Driving Vehicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Vehicles

All to frequently the following dialogue takes place.
    Squad Leader: "Who wants to drive?"
    Squad Member 1: "I'll gun!"
    Squad Member 2: "I'm gunning!"
    Squad Member 3: "I want to gun!"
    Probably the most unwanted role currently in PR next to is Driving, Whether its a Humvee or an APC it seems like nobody volunteers to drive. And when someone is forced to drive they either leave the squad, drive horribly, or make another squad. Driving is more important than gunning. Not only does the driver get more points but he is responsable for every occupant of his vehicle. I want to hear "I'll drive!" more often. Players of PR I challenge you to take on the responsibility of driving, whether its an FAV or a MBT. Even if you think not shooting something is fun your the most important and powerful person in YOUR vehicle.
    Here are some tips for the rookie driver.

=Common Hazards=

-Roadside Obstructions-
    Hitting a tree or small rock causes light damage to your vehicle and may make you get stuck or roll over, also leaves you vulnerable to anything the enemy can throw at you.

-Rough Terrain-
    Some terrain can cause damage to your vehicle and lead to your untimely demise. Most vehicles cannot swim. The vehicles most likely to be killed by rough terrain are Civillian Cars and FAVs. When in doubt stay on the road.

-Rollovers-
    Rollovers are caused mainly by terrain features that include unleveled terrain or in some cases sharp turns. Vehicles most likely to turn over are the Support Trucks and the BRDMs. Though ALL vehicles can roll over, even tanks.

-Landmines-
    These round items explode when you drive on them. The easiest way to not get killed by a mine is to avoid them friendly or not. SOME LANDMINES ARE INVISIBLE! If you join a server after a landmine has been set that landmine will be invisible to you.

-Something that can kill you.-
    In PR there is a vehicle food chain: Unarmed Vehicles<Armed Jeeps<APCs<MBTs
    L-AT and H-AT are designed with you in mind. If you see someone pointing a long cylindrically shaped tube at you, either drive away or kill them. The faster you drive the harder you are to hit. GLTDs will guide a bomb or missile right on you if you are lazed. The best you can do is run and hope that the Frogfoot overhead wont find you or get under cover. JDAMs are bad for any vehicle in the blast radius. There is not much you can do about them except don't make yourself a tempting enough target to spend an hour of waiting on.

=Ground Vehicle Spawn Times=
    20 Minutes
    * Tanks
    * Mobile AT Vehicles
    * APCs with AT capability
    10 Minutes
    * APCs
    * Armed Jeeps
    * Light Recon Vehicles
    * 50cal Technicals
    5 Minutes
    * Unarmed Supply Trucks

Hints:
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS HAVE A GUNNER!
    The faster you drive the higher chance wont get killed by AT.
    What does APC stand for?
    You (normally) cant kill a tank with an IFV or APC.
    British IFVs and APCs are not amphibious. Strykers are not either.
    Use SHIFT key to go faster in light and medium vehicles.
    If your driving a tank left click to see what happens.
    Some maps have landbridges that cannot be destroyed.
    Some vehicles may deploy ammo or smoke. Deployed by Right Clicking.
    Zoom with the "X" key.
    Support trucks can look back with "C" key.
    Don't drink and drive.
    And last but not least: READ THE MANUAL!

, , or

Re: Driving Vehicles

I don't see why people don't want to drive HMMVWs. They are probably the coolest thing you can drive in PR, save for the dirtbike.
    Waldo II

Comment

I LOVE driving

a Helicopter...... :D

Good post.

Comment

All the skill is in the driving, main point I think is not to go full throttle all the time

[media]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVC1N6rHd0[/media]

[media]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=juPOtF9TKhQ[/media]
        :row__682:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I love driving, often i get frustrated stuck in the gunners seat. p.s if you dont roll a co truck at least once every round u are cheating :)
          |TG-Irr| Aus-trooper

Comment

Most of the time, I don't want my squaddies to drive. I value my life too much. I've never actually seen someone leave a squad for being asked to drive.

