Microphone issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone issues

Well, I don't have any mic problems BUT I just wanted to say it would be really nice that if the people that have a mic would learn to speak into them clearly, loudly, and to make sure the mic is turned up. I get so sick of when I am a driver and somebody is whispering in their mic for me to "Stop" or "Move" and I can't her a dang thing they are saying. I have my effects in my sound options turned down to 30%, my VOiP turned up to 100% and my Z-5500 speakers are then at almost halfway and still people are sounding like a mouse farting a mile away. This is not all people just a few people that do this though.
    What ticks me off though is when they whisper over VOiP and you can't hear them so you don't listen to what they have to say, you even ask again for them to repeat what they said and they still whisper across the VOiP BUT after you get killed by the enemy they can sure yell out loud and clear over the VOiP then.
    I know a bunch of you have had these problems cause I have also heard some of you asking the people to turn their mic up or to speak louder. It does get confusing as well when a gunner in a tank is yelling for the driver to stop and another gunner from the other tank is yelling for his driver to move and that is all the gunners are saying. It would make things a little easy if the people in a tank knows the other peoples names in the tank with them so they can clearly say "MS, STOP" instead of "Driver, Stop".
    Be nice if they could have more elaborate VOiP for squads consisting of vehicles so other vehicles in your squad were not over lapping one another. A vehicle chat such as ArmA has would be nice but it also be open to the Sl so he could relay messages to the other vehicles in the squad if needed. I see now why so many like having just a 3 or maybe a 4 man tank squad with only one tank operating.
    Still people with low mics or speak low would be nice if they speak up or turn their mic up and speak clearly.

Re: Microphone issues

MS couldnt agree more about people not having their mics loud enough. Far to many times has a squads coordination gone wrong because a SL or SM didnt have a clear loud mic.

I would say the best way to check ur mic, is to go to control panel, sound options, microphone settings,properties and tick the +20db boost box. Once youve done this make sure ur mic is NOT under ur desk but somewhere close to you(for people that dont have headset mic).

Last thing is, do a sound recorder test, and if u sound quiet to ur self you'll be quiet to the people you will play with. It would be nice if every one had a nice clear working mic.
    PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

In-game 'mic check' is very important, when you're forming a squad or when new members join.
      |TG-6th|Belhade
      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

My mic is quiet but it is turned all the way up. Not much I can do....

Comment

I have noticed this a lot.

No matter what you do, your mic comes in very soft for most people. I solved it by adjusting my sound settings like you did:

Effects: 35%
          Music: 30%
          Mic: 100%

You will need to adjust other programs such as Teamspeak down to compensate for the increased volume. Run TS at about 70% volume and you are good to go.

This works for me. I was always having problems hearing my squad, and I still do sometimes. The in-game VOIP is not the best in the world, but it works just enough when you edit it like this.

People said my mic was coming in soft, so I adjusted my mic to be right in front of my mouth. Works fine now. BF2 VOIP has a hard time picking up your voice no matter what mic you are using. You have to speak directly into it unlike programs such as TS which don't distort your sound much if at all.

I think it has to do with the voice codec that the game uses, but I donno.

Comment

9 times out of 10, its a improperly configured sound device. A few tips:
            -Be sure to install manufacturer's sound drivers, even if windows has one for your device.
            -Turn on Mic Boost
            -Makes sure your system is setup as a Microphone input, not a stereo input.

Comment

Also make sure your computer have a "mic in" plug not just a "line in" the "line in" plug does NOT give power to your mic so it will not work.
              Pakette

Comment

I'm using a Gigabyte P35-DS3L board, which has a Realtek HD sound device built in. It's nice, as the programming lets you select what the device is from a list once you plug it in. It's idiot proof, as all 6 plugs have default settings, but once you plug something in, you can change it to suit what the device is from the menu that automatically comes up.

