Calling contacts and how to make it more accurate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling contacts and how to make it more accurate

I would like to get other peoples opinion on how calling out contacts can be made more accurate. I have other ideas but will wait to hear from others first.

Here are some TG SOPs d1sp0sabl3H3r0 pointed out.

SITREPS
    Contact report
    TG SOPs

The quote below stems from an AAR found HERE

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0
    This illustrates why bearing don't work unless you are in the same location:

You call contact, 45 degrees, 100m your location, squad member looks 45 degrees his location, which is in the wrong place.

Your right, your diagram illustrates the problem perfectly and emphasis es the need to call distance as well. I guess I'm weird in that I can usually adjust where I look based on where the SM is who is calling it out. I say usually because I usually try to keep my squad close together. The best way is to have the SL place a maker on it or have a machine gunner call out follow my tracer as he is engaging.

Now if you look at your diagram and substitute the bearing and place it with a direction you get the same problem, do you not? From the way I look at it, it is the same problem. The the bearing gives you 360 places to look and direction only gives you 8 at the most. Hence my reasoning that calling out a bearing is more accurate then calling out a direction.

IMO at close distances it doesn't matter what you use. When you get out past 100m bearing becomes much more important to use. Especially when what you are pointing out is hidden, like a sniper or HAT.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Re: Calling contacts and how to make it more accurate

I prefer to have a squad work opposite ends of the street and use pincer movements, etc so using a direction off the nearest flag or landmark works best but I agree on long distances bearings are best

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Enemy on the rooftops!
      There's a guy by the tree!
      Sniper on the ridgeline!
      There's a guy right there! Get him! No, right there! Shoot him!

^^ Example of proper calling of contact.

Usually, whether I call out bearing, direction, description, or pull out my map depends entirely on the context of the situation, for example where our squad members are spread out to.
      TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

I usually use a land mark AND a bearing, like near where the tree is in the water, the north entrance. ANd so on
        |TG-XV|CryWolf

Thanks for the sig Bandaid (look at how well made my avatar is!)

Comment

I've found that it's best to give a general heading (like "northeast" or "on top of that goddamned highrise") and then follow it up with more a more precise heading (like "245 degrees" or "THERE. No, to the LEFT. The guy who is SHOOTING AT US") at short ranges, the heading is irrelevant and landmarks/general direction is the order of the day, and at long range the compass bearings only narrow down the field of view some for your SMs... even when you're close together, you can already expect to look a few degrees left or right of the called out heading.

Comment

I just use the clock directions along with a landmark and distance if necessary.

Comment

The problem with clock directions that I can see is that it is relative to the person calling it out. To you, it may be 12 o'clock seeing as the guy is in front of you, but maybe to me it might be 3 or 4 o'clock.....

I find the best way is to call out the general direction, such as South or East. To give a better idea for my squad I usually call out South by Southeast, that way they know the general direction the enemy is coming from and can engage if appropriate. Also, which way they are heading is a HUGE point to get out, because if they are running at you full speed, you should definately let your squad know.
              Created by Sonic

Comment

Originally posted by TheChapKid View Post
                The problem with clock directions that I can see is that it is relative to the person calling it out. To you, it may be 12 o'clock seeing as the guy is in front of you, but maybe to me it might be 3 or 4 o'clock.....

I find the best way is to call out the general direction, such as South or East. To give a better idea for my squad I usually call out South by Southeast, that way they know the general direction the enemy is coming from and can engage if appropriate. Also, which way they are heading is a HUGE point to get out, because if they are running at you full speed, you should definately let your squad know.
                In my world.. 12 O'clock in a vehicle is directly in front of it, as an infantryman, I use NSEW

Comment

On your six is my attempt to get the guy to turn around and kill the guy creeping up behind him so 12 o clock would be equivalent to dead ahead imo, not really a compass direction

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                    In my world.. 12 O'clock in a vehicle is directly in front of it, as an infantryman, I use NSEW
                    I tend to use clock positions when in a vehicle as the primary indicator for the gunner, then narrow it down to degrees. Gives them a headstart on swinging the guns to the right direction.

As infantry I try to give degrees followed by general direction, and then landmarks to further clarify for the infantry that are further away. What I really need is a GPS targetting cam on my helmet. That, and a flamethrower.

Comment

I tend to use clock positions when in a vehicle as the primary indicator for the gunner, then narrow it down to degrees. Gives them a headstart on swinging the guns to the right direction.
                      I wish people would do that for me, I cant instantly visualise 249 sorry. I need to print out a big circle with degrees I think :icon_lol:

Comment

Ok, I didn't realize he was talking about vehicles..... But yea, clock directions when tanking is very useful and I wish more people would use it. For instance on a round of EJOD I was gunning in a Stryker and my driver was calling out targets by yelling, "over there" or "watch out hes looking at us!!"

Basically we didn't last too long.
                        Created by Sonic

Comment

This i my typical exclamation as soon as I spot infantry that is, ex. South.

"Enemy movement South of my position, 30-50 meters out, heading towards my position, high, permission to fire"

I'd give a 'high' or a 'low' depending on if they were on a hill/mountain/building or on flat ground.
                          Sounds like a lot to spew out, but u can get it out rather quickly. I usually don't fire until i alert the rest of my squad so we can gain the upper hand in the ensuing firefight. Works out well for me i think.
                          sigpic
                          I'm Back.

Comment

Picture alone: Im not going to do trig in game. Not nearly enough time. My whole battlefield tactics are "wing it"

~Sirsolo
                            |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

enemy movement South of my position
                              Nah I dont like it when people do that. I have to check who is talking, where they are and then finally maybe get the enemy position.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X