE RELEASE. We have these Dejavu moments every time a new release comes out and a new batch of players come in. Those that can play within the rules and learn stay, those that can't be anything but twink munchkins leave after causing untold amount of grief.

If the BF2 code allowed it, I would almost ask for the SL to approve restricted kit acquisitions via a Page Up/Down request. At least then the SL could control who gets what kick when.

I can't tell you the number of times that someone joins my squad, grabs a limited kit and then leaves my squad. That is becoming a problem BTW. To come into my squad to get an AT kit or a SF kit or a Sniper kit and then to leave when you have your prize really pisses me off. It's not technically against the rules so !reporting them doesn't really matter. Plus do I even know it's intensional or not?

Or I tell them not to get a certain kit because it's not useful to our mission role and they do it anyways which results in me kicking them from the squad. Sniper is a big one here that some vanilla always seems to get because obviously the sniper is the most powerful kit in the game.

It's painful every single release. It's enough to drive someone to not game sometimes.
                    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Like Disposable said... The admins have instructions to clean up the server. They can only do so with the help of the players.

If someone is playing selfishly, let the admins know.

If someone disobeys an order, do not kick them from your squad. Tell an admin, so he can kick them from the server!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X