Insurgency and Associated Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgency and Associated Tactics

Now that we have been hosting this gamemode on the server for a couple of months and we have had a chance to try out the different versions of the map. In this thread I would like to discuss what tactics people have found useful and also discussing new ideas. These discussions can be map related or siderelated. If you have found a very good start for commanding a team on a certain map please feel free to make a writeup.

I will start with a few. These are mostly for the NATO forces since I really havent found trends for playing as an insurgent and take it as it goes.

Mechanized Infantry: On maps like Basrah and Ramiel I have found mechanized infantry to be very useful. This is especially true for Basrah where I have had rounds where none of my squadmembers died and we still managed to destroy 3-5 caches. The way it should be done is moving in the outskirts of the city. In the picture below is the only area the APC never should move into.

the same applies on Ramiel. There are some areas you have to accept that there are areas where you cannot move but on the other hand you have more firepower and mobility and therefore you are able to get to newly revealed chases before the enemy and that is a huge advantage and have allowed me to eliminate many chases without resistance.

I think the APC should be in the squad and not in a squad on its own. This is because it is used as a fifth squadmember more then a transport. The squad should include 1 officer, 1 engineer, 1 medic, 1 rifleman optics (RO) and 2 crewmembers to man the APC.

Air Bourne: This squad should be 4 to 6 people and have 1 officer, 1 medic, 1 LAT, 1 RO, 1 engineer and 1 AR/RO. The two last members should come in that order if you don't have 6 members. This is not a squad that should engage in heavy fighting but instead sit at the airfield ready to move when a cache is revealed. They can move there fast and if it is lightly guarded they can take it out but they can also engage the enemy defending the chase. Once the cache is destroyed they should try and leave the area. You do not want to stay and fight.
    This is best used on a map like Archer but also have some applications on Ramiel its just harder to find a safe LZ. When the squad is not engaged they should sit at main, a good OP or be building firebases. They should always stick close to a good LZ.

Also just getting as many firebases built as possible is useful for both sides.

So that is it for now, I will ad some more later. I hope other people will share their experiences. IF you have something to share make examples of it and describe pretty detailed how it should be done. This should not be overall pointers like defend away from the cache or the likes but more specific squad tactics and procedures.
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Re: Insurgency and Associated Tactics

I would certainly love to try out the airbourne tactic, that sounds interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
      I would certainly love to try out the airbourne tactic, that sounds interesting!
      Yeah me to!

But I have a tendency to alway be on the insurgent side :(
      Talking of insurgent cant wait to hear about tactic for them when i play with them its really bad every body goes on its side and get killed no real defence tactic some game i played in they didnt even protect the caches... Well maybe i just get on bad teams or bad games.
      Pakette

Comment

Best way I have found to play an Insurgent, and it is so simple.

Ambusher:

Literally lay prone in the undergrowth and wait. I cannot tell you how many times an enemy has walked right up to me and I have put about 5 rounds into him with the SKS at close range. Take the enemy's kit, and you are good to go with a far superior weapon.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Ill try this next time!

Insurgent really needs better kit ;)
          Pakette

Comment

If you can find solid Insurgent strategies, I commend you.

Insurgents aren't effective when it comes to strategies. Instead, they are better effective as small units setting up ambushes, fast technical patrols, setting up ambushes, harassing the NATO as they move (dispersing quickly after an attack, which should consist of either a few molotovs or an IED, and a couple mags worth of 7.62x39), setting up ambushes, etc.

"Defending a cache" as an insurgent shouldn't be like defending a flag as a conventional army. They should set up certain ambushing points in the area surrounding a cache (Ex: in the slums district in Basrah, hiding on rooftops/corners, waiting for the NATO to come strolling through, or hiding in two complexes in the mud-house area waiting for the NATO to come searching, etc)
            Waldo II

Comment

Exactly.

Very well put.

As a long time player of Al-Basrah before coming over here and getting into the rest of the mod... :D

... I can say his take is perfect. If you want to stand one on one with conventional armies, you will be wasted fast. Lots of people feel they can engage at close range with their AK rifles and such and win. You can.... but you will suffer more losses then they will, and you need luck on your side. I enjoy playing the Insurgents, because it's a challenge. When yo utake the NATO guys out as one, you can really be proud and pat yourself on the back. Overcoming the weapon inadequacy is a lot of fun.

You need to ambush, harass, and generally just try and inhibit them where possible. In defense, you can defend something, but you need to use the terrain to your advantage. Don't let them see you first, or you will die very quickly. Be sure to hide, then you can trim that 6 man squad down to 4 or maybe even 3 before they realize where you are, giving your 6 man squad a much better chance of being successful.

