This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing in a car

Driving around in a car with the purpose of ramming people, is it allowed? I see it quite a bit, so I tried to search for an answer. This is all I could find:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...-vehicles.html

It appears the answer is no. Is there a more recent thread?

More specifically, this morning while my team was building a firebase on the island(Barracuda) a Chinese player with noone else in his vehicle drove full speed at the firebase, crushing a couple of players and endangering himself greatly. I suggested that they should stop and a large group seemed to feel that driving around running people over was allowed. Say it isn't so.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: Soloing in a car

The rules clearly say:

4. Suicide Tactics

Suicide tactics are FORBIDDEN*. Such tactics include suicide c4 jeeps (or any other vehicle), ramming any vehicle or player with a vehicle and blowing yourself up to cause the death of the other player.

* Exception: Insurgents in the project reality mod may use suicide vehicles and c4

Link to rules here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...-pr-rules.html

So unless you are an insurgent, it's a no no :D

Comment

Well, it is not actually a suicide tactic. It may be self endangering, but the intent does not include killing oneself. SO the rules seem to be lacking in this area.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yeah i agree with you. I think we'll have to put that one in the big PR realism bag rule. Driving around trying to kill people isn't realistic in the real world.

1. Strive for realism

Tactical Gamer promotes playing the game in as realistic manner as possible, with players utilizing military tactics to the best of their ability. The game should be played with the emphasis on teamwork and tactics, and players should avoid at all costs utilizing a feature of the game as an exploit to gain an advantage over their opponents. Use weapons and vehicles in as realistic manner as possible.

Comment

Adapt and overcome.
          After all, if you play right, you shouldn't be standing in the middle of open anyway and you should either have a L-AT or a jeep with .50 cal on it to deal with that stuff.

I'd actually congratulate that guy for managing to accomplish that, every time I'm in the Chinese ice cream van also known as Nanjing, I get shot out due no protection from small arms.

Comment

Driving around with the sole intent of running people over isn't acceptable. If you are moving from point A to point B and someone is in the way, flatten them. Spending a large amount of time cruising for victims - nope.

This does fall under rule #1 - realism. Please show me where units in a real world military spend all day looking for people to run over. You can't. Yes, they might run down a guy or two firing on them in the street, but not looking for them all day.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Yeah, I figured that might cover it. When I mentioned no armies having run people over squads I was asked what army I was in...

Owtlawz, the guys weren't in the open they were building a firebase. As far as I know the only way to get humvees on the island is to spawn them at a bunker, which we did not have. I don't think congratulating someone for breaking rules is a good idea. For the record he was in a open top buggie, not the Nanjing.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Tell me it isn't realistic in the real world!!! Buddy of mine just got back from Iraq and he said he was driving around in a Humvee and killed 2 people that were trying to get close to him and plant a bomb on him..... or so he thought they were, lol.

Still he was not trying to kill these people intentionally and definitely was driving around trying to look for people to run over. By the way he explained it was when they approached him carrying a package he assumed it was a bomb and mashed on the fuel and the just happened to be in the way. I can understand doing something like that in his situation. I know if I feared the worse I would have probably done the same thing.

Unsure of how true this is but funny as hell when he told us about it and then pulled official looking papers out to show us.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                  Tell me it isn't realistic in the real world!!! Buddy of mine just got back from Iraq and he said he was driving around in a Humvee and killed 2 people that were trying to get close to him and plant a bomb on him..... or so he thought they were, lol.

Still he was not trying to kill these people intentionally and definitely was driving around trying to look for people to run over. By the way he explained it was when they approached him carrying a package he assumed it was a bomb and mashed on the fuel and the just happened to be in the way. I can understand doing something like that in his situation. I know if I feared the worse I would have probably done the same thing.

Unsure of how true this is but funny as hell when he told us about it and then pulled official looking papers out to show us.
                  Re-read my prior post: Running over someone is fine. Making it your sole intent for the entire round is not.
                  Where is the teamwork in that? Where are the real-life tactics that we are supposed to strive to emulate and are dictated in the TG primer?

No, this is a lone-wolf mentality and players looking to rack up easy kills by exploiting game mechanics to their advantage. This directly violates the primer and rule #1.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team.
                  Last edited by disposableHero; 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Why is that funny?

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                      Well, it is not actually a suicide tactic. It may be self endangering, but the intent does not include killing oneself. SO the rules seem to be lacking in this area.
                      sure it is, you are trying to run over people in the hope that they jump or move into the street to fire upon you, in hopes that while running over people and driving like a 16 year old who just got his drivers permit that you in fact get shot and/or your car is blown up in the vicinity of other enemy squads/players.

the rules are not lacking, in my mind, you are trying to find a loophole within the rules.

Now if it is an insurgent map (muttrah isn't an insurgent map, fools road isn't an insurgent map, assault on mestia isn't an insurgent map etc etc.) and you are on the insurgent side you can run over as many people as you want, however if it is not an insurgent map, you cannot do this. Its in the rules, and pretty straightforward, also see d1sposable's post.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Here's an older thread with the same concerns: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ng-screen.html

I'm responsible for doing this once on a round of Muttrah as USMC, grabbing one of the civilian cars and running people over. Shortly after admitting it over chat, I was justly kicked for breaking the realism rule.

I apologize, and will think twice before committing vehicular homicide or any other remotely unrealistic tactic on this server. At least an innocent player was not blamed for TKing, good to see the admins are vigilant and observant in PR unlike many vanilla servers.

From now on, I'll keep the road rage in single player, or while a disgruntled AK-wielding Insurgent on Ramiel. :)
                        Medic - If you can feel, I can heal

Comment

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot3.htm

We dont have proper damage like that with the bf2 engine and together with netcode and hitboxes it makes the tactic more effective then it should be. I think its ok if you dont reverse, circle or repeatedly do it

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

The alternative to running over an enemy who just happens to be in your travel path is what... to actively try NOT to hit him?

I understand not driving around for 45 minutes one manning a humvee just looking for some roadkill.

Where it gets REALLY grey is when you run past an enemy rally in a FAV, run over a guy... and then try to decide whether or not you should go back. If you do go back to knife the rally and someone spawns in as you approach... do you run them over?

Getting out of the car and approaching on foot slows you down and opens you up to having 2 or more people spawn in as you try to knife the rally. That's generally what I do just to avoid running someone over again, and most of the time I get killed for it.

Keeping someone in the 50 seems to be the best solution. I think enforcing a no roadkill under any circumstance rule would be a bit extreme and hard to enforce.

Comment

Run the truck onto the rp, which gives you some cover as you prone to knife it. Or probably best is to use some distance + 50 cal to shoot it

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X