Need Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

I have decided to start mapping for PR. Not because I want it in the mod but I wanted to make a map that appeals to the type of gameplay I like. The last couple of weeks I have been playing with the editor. Now I have found a location that I think would fit the kind of map I had in mind perfectly and I have been working on a heightmap that could be used by the editor. I have hit a problem since I haven't been able to find a program that is able to make the file that I need other then Photoshop which I do not have.

So I would like to hear if someone with Photoshop and some knowledge of how it works (more then basics) would be willing to help. It also requires a pretty decent system since when I am working on the color map my computer is using between 1.5 and 2 gigs of ram (XP). I have experienced that I ran out of memory and I have 3.5 gigs of memory and then my GFX on top.

The type of file I need is a .RAW file which is what the editor can read as a heightmap.

I am asking here instead of the PR forums because the answers I get here are usually better then the ones I get over there.

Here it is http://files.filefront.com/height+ma.../fileinfo.html

It is a 3.2 MB png file. the lighter the area the higher it is.

Thanks in advance
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Re: Need Help

I might be able to help. But, I'm kind of missing what you want help with.
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

Have you looked into Gimp? I know it is free and does just about the same stuff Photoshop does. My son knows more about it then I. I just know it does a lot.

edit- I just did a google search for raw and Gimp. It looks like Gimp will edit the raw format with the download of the right plugin.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about. I use something similar when I was mapping with WicED (World in Conflict editor).

I saved it as a RAW and it ended up being 48 mb

I am uploading to Filefront, so I will post a link here when I am done.

EDIT: As was said, Gimp is perfect for this. It's free and will do everything you need Photoshop to do for mapping. Luckily I have Photoshop though, or I would get Gimp.

Comment

Photoshop is also free. ;)
          TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Give this a shot

http://files.filefront.com/height+ma.../fileinfo.html

:)

Comment

I think something have gone wrong. So I am jjust going to give you some extra data since I forgot this the first time around.

whats wrong:

It really shouldn't look like this;)

The "size" (or whatever its called) should be 4097. "header" should be 0 and "byte order" should be IMB PC.

I haven't been able to find a program for Gimp that would open them. the ones I have found were for editing raw images like of a camera. If you have one then I would like to have it. Its an extension that you have to DL for Photoshop.

I have also uploaded a new file since I have read that you need to flip it vertically for it to end up right. file

Again thanks for the help
              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Well, I saved it with a header of 0 and size of 4097 x 4097.... but I can't find byte order anywhere. Not on the save options, image options, or anything....

So I am not totally sure what's up with that :-/

I never had to change options or anything when saving to RAW for WicED to use it, but this isn't WicED.... :)

I haven't mapped for BF2 or PR or even really tried.

Comment

as far as i remember hightmaps are never more then 1025x1025 even if the map is 4x4 km

Comment

Well that would actually make sense since its 1024x4. So I will try and size it down a bit.

then the size should probably be 1025 instead then.

Comment

Ive not made a map but this file below is your .png saved as .raw after a resize to 1024x1024

http://files.filefront.com/HeighmapP.../fileinfo.html

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Id like to learn to map but Kat lost me at heightmap.

Comment

The most annoying thing about mapping is painting your level in textures and colors.

T-paint can help, but I can't find it anywhere anymore, so I'd have to do it by hand and it takes a LONG time. Epecially in large maps. Other then that, it's straight forward. You should also get Terragen. It's a freeware program (mostly) that will give you nice heightmaps. Your size is limited to a 512 x 512 image with the free part, but photoshop was increase that for larger maps. Heh. There's a great post about it at the Realitymod.com forums by Rhino that will assist any aspiring mapper.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...t-mapping.html

Incidentally, does anyone know where to find T-Paint? :D:D:D

NOTE: You need patience. Both for downloads (the lightmap files are very large) and the learning curve. I have by no means mastered the program, as BF2 Editor takes a bit to get used to. You should make a test map to mess with so you don't mess things up. I was toying with terrain modification and made a hill so high that it went to the top of the sky in the editor. Basically 0 to 20000 feet instantly. Looked wierd. :D

And by the way.... the 1024 x 1024 size is for WicED too. I completely forgot about that. Heightmaps need to stay smaller. Why, I donno. But that should work at that size.

Comment

Fighter the heightmap is a simple thing that makes life easy. it a monochromatic image that have shades of gray from white to black. In the BF2 editor you type in a max height and then white will be that height and black will always be 0. and every gray tone in between will be interpreted as a percent of the max height.

Shadow I can't use terragen since it makes random heightmaps (as far as I have understood it) and I am basing my map on a real world location.

But yeah if you want to make a map that does not have to to look a certain way its a good tool. I have traced the heightcurves provided by google maps and also filled in the blanks where there were conflict between the height and the river that is in the above picture. somewhere the river was 40 meters above sealevel on one bank and 60 meters above on the other bank.

You can get T-paint here and it have a little intro on how to use it. coderedfox also have a tut on t-paint on the PR forums.

Thanks for the help. I think I have done something wrong with my map because it is really screwed up in the editor so I will have to go onto the pr forums to get some help.

Comment

How did you make your HeightMap image from the google earth Image??? I am currently working on a map and this would make things alot simpler.
                              ************************************************** ***************

Ok I found the heightmap in google maps of my area... How did you decide what your greyscale should be???
                              Last edited by llPANCHOll; 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X