Also.... try and draw vehicles into the city or areas with a lot of buildings. Experianced and intelligent players will stay out of these areas with vehicles unless necessary, but you can waste a tank and APCs if you draw them into your enviroment.

Kantanama's pic of Basrah is spot on. That red is a death zone for vehicles. It's ambush central with RPGs and IEDs. If you drive a vehicle in there, be prepared to wait for a new one. ;)

Am, I the only one who wants to see an Abrams on Korengal? Just so we can kill it as Insurgents? :D

Comment

The thing is that soldiers and their commanders are all taught by the same doctrine and therefore it is possible to make some educated guesses where to set up an ambush or where to make contact with the enemy to keep them under observation. I have not been able to apply this to PR because I don't think that people take the routes that would seem most likely. I know I don't even do this. So its more like have you seen certain ways people play and what is useful for countering them.
                If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
                  The thing is that soldiers and their commanders are all taught by the same doctrine and therefore it is possible to make some educated guesses where to set up an ambush or where to make contact with the enemy to keep them under observation. I have not been able to apply this to PR because I don't think that people take the routes that would seem most likely. I know I don't even do this. So its more like have you seen certain ways people play and what is useful for countering them.
                  In my experience the "most likely routes" have IEDs on them, so that makes anything else a more likely route. I think the most important thing for insurgents is not to give away the exact cache location, maybe so far as to pretend you're defending a different area.

The use of hideouts too, it seems that nobody ever builds these. Put a hideout somewhere on the opposite side from where the cache actually is, but still in range of the marker and you'd probably cause some serious confusion for any observers. Some guesswork involved, but if i'm a sniper or in a chopper and i see a ton of guys pouring out of a building my first thought is "jackpot!".

Keeping the enemy fighting after the cache is destroyed seems to be important as well. The airborne squad tactic mentioned above, assuming you could get your boys out quickly, would help to limit some of the ticket loss after a cache was destroyed.

I know nothing about insurgency mode, the above are just observations. I never played it until .8 when TG put them in the rotation (maybe a few times back in the day when it was up on TG, before being yanked due to technical difficulties).

I think posts like this would be very helpful to those of us with little or no experience in this game mode... and probably make the rounds a lot more fun. The question is, how many vets are ready to give out their secret tactics?

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                    If you can find solid Insurgent strategies, I commend you.

Resurgent Taliban 2006

Taliban tactics in Afghanistan in September 2006 would appear to have some of the hallmarks of human wave attacks, featuring massed attacks against prepared positions, with apparently little attempt to minimise casualties, and intense close-quarter fighting including bayonet charges. In the words of one source talking to The Daily Mail, "We're talking Waterloo stuff here".
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_wave_attack

At about 2 a.m. a Japanese ran to the camp gates and shouted what seemed to be a warning to the sentries. Then a Japanese bugle sounded. A sentry fired a warning shot. More sentries fired as three mobs of prisoners, shouting "Banzai", began breaking through the wire, one mob on the northern side, one on the western and one on the southern. They flung themselves across the wire with the help of blankets. They were armed with knives, baseball bats, clubs studded with nails and hooks, wire stilettos and garotting cords.[1]

Soon afterwards, most of the buildings in the Japanese compound were set on fire.

Within minutes of the start of the breakout attempt Privates Benjamin Hardy and Ralph Jones manned the No. 2 Vickers machine-gun and were firing into the first wave of escapees, but they were soon overwhelmed by the sheer weight of numbers and killed. However, Private Jones managed to remove and conceal the gun's bolt prior to his death. This rendered the gun useless, thereby preventing the prisoners from turning it against the guards.

The actions of the Japanese POWs in storming machine gun posts, armed only with improvised weapons, showed what Australian Prime Minister John Curtin later described as a "suicidal disregard of life". Nevertheless, 359 POWs escaped.
                    "Banzai" (万歳, "Banzai"?), which became a Japanese battle cry during the war, is translated literally as "Ten thousand years" but more accurately as "Long Live". Suicide charges and human-wave attacks alike were called "banzai charges" by Allied troops due to the Japanese Army's practice of shouting "Tennōheika banzai !" (天皇陛下万歳!, "Tennōheika banzai !"?), meaning "Long live the emperor!", during such charges.[2]

History

Early in the Second Sino-Japanese War, Japanese banzai charges had proven effective as an offensive infantry tactic against poorly-trained Chinese soldiers armed mostly with bolt-action rifles and hand-to-hand combat weapons. Against Allied troops armed with semi-automatic rifles and machine guns, the banzai charge proved to be costly, despite having a chance of success, and its use was largely discontinued, except as a final suicidal gesture by surrounded Japanese forces.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_charge

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X