Your .8 Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your .8 Impressions

Project Reality .8 has been out for a couple of weeks now. Its been around long enough for us to make out our impressions and feelings on it. So, simply, this thread is about how you feel about it. Like it? Hate it? A step up or a step down?

I personally think .8 is quite good. A definite leap up from .75:

The slowed down gameplay is both a pro and a con, in my opinion. Adds for a more tactical experience, but can be incredibly boring (remember, the point of a game IS to be fun). Sitting around Hilltop on Fools for an hour, not doing anything or shooting anyone (this seems to be the case recently) is not a good PR experience.

The new iron sights are amazing, beautiful, and fun. Wish I could say the same about all the animations. Many of them are slick and nice, but in the case of the auto-rifles, they are a pain. Yes, I know, they're there to slow down gameplay and prevent gun and run, but doing a brass check in a CQC situation can be frustrating and leave you going "The hell?"

New sounds are nice. Love the concussion-ish feeling of the grenades and mortars.

Maps are beautiful, but seem to disagree with my computer (which is reasonably high in specs). 15-25 frames on Muttrah is a turn-off, considering Im running on medium-ish settings. Korengal is amazingly beautiful, and exciting playing on both sides. Ramiel is nice, but haven't really gotten to experience it yet (only have screwed around in local on it).

Vehicles are nice. The Stryker I was concerned about for a while (so was Charity) about whether it would be properly used or not. As of yet, I've seen no issues. The Bradleys are nice, the new Abrams skin looks nice, and the BH looks really sexy.

Anyways, theres more to say, yet I'm in a bit of a rush. Go ahead, tell your ideas/opinions/etc.

~Cody

Re: Your .8 Impressions

0.8 is Yum Yum Yum.

A few things that they SHOULD have fixed dawned on me on a Kashan round..

The Apache is still at a major disadvantage, being a crookedish heli, starting on its side.. throwing your sense of balance off... have a significantly less range of view for the pilot compared to every other heli, and is WAY too sensitive. (I can put the Havok into a standstill in about 2 seconds... I dont think the Apache ever WAS at a standstill.)

Also, the HAT kits still dont have a max range. (IRL, its 600m. SRAW and ERYX at least.) In PR its a one hit kill infinite range equivilent to an artillery shell. Which I dont like.

Other then that, Tad Sae is like Ghost Train+Bi Ming, and it's sorta.. done before. Could have done with another big air-asset level.

Korengal=mah fav.

Uhhhm

School time =P

~Sirsolo
    |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Yes, Korengal is fun.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

My take on .8 (to date):

Maps: A

This is the feature that most everyone really wanted - new terrain to fight over. We received five new maps - Muttrah, Korengal, Tad Sae, Ramiel, Operation Barracuda. Three AAS maps, two insurgency. However, with insurgency being fixed, we really received an additional two "new" maps, Al Basrah and Operation Archer. Additional changes were made to almost all of the other maps that we are all familiar with from previous versions that changed the game play on each enough that in reality, every single map was new!

Korengal Valley: A visually stunning masterpiece. It is only a 1km map, which puts it at the size of Operation Phoenix (I think), but due to the various "levels" and difficulty of terrain it plays much larger than it really is. This is one of the few maps that I feel completely immersed in my "role", especially when I'm playing on the US side. It just feels "real" and really aids in getting into character.

Muttrah City 2.0: The finest map in PR, hands down. Muttrah is purely epic in terms of scale, beauty, and the variables necessary to make each round a unique experience. I think I will not grow tired of this map even after playing it for 6 months or a year. From the detail of patterns on the road along the water front, to the ornate "gazebos" strewn through out the city, to the number and variety of the enter-able buildings, to the variety of tactics required to be successful, this map is a shining example of what a PR map should be.

Operation Barracuda: I have a love-hate relationship with this map. The detail on this map is a close second to Muttrah. The tunnel systems, the multiple level waterfall, the coloring of the sky and lighting - this map is visually stunning. However, the level of frustration experienced when playing on the US side on most rounds is excruciating. The level of coordination, teamwork, and patience required by the US team makes being successful on this map very, very difficult. Again, due to the AAS3 that works on this map and the challenges it presents, Barracuda is a map that will not grow stale in the rotation no matter how many times it is played.

Ramiel: Another success in my humble opinion. Sprawling city streets, enter-able buildings and numerous ambush points makes this map a blast to play regardless of what team you're on. Plenty of CQB for the insurgency to balance the optics of the US team. This is a map that again emphasizes teamwork for the US side, with dismounted infantry supporting and being supporting by their Strykers and humvees. A lot of fun to play.

Tad Sae: Probably the least inspiring map in the new release. I honestly have only played it a couple of times and wasn't that thrilled with any of my experiences on this map. I need more time on this map to get a better "feel" for it.

Game modes: A+

Well, they fixed insurgency, so .8 is already a win in that regard. However, with the addition of AAS3, even though it only works on Barracuda, is an ambitious and brilliant move by the DEV team that basically acts as a multiplier for the number of maps they have available for PR. I'm sure that they will work the kinks out of it for .85 and we will be left with two to three times the number of maps available to play on.

