Minefields, or lack of.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minefields, or lack of.

Personnally I think that the mines in PR are set up unrealisticly. And when you get a minefield set up you have to stay alive for in to do any good. First off mines are currently used in a more offensive manor than defensive i.e. dropping mines under enemy vehicles. They are either used as a replacemant for C4 or a booby trap. Not often do I see players setting up minefields in the first place.

What do you guys think about this?

Here is a thread on the PR forums about this topic.
    http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-...tml#post834768

, , or

Re: Minefields, or lack of.

How long do mines last in PR after you die?
    TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

I have read this post and others like it in the past and i have to say i would love to see it implemented, with the input of the army engineers the idea is being developed well on the PR site and i hope we see something like the suggested comander assets in the future. However, in leave of that, the idea of Fake mine marker and other such markers that the whole team could see is a brilliant one. Even modifying the current marker so that the enemy could see it gives you the ability to lay fake mines, i.e. get your mine out, place a marker, then lay the mine somehwere else, this idea really appeals to me as it would restrict the movement of armour alot more, allowing infantry to provide a more integral part in the fight, while the ehavy vehicles defend supply routes and the like.
      EDIT @ Laguna, AFAIK its 10 minutes

Comment

What about modifying the engineer repair truck and having a right-click from the driver deploy a mine (and mark it). Maybe give it up to 10 mines (or 8 I guess) to deploy before requiring re-arming. Activation time would be 1 minute or more from deployment to keep a truck from trying to circle a tank or something and trapping it inside the circle. Max of 8 mines at one time per vehicle.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

This may be a bad solution, but I am currrently trying my hand at mapping. I am thinking of designating a minefield or two, because my map takes place along the Chinese border. My way of keeping it realistic is to deny entry to it through the use of mine fences, which are fixed statics.

While they will not actually kill a vehicle if it drives over it, the area will be blocked off so that vehhicle cannot enter, creating an area denial effect. In addition, I will line it with razor wire so infantry cannot enter.

I think this is about as good as it is going to get in the current state of things to make actual "mine" fields intended to block off an area.

But you are talking about laying them out on the map, and I am not surewhere I stand on this. While I agree with the idea, I fear the evil vBF2 mine spamming effect. :(

Comment

Most of the time I have seen them placed defensively(not in enemy territory) it results in multiple tks even when marked and TYPED OUT REPEATEDLY IN CAPS.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by FFLaguna View Post
              How long do mines last in PR after you die?
              Something like 12 minutes I think..

Comment

I think mines are totally underplayed / not played up enough in the current mod. Mines are functioning great, but the fact they cannot be counted on after you die is not cool.

I think mines are mines. You place them, they stay. They don't care who runs over them.

I would love to see the engineer kit get more power from mines. It would also be great if the engineer could independently place some limited assets, like a small sandbag and/or a wire here or there. That would be really cool.

I understand there are development issues with everything, it would be nice to see the engineer be more useful in the battlefield in PR. It seems the medic got all the plus-effects in this round of the mod.

TMAN
                sigpic

Comment

Engineers are feeling a bit rough these days... from my perspective anyway. But taking the c4 away from engineers was a brilliant move.

In general mines are bad. While they can deny the enemy access, they also cut off friendly traffic. Or worse, they TK a valued asset. There is no way around this that I can see because you will always have John Rambo not paying attention to anything else and driving right over them. Even regular players do this on occassion, when things are really hot or they just travelled that road without seeing a mine and suddently there is one in the way.

Without having the ability to delegate the laying of said mines up to a responsible party (commander), I think anything you do to make this come true would be countered by the ill-effects it could introduce to the game.

The example of laying a full field of mines that stick around even after the player dies... or presumably disconnects... could be abused like crazy without proper controls.

The engineer car was interesting, but I'd probably kill myself trying to make a mine field. I would however vote for it carrying two ammo crates (or one supply crate) any day of the week.

