Iron Sights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Sights

Hey guys I just posted this over @ Realitymod.com for a suggestion want to get some feed back from TG guys let me know what you think.

First I want to say I really enjoy Project Reality, and want to thank you guys for putting out a great product. I like that you guys added the 3d iron sights, I think that brings realism to the aiming and shooting. My suggestion is to take the realism one step further. When a person closes his eye to aim down the sights his perspective changes, and when they focus on the target everything else goes out of focus. I took a few screenshots from in game with the 3d iron sights up, I then edited the pictures in Photoshop. I blacked out all but an eclipse shape over the gun to represent the left eye closed, and right eye open, I left a thin transparent halo to blend it. Then I added blur to everything outside the target area. Here are my results:

[media]http://www.3extremedesigns.net/PR/ironeye.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.3extremedesigns.net/PR/ironeyep.jpg[/media]

Notice how the target and general area in the same distance is in focus, and how the gun is close to the upper left hand side of the eclipse, just as if you were aiming a real gun it would be to your upper left hand side of view. I also think that this black mass should not just appear like the old 2d/3d sights use to, I think it needs to be faded and moved in slowly as the sights line up really try to match how it looks when you close your left eye.

I recently played Brothers in Arms Hells Highway and they have a nice blur unfocused effect you guys should check out. In the future I want to make an animation or clip of the black mass fading and moving in then focusing on target, as the sights come up. Ill post that when I get around to it. Thanks for looking and reading my suggestion.

Re: Iron Sights

Tbqh, I don't like it... the black eclipse from the left eye being closed is too much and should be moved to the left and up some. And the blurring effect seems a little too overdone.

Comment

We're in a computer...we already don't have peripheral vision, so i find this quite superfluous.

Comment

I was taught to shoot with both eyes open.

Comment

I always heard proper shooting technique is to have both eyes open for a broader picture when using iron sights. I have also seen people who could use a scope with both eyes open but I never could get into that, my dominate eye just takes over anyway.

Comment

I can shoot with a scope with both eyes open up to about 200m above that it just becomes a big mess and cant hit anything. With ironsights its about the same even though I haven't shot that much with irons. And a Okita said in your thread in the PR forum you automatically focus on what is in your sights. All in all I think the current system is better.
            If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Sorry dude, but this idea is "ULTRA-LAME".....
              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Yea, I learned how to shoot with both eyes open. When you are trying to hold something like a gun, having one eye closed, and trying to focus on it; I think you would lose your balance.
                Created by Sonic

Comment

I think I can't shoot with them anyway ;-(

sigpic

Comment

The red dot sight is used with both eyes open I think thats one of its main advantages, ease of use

Depth of vision is very relevant, it'd be great to have an out of focus effect. I dont think its strictly possible on the bf2 engine but some master shader guru for FH2 got something to approximate it which looked good without any black portion on the screen but its still too subtle imo

Field of vision in bf2 is totally screwed, its about 70 degrees when with prephial vision I think humans have close to 180.

This is why walking through the jungles of OGT or the forest of fools road, its stupidly easy to walk right past an enemy. (Compensate by looking side to side while moving forward)

It should be more then 70 degrees but with varying degrees of awareness towards the edges. That would vary by the person and their physio-psychological state I guess. 110 degrees at least would be more like it imo but much less when focusing down a barrel

binocular vision, which is important for depth perception, only covers 140 degrees of the field of vision in humans; the remaining peripheral 40 degrees have no binocular vision (because of the lack of overlap in the images from either eye for those parts of the field of view)
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

We won't be seeing FH2's depth-of-field effect in PR because the devs don't like it. In RL, there are multiple ways of holding the gun: from the hip, from the shoulder, shoulder almost looking down the sights, and looking down the sights. In BF2, there are only two methods of this.

The devs won't include it because even when you have the gun up next to your face in RL, you can still move your eyes and look around.
                      Waldo II

Comment

Sure you can but it takes time to alter focus, at least as much as your ping and you would not see everything clearly at once like we do. I think it could be traded off against a small zoom when sighted only since the human eye is capable of this, near/far sight

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

The current system is fine. Any changes will just make me throw PR in the incinerator.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Another two cents:

I have to say I like the idea of perhaps doing some blur/out of focus effects on the rear of the weapon itself, but I think restricting your peripheral vision any more is a bit extreme. I honestly think the biggest problem with sighting is the inconsistencies in sight picture between various weapons. For instance, the rear sights of the G3 weapons end up being incredibly small, where as when you sight with this system in real life, you end up with a considerable view through it(disclaimer, I have sighted an actual hk with this sight system). The AK sights also seem a bit too 'distant' from the shooter's perspective, thus making them appear quite tiny. Now, I have no issue with small sight pictures, for instance the M249 SAW is right on the money imho, the L85 is brilliantly done and the m16 is quite nice too.

Anyways, just me being a bit nitpicky. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Comment

Last time I fired a gun, it was a shotgun. And I had to keep both my eyes open for accuracy.
                              |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...