However, perhaps the best part of the new release, and entirely unexpected, is C and C mode. This mode takes PR to a whole new level and makes it an entirely new game, freeing it from it's BF2 roots. Complete freedom of movement, tactics, and game play - it doesn't get any better than this! We will be seeing a lot of new maps built specifically for this type of game mode, and when they are released, PR is really going to hit it's stride. The only downside to this game mode is that it seems best suited for scrimmage games, where there is time to prepare a plan for each team. Regardless, this is a brilliant addition to the game and will keep PR playable for a long, long time.

Game play: A

I really, really like the changes to game play that have slowed the pacing of the game. The new rally point system, the reduction in endurance, the vastly improved medic and the man-down timer changes gives PR a more "real" feeling to it, especially after playing it now for several weeks. I admit that I wasn't too thrilled when I was helping to stress-test the release, but I attribute that now more to it being different from what I was used to more than actually stepping back and seeing the big picture. At this point, the changes are all second nature to me and I'm sure to everyone else as well. It just feels right.

Another change I like is the deviation. I'm not going to offer some experts opinion on weapon deviation, characteristics of the different weapons and their real-life abilities simply because I have very, very limited experience with any of it and with most of it I have zero experience. I will say that PR is not Star Wars, so the elimination of the laser-beam tendency of a lot of the weapons is very, very welcome. I enjoy the fact that my squad can now engage in a fire-fight at 100m and it isn't over in 3 seconds. It makes you appreciate the life of your character more, because you want to find cover and you can exchange fire. It also gives you time to suppress and flank - your squad isn't instantly dead (or the enemy squad as well) and you can now play the game. Yes, I would like to be able to hit what my cross-hairs are on when I pull the trigger, but that is a limitation of the engine not being able to represent weapon sway, etc.

Animations: B

I never really felt motion sickness like some people have expressed, but I didn't like the animations at first. I understand their purpose is to slow the game while also making things more realistic, and to that end they have succeeded. They're growing on me now and I don't even notice them much any more. The one part that is frustrating is the need for the SAW gunner to check the belt every time the weapon is drawn, but that's just the way it goes I guess. The new explosions, vehicles effects, etc. are all winners!

Sounds: A+

Grenades are fixed. Everything sounds so much better now. Terrific success here. The sounds now provide more immersion into the game and I love all of them.

Vehicles: A

This rating is based on my limited vehicle experiences - I haven't flown a jet or attack chopper yet (of course, this has been the case since I started playing PR) so I cannot offer any feedback on those. However, for the armor, I love all of the changes. The TOW Bradley is awesome and is a feared weapon on the field when you see it. The only change on the tanks that I'm not too thrilled with is the deviation on the coaxial mgs. Too much deviation in my opinion. There needs to be a middle ground between what it is now and the laser beams that they were before.

Overall: A

PR .8 is probably the most ground-breaking release for PR since .5 came out. The DEVS have succeeded in moving the game forward by leaps and bounds, improving an already excellent game by orders of magnitude. The new maps were desperately needed and they exceeded my expectations in terms of playability and visual appeal.

Well done!
        Last edited by disposableHero; 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM. Reason: I can't count

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

couldn't have put it better my self disposable

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
            Overall: A

PR .8 is probably the most ground-breaking release for PR since .5 came out. The DEVS have succeeded in moving the game forward by leaps and bounds, improving an already excellent game by orders of magnitude. The new maps were desperately needed and they exceeded my expectations in terms of playability and visual appeal.

Well done!
            Guess I started playing at just the right time. :row__593:

Comment

I LOVE the music for the game, i wish they would let people download it.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                I never thought about this, I have the music turned off.. Guess I will never know what Im missing..

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                  http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...oundtrack.html

;)

Comment

I just wish there was a way that punkbuster would teach me the secret handshake.
                    Other than that, Ace!
                    Haha jk it sux lol.
                    :P

Comment

.8 is a very new and different twist to the PR line-up.

It by far, has more immersion built into the game, its gone more to the strategy type, where planning and tactics are KEY to success on the battlefield, and not just run and gun.

It brings new light to the BF2 Series, and personally ITS JUST AWESOME !!
                      The Few,The Proud, The =WTC=
                      =WTC=2ndLt.Plus2 (SA,TSSA,RCTR)
                      sigpic
                      ]Ahhhh it makes a day at the office worth every minute !

Comment

.8 represents a large leap in PR.

Vehicles are edging back to a support role instead of metal coffins, they handle better, take a little more of a beating, but they are not overpowered.

The new ironsights are just wonderful and add a little more realism, subtly. Its the little things like that for the infantry.

New maps round out a great update, Muttrah plays like a dream and Korengal can be frustrating, but very rewarding. Tad Sae plays like Ghost Train and Bi Ming, so if you liked those maps, you'll like this one.

Comment

To put it in a nutshell so I dont ramble on and on like I'm beginning to do now which makes my posts really long and boring and people just dont like that. You know? Like this one post... Now what was I saying? Oh yes to put it in a nutshell:
                          ITS THE MOST AWESOME THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek :

Comment

Some interesting points and screenshots of 0.8 :
                            http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-...ing#post802434

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I would love to see better damage physics in PR. For example if the tail of any helicopter is shot enough/severely damage, its done, putting the chopper into a barely controllable spin.

Same for airplanes, not every missle will fully destroy a plane, especially A-10s, they should be crippled, enough to maybe land with a skilled pilot/have enough time for pilot to bail.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X