One of the problems with driving is that it's always 'your fault' if the car flips or hits a mine or gets blown to pieces by AT. Regardless of the situation, it's easy for everyone to take out their frustration on the driver. I rarely see this, if ever, in squads with experienced players, but pubbies get mad and yell. Everyone should just take a step back and realize that there is an enemy out there, working as hard as he can to end you.

On that note: if you feel that the guy you just forced into the driver seat isn't doing a good enough job, step up and see how well you do. (rofl)

Originally posted by AREM117
            Support trucks can look back with "C" key.
            I drive CO trucks all of the time for my frequent ENGISUPPLY squads, but I never knew that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Comment

Oh shoot. Here's the perfect time where I link to pwnage's Marine TOW video and everyone sees how cool it is to get to drive. Especially when the thing you're driving is packing a tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided missile. :)

But... Vimeo no longer hosts gaming videos.(I hope you get that video uploaded on WeGame pwnage!)

More seriously however, driving can be a whole lot of fun, and alot of responsibility can come with the role (not that it's a hard or bad thing).

And with the absence of my would-be video example, I'll just leave a screenshot:

| |

Comment

Originally posted by eekozoid View Post
                Most of the time, I don't want my squaddies to drive. I value my life too much. I've never actually seen someone leave a squad for being asked to drive.

One of the problems with driving is that it's always 'your fault' if the car flips or hits a mine or gets blown to pieces by AT. Regardless of the situation, it's easy for everyone to take out their frustration on the driver. I rarely see this, if ever, in squads with experienced players, but pubbies get mad and yell. Everyone should just take a step back and realize that there is an enemy out there, working as hard as he can to end you.

On that note: if you feel that the guy you just forced into the driver seat isn't doing a good enough job, step up and see how well you do. (rofl)

I drive CO trucks all of the time for my frequent ENGISUPPLY squads, but I never knew that. Thanks for mentioning it.
                It's only the militia/chinese/mec CO trucks.

Comment

I have this weird curse that follows me.... Everytime I drive, I always get THE most ignorant gunner possible. I can be calling out a target to the exact pixel, and they will always miss or not shoot at all. Mind you guys, this is with VOIP and all I can hear, I don't see him (Surprisingly I get this most often when its a large desert/plain in front of us.) I do like driving, but not when my gunner is visually handicapped.

Yes, I know that the driver has a slightly higher zoom, but these are always targets in plain sight. I have even been in an instance where my gunner missed twice (at less than 400m), and the enemy tank still did not see us. Missed a third time, by which the tank started shooting us and I immediately got tracked/killed.
                  Created by Sonic

Comment

I heart driving.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Namebot's a great driver for sure. I had the distinct honor of gunning for him on Fools Road in the APCs today and he's one of the best drivers I've gunned for. :D

And yes, I enjoy gunning, but I don't mind driving. The Warriors are a bit springy for my taste, in that they stop on a dime and that can throw you off. But all in all, driving is not something people should be avoiding like a bad disease.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow85 View Post
                        Namebot's a great driver for sure. I had the distinct honor of gunning for him on Fools Road in the APCs today and he's one of the best drivers I've gunned for. :D

And yes, I enjoy gunning, but I don't mind driving. The Warriors are a bit springy for my taste, in that they stop on a dime and that can throw you off. But all in all, driving is not something people should be avoiding like a bad disease.

That was a fun round today! I also love driving, if you see my Kashan squad it most likely will be a Humvee/Bradley convoy, Humvee leading, then another behind the first, then a Bradley with another squad in it at the back.

Comment

I will drive anything I can get my hands on. simple because I like scaring the guys in the back:)

It is fun to drive and its most fun to drive light vehicles and the CO truck.
                          If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

iDrive
                            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Have to say, driving is a skill, which i lack i reckon. But i can gun with the best of the BUT only when i have an equally awesome driver. Exhibit A: Cougar, probably the best driver i have seen in the game. I have racked up some crazy kills because of his great manouveraility with a tank, think Quinling 2 days ago, KDR:55.1, or Fools last night, when we were parking Scimitars inside the warehouse and dodging tanks!

Gunning is great, and requires skill for the tricky snap or leading shots, but driving is where its at, too many times i have seen drivers expose side or real armour in a tank battle, or stop where they can see, but my turret cant!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X