I love playing engineer, but an engineer without wheels is almost worthless in .8 it seems. Unless of course there's a bridge to repair, which takes like 20 minutes of solid wrenching. Maybe the kit just needs a sixpack of budweiser to level the playing field.

Comment

2 or 3 people near supply crates can make a huge fricking mine field to deny most roads and at least one approach to a defensive point. For example, bridge on that map jabal, i made a mine field down the road last night that was good, took me 6 min to make it (cuz the crate was 200 meter away) but with a jeep + crates 2 people could dish out 16 mines in like 5 min, and those 16 mines can cover a lot of ground.

My question has always been, if you switch kits after laying mines do they dissappear?
                    listen close
                    to the rat-tat-tat-
                    as the metal flies,
                    we should know as fact:
                    that unearthly demons
                    are part of our pack,
                    and as we engage you
                    in battle we pass.

Comment

The BF2 mine as a whole is terrible. It's the size of a dinner plate and as thick as a full-sized dictionary. They can only be placed on top of a surface, and they're always black. This makes them visible from quite a distance. I've NEVER been blown up by a mine and not see it before I hit it.

Most people hit mines because they don't react soon enough for the speed that they are traveling, not because they didn't know it was there.
                      *=IMA=*2wiSteD

Comment

Mines have always been one of my best weapons in the past. Sometimes when I get bored of SL'ing an infantry Squad, I will make a small 3 man Mine squad and set up a Supply dump in a central location. From there, I will task each person to mine certain areas and some "Diversionary" mine fields. This will adversely affect your team.

One perfect Example was on Qwai River. BiggaayAl, Bosco, and myself were USMC and we set ourselves on the PLA side of the river. From there I tasked Al to Mine the south Bridge while me and Bosco took care of the rest of the roads. We took down several enemy tanks, a CO truck full of troops and one friendly TOW HUMVEE. All this without being seen or shot. We basically manipulated where their armor and APC's would go. In doing so, we were in contact with the TOW guys, letting them know where they were staging armor.
                        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I have seem some awesome minefields setup on Fools road and Qwai river. Imagine for a second though if mines remained indefinately after your death. What you will probably get is people regularly spawning as engineer, dropping the mine, then switching to grab another kit. That is going to mean alot of mines spread all over the shop (therefore more likely more TKs for one...).

The developers intention might be that mines can only effective when you concentrate on that role, stay out of sight (and therefore alive!).

Comment

Bad thing about mines is that anyone joining the server after the round has started WILL NOT SEE ANY MINES ON THE GROUND.

So all those times you joined the server, hoped in a vehicle and started driving and then just blew up for no reason, was probably due to an invisible mine that you couldnt see because you joined the server after it was placed.

For this reason, and also concerns about lag and server crashes, there MUST be a decay timer on land mines once a player died, or there would be 100's of mines everywhere, and could very likely crash the server due to networkable limits.

That being said, mines DO NOT decay when an engineer stays alive. He has a limit of 8 mines he can deploy (will be 10 in v0.85). If he dies, it takes the mines 10 MINUTES to decay, which is plenty of time to redeploy those mines as long as that position has not been over run.

That is a huge difference from vanilla. In vanilla, mines decay 5 minutes after you place them EVEN IF YOUR STILL ALIVE. As soon as you die, the mine will disappear in 15 SECONDS. So its not nearly as bad as vanilla.

As for the current mines not being used, your right not many players realize you can use them effectively. However all it takes is a little teamwork. I frequently get a 4-5 man squad on fools road (all sappers), drive a truck to a good chokepoint, deploy a firebase, then start laying mines. 5 engineers x 8 mines placed = 40 mines, this is easy to do and will effectively completely deny access to the road.

Comment

Ironically enough, we had this happen on Jabel last night after I read this.

Our SL wanted to mine a position on the dam, so 4 of us came in as Engineers and setup through coordination, a fairly effective mined position that was intended to deny the Vodniks harassing us the ability to cross the dam.

It worked. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X