Comment

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 MB but have never used my onboard audio. I use my Creative XtremeGamer card with the latest drivers. Everything is set correctly so I know it is NOT my sound card. I can hear some people fine and others are just like a whisper. thing is with my sound card for some strange reason it will not let me make any adjustments to PR in the audio options for the VOiP mic and speakers. They are all the way up to 100% anyway but mic boost box is not checked, mic boost is on in the audio properties of the sound card though. Only time I have had a person complain about me being to low was when I was sitting back to far or they had issues on their end. Reason why I know it was on their end was other squad mates said they could hear me fine.

I also can understand about people that have a spouse that is sleeping in the same room or a room real close and don't want to disturb them. That can be overlooked :).

I still think it would be best sometimes to have a 3 or 4 man tank squad and then team up with another tank squad. I know it may be hard to understand what the other squad is doing but it would create less confusion as well. I get tired of hearing the "Driver stop" and have no idea what tank they are referring to. Names would solve this problem but also noticed sometimes when a person is speaking over VOiP their name does not appear onscreen, especially when more than one is trying to yell over one another.

Comment

No matter what you do, your mic comes in very soft for most people. I solved it by adjusting my sound settings like you did:

Effects: 35%
                    Music: 30%
                    Mic: 100%
                    If you do that to hear the quiet player, doesn't that mean that the guy who is screaming will make you deaf instantly? Or is there some kind of volume balancing working?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone View Post
                      If you do that to hear the quiet player, doesn't that mean that the guy who is screaming will make you deaf instantly? Or is there some kind of volume balancing working?
                      No, you go deaf instantly. Been there quite a few times. reason why I wish they had a balancing of some kind for the screamers. still that is the best way I have found to hear most people and sound effects around me as well. having the Z-5500 speakers which are 5.1 helps out a lot as well with the sound effects, not for the VOiP though. It had took me some time to get a balance set just right for the majority of the VOiP speakers that are clear and loud and sound effects though.

Comment

If you are not instantly letting this person know that they are far too soft, then YOU are the one with the problem. Usually, they say "sorry, hold on, is that better now?" and it's fixed. It happens this way 90% of the time, every time.

Made from real panther.
                        TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Simple Solution

When Joining a squad...

"Mic Check... Pancho Here!"

then the SL can reply..

"Copy Pancho, you are 5x5"

volume x clarity
                          1 being the lowest 5 being the highest..

5x5 is loud and clear

This is something I did everytime I joined a squad for a while, (during a period of intermittant mic problems) and I suppose it would be a good habbit to get back into.

If people do this everytime they join a squad, then people will be able to recieve input on their mic volume, and others hearing this will adopt the procedure.

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
                          In-game 'mic check' is very important, when you're forming a squad or when new members join.
                          Belhade beat me to it, but I used color, font size, bold and Italics... ;)

Comment

You can make mention to some people their mic is to low and they don't know how to adjust it or just don't want to. That is the real reason I even made this post cause the person that was gunning for me was in one of those categories til I didn't hear him tell me to stop. Then I heard him start whining clearly about me not stopping. Even the SL told him he came across real low, so low he didn't hear him at all but I heard something, just not clearly. If you read I asked him to repeat what he said and IF he did I didn't hear him at all the second time.
                            Yeah, most people usually will try to turn their mic up or even ask how to but some are bullheaded and aren't worried about it. Those are usually the ones that are new to PR or just don't care about teamwork at all IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone View Post
                              That's when you ask them politely if they can turn down their outbound. I normally ask 2-3 times before I break out the mute.

As for sound settings... make sure mic boost is on in your system control panel if you're too quiet. Checking the box in the BF2 client... as far as I can tell... enables the mic boost in your system but then doesn't show as checked anymore after you back out and look again. Ventrilo for sure, and I think I also remember TS having an issue where they uncheck the mic boost when run in conjunction with BF2. This could just be me, but it happens almost everytime with ventrilo. TS causes all kinds of issues for my BF2 install so I don't use it anymore, but it seems like it used to cause some similiar mic issues.

And 30% music?? Do you guys really leave the music on? I have mine down to 0. 30-35 on effects works well for me and I leave it at 100 for voiceover. I can't tell ya how many times I've said something to the squad and had someone say "I can't hear you while we're in this truck."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X