Aircraft realism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft realism

Taking this from the impressions thread, making it it's own.

Right now Helo's feel better than any other game I've played, maybe next to Arma and a couple others.

What I would love to see is improved damage, not just on choppers, but planes as well.

Choppers
    I'm told that in SP, the choppers start a tail-spin when the rear rotar is damaged, but not in MP. If the PR dev team manages to fix this, what would be awesome is a way to survive this.

The survivability would be very low obviously, maybe giving most of the passengers quite a lot of damage, whilst killing others. Those who survive can try to crawl out/ heal themselves others, before the chopper does explode (if damage was great enough) While spinning the screen could blur, a la suppression mode, with a loud audible warning message repeating. To me this would add a great deal of immersion from a tiny improvement (tiny in my mind, maybe not to the Devs).

Add damage to the main rotars as well, greatly reducing the pilots ability to fly (this maybe already in PR, but I haven't seen it).

Planes
    As most of you know the A-10 is a flying tank, able to land/maneuver with a good deal of the plane missing. Granted, where an Air-to-Air or Surface-to-Air missle hit determines the amount of damage, but shouldn't always completely destroy the A-10.

Maybe have the plane be damaged where maneuverability is greatly hampered, or causing the plane to have an uncontrolled dive (we've all seen this in movies).

Just my 2 cents :)

Re: Aircraft realism

I'm not sure if the BF 2 engine can support that, I think the damage for air vehicles is the same no matter where you shoot and I'm fairly certain its not possible to make the wings/engines of a plane take more damage then say the fuselage. But then again I'm not completely sure... would be cool if the PR Dev team was able to implement that.

Comment

The helo spin out in single player is not survivable - It doesnt spin out, you just can't point the nose downward, so the only way to survive is to spin. The littlebird goes psycho and spins extremely fast.... its not coded well.

Comment

Originally posted by Havok View Post
        I'm not sure if the BF 2 engine can support that, I think the damage for air vehicles is the same no matter where you shoot and I'm fairly certain its not possible to make the wings/engines of a plane take more damage then say the fuselage. But then again I'm not completely sure... would be cool if the PR Dev team was able to implement that.

Yeah, unfortunately this is true. No matter where you hit it or how hard you hit it, the disabling effect will be random. You can hit a tank in the treads all you want, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the treads will go out.
        Waldo II

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius007
          The survivability would be very low obviously, maybe giving most of the passengers quite a lot of damage, whilst killing others. Those who survive can try to crawl out/ heal themselves others, before the chopper does explode (if damage was great enough) While spinning the screen could blur, a la suppression mode, with a loud audible warning message repeating. To me this would add a great deal of immersion from a tiny improvement (tiny in my mind, maybe not to the Devs).
          There are several levels of damage, the final one (I think) being a flaming chopper that has anywhere between 5-10 seconds left before the whole thing goes up in a lovely little cooking fire. I really like the idea of adding those beeping attitude/altitude warnings, even if its not about to crash.
          Add damage to the main rotars as well, greatly reducing the pilots ability to fly (this maybe already in PR, but I haven't seen it).
          There is a damage level where the chopper seems to be working but generates 0 lift. You can throttle it all the way up and still not take off, its quite amusing to attempt to land one. I once saved an MEC transport chopper alive by "landing" it and waiting for an engineer to drive a support truck for repairs. It just depends on where you get hit.
          Planes
          As most of you know the A-10 is a flying tank, able to land/maneuver with a good deal of the plane missing. Granted, where an Air-to-Air or Surface-to-Air missle hit determines the amount of damage, but shouldn't always completely destroy the A-10.
          In the AIM-9 Sidewinder missile (and presumably its russian counterpart, the R-73(NATO: AA-11) Use a warhead that works like a fragmentation grenade, because simple explosives would require a direct hit. It throws hot shrapnel at very high speeds into the enemy aircraft, damaging hydraulics, control surfaces, and perhaps (if you drew a really short straw your squishy little pilot body) An A10's hull is strong, but not invulnerable, so a hit or two of screaming hot bits of metal ripping though critical systems will start to break things really quick. I know it was built to land with a cockpit, two drops of fuel, half an engine and a roll of duct tape, but that would make the plane supremely overpowered in PR. (The mod is 3/4 realism and 1/4 balance with engine constraint and gameplay balance)

Maybe have the plane be damaged where maneuverability is greatly hampered, or causing the plane to have an uncontrolled dive (we've all seen this in movies).
          That it does currently.

I really appreciate and sympathize with your interest and I can tell you have some good ideas churning around.
          Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
            There are several levels of damage, the final one (I think) being a flaming chopper that has anywhere between 5-10 seconds left before the whole thing goes up in a lovely little cooking fire. I really like the idea of adding those beeping attitude/altitude warnings, even if its not about to crash.
            Maybe we could have an audible warning that your helo is about to be no more.

I know it was built to land with a cockpit, two drops of fuel, half an engine and a roll of duct tape, but that would make the plane supremely overpowered in PR.
            What, isn't this Project Reality? :p lol.

I really appreciate and sympathize with your interest and I can tell you have some good ideas churning around.
            Keep 'em coming.
            Thanks, I try.

Comment

try arma if you are looking for that, or microsoft flight simulator which has ww2 or modern day air-to air combat.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                try arma if you are looking for that, or microsoft flight simulator which has ww2 or modern day air-to air combat.
                As fun as those games are, PR is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius007 View Post
                  As fun as those games are, PR is better.
                  In my unimportant opinion, you can replace the phrase "those games" with any game...and the sentence still is true.

Long live PR!
                  sigpic
                  I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius007 View Post
                    Maybe we could have an audible warning that your helo is about to be no more.
                    There is...

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarorc View Post
                      There is...
                      Really??? Maybe it just doesn't work for me, I'm having so many problems with Vista with PR. On my old Mac book Pro w/ vista none of these problems occured in PR.

Comment

I have your solution. XP. =D

Srsly, I got my comp, first thing I did, Upgrade back to XP.

~Sirsolo

Keyword: Upgrade.
                        |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post

~Sirsolo

See at the moment I'm on a pre-built gateway, which components will not work with XP :(

Also another thing I'd like to see fixed is the speed readout in the Helos. When I'm hovering it still shows me going 250-300kph, unless they meant that to be rpm, which still would be crazily inaccurate lol.

Comment

The speed readout works fine afaik. You may be confusing speed with altitude here possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post

~Sirsolo

Vista > XP if your computer can run it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse