COMMANDER, Where is he?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMMANDER, Where is he?

There have been discussions about the role of commander in .8.

I wanted to start some discussion on it, as I have found there are few volunteers to do it lately, and sorry to say, those that do aren’t performing very well.

1. Do you feel the role of commander in .8 has been modified to a point where they are not fun to play?

2. Do you think players feel if they do a poor job the rest of the team will give them grief?

3. Do you feel commanders give reasonable orders, based on the last few weeks of your play?

4. How often do you command, and do you do it because you like it, or because you think the team needed you at that particular point in time?

I would also encourage you to put good commanders in for an award where appropriate. I think that would help a little bit towards building a group of good commanders we can count on.

Please respond to 1 – 4 if you have an opinion.

TMAN

sigpic

Re: COMMANDER, Where is he?

1. Do you feel the role of commander in .8 has been modified to a point where they are not fun to play?

You really have to want to command and sit in a logistics screen. The latest version has made it so the Commander should never leave the base. While I feel this is a good idea, as the commander needs to be using his screen all the time, some don't like it, and prefer to command from the field. Again though, I feel they should stay in the base with the screen up anyway, but for half the players, it isn't fun anymore. Personally though, I'd rather they not command anyway if they are going to be running around the map.

2. Do you think players feel if they do a poor job the rest of the team will give them grief?

Could be. I was nervous at first, but once you do it for a while, it gets easier.

3. Do you feel commanders give reasonable orders, based on the last few weeks of your play?

Half and half, really. Some commanders like to give orders every 30 seconds. While a commander should be giving orders out to a degree, micromanaging a squad, will hinder them more then help them. Overall though, I think orders have been reasonable.

4. How often do you command, and do you do it because you like it, or because you think the team needed you at that particular point in time?

I have commanded one time in .8, but did a lot in .7 and .756. I did it because the team needed the JDAM, but stuck around and commanded for a good 45 minutes. It turned out pretty good, and was quite fun. I would do it again, because I enjoyed it.

Comment

1. Yes. Commanding now confined to the main base is not very fun imo...but others might enjoy it. I still enjoy being CO on maps with a lot of armor or air assets, helping to be that eye-in-the-sky, and close up choke points that SL's might not be seeing on the ground. Sure was more fun back in the day, tagging along with other squads while CO'ing...sometimes as an engineer sitting in an APC squad, other times as a spotter up in a mountain somewhere calling in my own artillery/air strikes.

2. No. I don't think the commander gets much grief unless he is a bone-head. Most players respect any competent commander who sacrifices his own game play & steps up to the job.

3. Usually. Not all players like to babysit flags or firebases, so I have seen more and more regular TG players are the ones building/defending than in the past.

4. I only command now when I need to eat. Sitting alone in that tiny command post isn't so bad when you are in the company of a pepperoni pizza.
      |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I can see where pizza would help. Perhaps the developers could put a pizza in every command post.
        sigpic

Comment

One of the reasons I don't command is because you have to sit at main base. I am one of those people who has to see the JDAM hit. Hitting Accept and hearing the boom isn't as fun as calling for it, and seeing APCs/infantry blow up 60 seconds later.
          Waldo II

Comment

I agree, sitting in the CP is kinda boring. It is nice to see a JDAM go off.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by O=T-M-A-N=O View Post
              No, I think the commander is now more helpful to the team and a better asset.

Depends. I've screwed up a few games while I was commander, and nobody really said anything about, just that I did my best and etc. But sometimes when I'm in a squad leaders squad, the squad leader will say the commander has no idea what he's doing and call him an idiot or something similar. This gives a bad name for the commander to anyone in the squad.

Yes.

I command maybe around once a day. I do it because I like it I guess. Usually, I make my own infantry squad depending on how many squad leaders we have. If we have some good squad leaders, I'll go command, because we don't need a lot of squads.

Comment

Yes. The only major advantage a commander provides is sometimes when the stars align on some maps you get an area attack, but not often enough to make a large difference. The commander is one less body in the fight (an argument I recall being used against pilots) and with a CO in the chair, assets take much longer to get. Logistics only have a timer when a CO is active, otherwise you can set them up as fast as you can shovel.
                Extremely so. Any mistakes can be forwarded to the commanders orders, whereas the buck stops with a bad SL order if no co is active.
                When there are commanders? Not in particular, not many COs do anything out of the ordinary tactic wise anyway, so all the CO does is give orders the SL would have given.
                I command once in a red moon, that is to say, exceedingly rare. The mind numbing boredom of sitting in that little box attempting to get people to move in a certain direction is only offset when I have food to consume, and even then I'm more apt to simply go afk or disconnect.

The commander either needs a bigger carrot or a MUCH bigger stick.

Comment

I don't mind sitting at base the whole round. The reason I don't command is because I don't feel like I have an over-all, strategic sense for any of the maps. I'd imagine I'm not alone.

As for question #1, I agree with others that the commander *should* be staring at his map screen almost the whole round. However, before .8 we had commanders driving command trucks to our troops, and I thought that was 100% within the scope of duties a commander should be allowed to perform. They should be allowed to do these kinds of logistics tasks while still being able to bring up their maps.
                  TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

No. I think I actually like staying in the command post. I dont want to go back outside. If I could change anything about CO'ing in 0.8 it would be the points. CO's scores aren't what they used to be before 0.8.

Maybe I did more than a year ago when I first PR'd, but not now. Most seem thankful that someone stepped up.

Same level as before, no change because of 0.8

Since 0.8 I've commanded 6-7 times. I was I bit nervous about the changes before I saw them, but once I did I like what I saw. I don't know if I was needed or not because each time I CO'd I did from the beginning of the round.

And what's that little pic at the bottom of your initial post Tman ???
                    Hmmmm ?? :)

|

Comment

Yes, unless squads are constantly talking with you, then it can be enjoyable.

Yes and I'm guilty of it too at times. Although if the commanders listen to suggestions from the team I'm sure people won't be as harsh.

In all honesty I haven't seen a commander in a single round that I've played, mostly because in .8 there is no purpose in being a commander. Sure you can call in off map strikes but until you can call those in more often there really is no reason to be a commander.

Never, although I may try soon. A team is a lot better if they act as one well organized unit. Also I like commanding if the squads are constantly briefing me on the situation.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'd say about one out of every 3-5 maps I play has a commander on the TG server, the ratio drops dramatically on any other server. I tried commanding once, on Kashan 32. Commanded for about 20 minutes, and in those 20 I sent maybe 6 orders to squads and spent the rest of the time relaying information from one SL to the others, about one every minute or so. It was boring, so I left. I only have a few hours a week to play PR, and I'm not going to spend them doing that, pizza or no.

Comment

Yes because you cant observe the fight except through squads

No, Except when wasting assets

Yes, Some give orders that are inreasonable because they cant view bf

Once a month. I command when i feel like it and when team needs me
                          |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

No, I do enjoy playing as CO on TG server and few others like T&T where you can find lots of teamplay and communication.

I am afraid many can feel like that. Players, very often SL's, complain in a very mean way about CO actions while they not always have a clear view on a whole battle situation and communication issues CO must deal with.

Hard to tell because usually there is no CO. Those few times I was led by CO i don't recall any unreasonable order.

I do command when I am in a mood and of course because i like to :)
                            Every time being CO I'm trying to make battles more tactical and enjoyable to all. As far i remember in 0.8 I was CO several times on very different maps but those with lots of assets are the most enjoyable.

Comment

I do command once in awhile. But not as much with the new patch. I tend to do it if im on the insurgents side usually.
                              I like to get squads to work in tandem. I assign 2 squads to work together on objectives, and have them push into an area at the same time. Their confidence is higher knowing that the other squad is there, and and they are outnumbering the enemy in that area.
                              If most of the squads are following orders, i usually point out the squad that is completely ignoring orders to the rest of the team. This sometimes gets them to work a little harder, or they leave. Im fond of publicly shaming the non team players. I will post the name of the SL or announce on all coms who is FAILING to follow orders.
                              I also openly announce that the squads ignoring orders, will recieve no help from other squads and are denied artillery assets.
                              Most important for insurgent maps, is telling everyone early on to keep vehicles on hand and build hideouts in key spots. Announce when technicals have spawned at main and such. Give waypoints or move markers to the nearest vehicles and ask squads with vehicles to pick up straglers.
                              I had great success on Ramiel once with an outstanding squad. He was pointing out enemy activity, and i would relay the coordinates with a way point to another squad who would zero in on them with the bomb car.
                              If there arent any squads listening to orders, i will drive out of main and provide taxi service, and also join the fight untill arty is available, but i usually ask if thats alright with everyone.

All in all,, i think they really need more arty availble, or something to make commanding worth it. They really gutted it on this version. Like warehouse said, Commanding is a great time to take a break and get a bite to eat. I think i too have had pizza in the command post.. tonino's and a pepsi to be exact. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X