I would love to see more Skirmish maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would love to see more Skirmish maps

Before I begin, I'd like it to be know that this isn't a "OMG CHANGE ROTATION!!1!" thread, nor is it in anyway trying to criticize the admins or our community.

That said, I think that the Skirmish-mode maps are the best I've played since my start of PR. The fact that it is centered around infantry combat in relatively close spaces means that it provides intense, yet tactical, game-play. This, combined with everything that makes .8 great, is truly an amazing experience.

Along with this, Skirmish mode basically eliminates all the fuss over assets. Instead of focusing on "Hey, i want the tank!" or "d00d get out of the a10!!", there is a sense of team-work that really isn't seen in larger maps, even on TG.

Whats more is that the maps usually last much shorter, allowing for more rounds, and thus more maps, factions, and kits, to be played. For me, and many others (I assume), sitting around a large, long map such as Quinling or Kashan can get quite tedious. While I love them, playing them straight after each other and every single day can be a "turn-off" of sorts. Should it be skirmish mode that is played more, there would be more diversity in what we play, and more "action" and "gameplay" as well.

Basically, to sum it up, I'd personally like to see us play more skirmish maps, and think it would do us well. They are quick, intense, and tactical. They allow us to play on more maps, with more kits and teams. They are also fun, which is what videogames are all about.

Please, post your opinions and thoughts on the subject matter. Thanks, and lets keep the flame-shield up.

~Cody

Re: I would love to see more Skirmish maps

In my opinion, the skirmish maps are more like vanilla BF2 in terms of play. There is no room for strategy (such as flanking, etc.) and it boils down to which team has the best kill-to-death ratio. I guess we all have our reasons why we play PR, but for me, it's definitely not for the small skirmish maps.

Comment

I do enjoy being able to play an infantry role without hiding from Helos, Tanks, and APC's..

Comment

I like skirmish but the 64 maps just make everthing come togeather in a sort of way.
        -Craz3y-

(\__/)
        (O.o ) Disposable: These [Team stacking]threads are like a woman's period: They come (> <)around once a month and during that time no one is happy. Then it goes away, the sun comes out, birds sing, and everything is cool for 3 weeks, then hell returns again.

Comment

A lot of the skirmish maps are too small for any big strategy, especially with 32 players per team, the map seems a bit filled. I enjoy the extra room of larger maps, as well as the immersion of a larger battlefield :)

| |

Comment

Cody - I think a nice compromise would be more 16p maps, which are the full maps with only infantry and trucks/jeeps. Tactical combat without the toys.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
              Cody - I think a nice compromise would be more 16p maps, which are the full maps with only infantry and trucks/jeeps. Tactical combat without the toys.
              Ding! Ding! Ding!

| |

Comment

I'd go for that. Kashan 16 is probably the most entertaining variant of that map.

Comment

you're my man, i love you now.

i also don't like the maps with tanks and other stuff that ruin an infantrymans day.

trans helos and jeeps not more..:icon14:

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

skirmish mestia isnt as good, not sure on the others

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                      I'd go for that. Kashan 16 is probably the most entertaining variant of that map.
                      I would agree. The only problem is when you get a capable BH pilot and gunner. You can really hurt the MEC if you use it correctly as opposed to the skycow. But Kashan 16 is a great version of the map.

|
                      |

|TG-X|SuperCobra

Comment

I'd like to see skirmish like maps, or maps solely with INF and no use of LAT or HAT on either, Light AT can only be used on humvee's support trucks machine gun nests etc. Though I know this is something that could only really be enforced in a PW type event.

I didn't get a chance to participate on the PW Event on Saturday, but something that did spark something in my mind was a Amphibious landing round or 2 of Barracuda.

For Example

APCs used only for Transport, and only the machine gun could be used(I.E. landing craft in WW2, Korea, and the Vietnam War) only L-AT would be allowed to use against the APCs. (Chinese APC if there is one not to be used, or only the machine gun used as a stationary gun)

Boats to be used also for transport, and the Front gun used upon the landing.

Then INF attacks, no LAT to be used on INF, no HAT used at all (transport choppers could then only drop supply crates and only one or 2 fb's could be setup for both sides. ((no manpad's or AA turrets would be allowed)
                        *even then the possibility of a huey flying over the AO with a gunner on each side shooting (like the m60's on huey transports or on ch-47's)

I.E. One FB or bunker at the start, and one in the middle. (humvees/Nanjings used at Stationary Guns)

But getting back on topic,

I enjoy The Skirmish based maps, and maps used primarily for infantry. Ramiel is a map that uses this type of idea, and it hopefully will garner more use in the map rotation, I have only played barracuda 3 times, twice as Chinese, and once as the USMC on the 16 player version.

I enjoy Kashan 16, but I kind of would like to see Kashan 16 used with only hand held AA's in place, the AA turret is a great option for a FB or Bunker, however sometimes it really takes away from the game as a whole, for example in my research of the recent, and first war in the Gulf, Allied troops were for the most part very easily inserted via Blackhawks and Hueys, not having to worry about being locked on. Sometimes I feel that the skirmish maps, as well as the Armored maps (on both sides, though the US Military has the access to AAV's and uses them in conjuction with infantry) go a little overboard with the use of AA vehicles.

I think that is why Ramiel which is a insurgent map, would make for a great Skirmish Map with the US Vs. MEC.

and in response to Supercobra's post, yes having a BH with 2 engineers (now that it is known that one engineers in a smoking BH can't really do much) and stationed in the Mini guns, can be very lethal when used correctly. I saw this perfected several times, most notably with Default Player, and saber tooth, but also with the 10th guy's on Kashan 16 right before .8 was released.

*All in all I am pleased with .8 and the new type of FPS tactical gaming that has come out of it, TG and and the PR Devs and the PR Admins have continuously done a great job and have made it a great gaming experience.
                        Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Please note the updated rotation for the week...

Comment

Please note the updated rotation for the week...
                            Has Disposable caved in?! =O

NOOOO. Instead, its quite the opposite. =P I lulz at that

Kashan 16 twice in the rotation is a little... ehh.
                            (Just an opinion, do not decapitate)

~Sirsolo
                            |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                              Kashan 16 twice in the rotation is a little... ehh.
                              - AWESOME (there - I found the word you were looking for)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X