WideScreen Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WideScreen Support

Ive seen a lot of messages where people complain that there is no wide screen support. This is not entirely true. You can get any resolution you want, you just have to know the shortcut. The truth is, if you have a wide screen for gaming purposes, you can check out

www . widescreengamer . com

to find support for nearly all games that don't have some sort of wide screen "simple solution". that being said, for BF2, BF2142, and PR (along with any other battlefield mod) you simply need to change the launching shortcut.

step 1. find your BF2 / PR / BF2142 shortcut
    step 2. right click the shortcut and go to properties.
    step 3. change target location to have the correct resolution you want.

example :

D:\Games\FPS\BF2\mods\pr\pr.exe +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 800

just copy and paste the "+widescreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 800"
    the 1280 and 800 are the X and Y axis of pixels, so pick which resolution you support. Most widescreens are 20,22 inch and support 1680 by 1050, so replace the 1280 by 800 with those numbers

Good luck, if you have any problems feel free to PM me.

~ Bmxer4l1fe

Re: WideScreen Support

This does not give a true wide screen though. It just stretches everything to fit the whole screen.

Comment

Vivid is right, this isn't wide screen support. There is however a program out there which actually truly works but many people have been banned by punkbuster because they accidentally used the version that punkbuster doesn't support so I won't post it up. Also +widescreen 1 only works for bf2142, it is a meaningless parameter in the bf2 engine.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
      In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I know there is a widescreen fixer out there. I used it myself. I stopped using it only because I was lazy. And because back in .756, it was easy for me to use it to get an advantage in CQC (I could reset the FOV to normal when I was looking down the sights, giving me a much larger FOV than everyone else). Now, of course, that isn't an issue, but I'm still lazy.

The problem with that fixer is it multiplied the FOV. Nothing more. Everything was still streched- it not only multiplied the FOV horizontally, but also vertically.
        Waldo II

Comment

I'm purchasing a 22" widescreen tomorrow and am vaguely aware of these widescreen issues. How does PR perform on a widescreen? Does it only fill up to 4:3 ratio and leave "letterboxes" on the left and right side of the screen?
          TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Laguna, depends on your video driver, I have my ATI set to show a black band on only the right side of the screen. I used to have an older video card that would simply stretch the picture. You can also use the methods described here to combat the wide screen issues
            Watch your fire, be safe.

Comment

I used* a 7600 and it filled the whole screen when I forced the resolution but if I didn't force it, it would just stretch to fill the screen on it's own.

*Past tense because the card died yesterday.... back to my FX 5500 which can't even run bf2 -_-

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by FFLaguna View Post
                I'm purchasing a 22" widescreen tomorrow and am vaguely aware of these widescreen issues. How does PR perform on a widescreen? Does it only fill up to 4:3 ratio and leave "letterboxes" on the left and right side of the screen?

No Laguna my Acer 22" widescreen with changing what Yourmom has posted here (have had this done since BF2 hit the shelves ) :)

and have NO BLACK LINES neither top nor bottom of the screen :) just remember to put in the SAME SPACES in between.

yup Laguna in yur BR2 shortcut you just change the end of the address.

Games\FPS\BF2\mods\pr\pr.exe +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 800

my only diffrence is i have 1600 and 1200 in the res sections and the widescreen :)

just read YourMom's post at the top and you'll have it handled m8 :)

Comment

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated for the tips!
                  TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Yea, yourmom and cappy are right - use the additional shortcut they listed.

I use +widescreen 1 +szx1920 +szy1200 for my 24in. widescreen monitor. It works good on BF2: POE also.

To address what kittykat eluded to about strecthing, try using widescreen fixer (http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/ and see this link too: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=166411) in addition to the fix above. I use it, and it works well. Just set the update rate to 1.

Have fun with the new monitor,

-Zippy
                    Attached Files

:icon_frow
                    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                    sigpic

Comment

This fix does stretch the ingame chat text and other messages on screen, but the other graphics does not stretch. I think that's why people think it stretches everything. To make sure it does not stretch your image, look at something circleshaped in-game, for example a wheel of some kind.
                      sigpic
                      "Danger could be my middle name, but it's John..." Eddie Izzard

Comment

I dont use +widescreen 1, i just set custom resolution, 1680 x 1050, and it looks fine, full screen, perfect res and no lines.

Comment

I use widescreen +1 on my 24" monitor, BF2 set at 1680 - 1050 or whatever it is, monitor set at 1900 by 1200. Looks superb and no stretching, I think Fivenine is right it's just some of the hud that stretches but even that looks the same on mine. By the way I didn't use the widescreen fixer either.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                            I use widescreen +1 on my 24" monitor, BF2 set at 1680 - 1050 or whatever it is, monitor set at 1900 by 1200. Looks superb and no stretching, I think Fivenine is right it's just some of the hud that stretches but even that looks the same on mine. By the way I didn't use the widescreen fixer either.
                            My too, I don't see why this "fixer" even exists. It all seems to work fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                              My too, I don't see why this "fixer" even exists. It all seems to work fine for me.
                              If you're using a widescreen resolution via the +szx/y commandline flags, what's happening is that BF2 renders a 4x3 frame and then chops off the top and bottom... so you're actually seeing less than those using a 4x3 resolution. Granted, it doesn't affect infantry gameplay all that much (not being able to see more sky and ground = no big deal), but if you're a pilot, you'll notice a big difference in situational awareness in what you can see above/below you. (Actually, maybe not so much in PR, where the cockpit already blocks a lot of your view)

:)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X