Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tactical Gamer Primer

The three principles TG was founded upon:

1) Create an environment conducive for mature gamers to enjoy the games they play without the everyday interference from the less-than-mature gamers.

2) Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...er-primer.html

I just felt it was a good time for a reminder.

|

Re: The Tactical Gamer Primer

^Bump^
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
      The three principles TG was founded upon:

1) Create an environment conducive for mature gamers to enjoy the games they play without the everyday interference from the less-than-mature gamers.

2) Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...er-primer.html

I just felt it was a good time for a reminder.
      Creedo to live by.
      sigpic

Comment

bump

Comment

I think alot of TG community members should ask themselves if they take that third principle into account when playing on the TG server. Its a powerful principle and one that I think should be encouraged more often.

Comment

I think the 3rd rule should be heavily enforced, more so than it has been. I am not suggesting at all that the admins have been laxed on this subject, nor do i want it to be suggested that this is what i am saying, they have been doing a great job, but its the community which has to really recognize what all the rules state, and do their part to help enforce these rules.

Which from my own personal viewpoint hasn't been done and I will be the first to admit that I haven't been doing my all to help ensure that all of these rules are enforced. (i am not talking about admins)
            Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM. Reason: oops on my part.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Is there anyway we can have this sticked?
              Announcement: *** Required Reading for all Tactical Gamer Members - Apophis

READ FIRST before posting in this forum - asch

Right? ;)

|
              |

Comment

i did read it, i guess i read it and didn't realize it was the primer.........my mistake....oops....
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                  I think alot of TG community members should ask themselves if they take that third principle into account when playing on the TG server. Its a powerful principle and one that I think should be encouraged more often.
                  Absolutely Fuzz !

|

Comment

I'm having more fun now than ever because of rule #3, and while this is going to sound kinda retarded, it's true...I find myself playing PR now more like some twisted kind of role playing game where I can live out a fantasy of being in the Army since I never had the balls to enlist.
                    2 years ago I was playing this game only caring about my kill death ratios, whoring vehicles, and my score. Now when I'm playing, the only thing going through my mind is completing my squad objective and keeping my squad members alive. The little things like squad mates screwing around not following orders, not protecting vehicles, firing randomly, etc, really piss me off... but every now and then I get a perfect squad together...5 guys that really play the mod the way it is intended to be played and who understand the game and that, to me, is what makes this game so rewarding to play.

I understand that everyone plays this mod for different reasons, but some of you casual players might try taking this game "too seriously" for a few rounds. Forget about stats, forget about score, and try asking yourself 2 simple questions: what is my squad's objective, and what can I do individually to contribute to our team's success? I think you can find this game offers one of the best gaming experiences of any FPS available.
                    Last edited by thegreatnardini; 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM.
                    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I like your idea warehouse! Often i see us jump in a truck and drive like crazy into dangerous territory to get to the flag before the enemy and hope we don't get taken out underway. Is that realistic? Nope. In real life you would bring more guns, use time, intel, backup and clear the area block by block first right.

And yeah how about removing the scoreboard altogether :)

Comment

The third point is indeed ignored so many times. Personally I find it extremely difficult to put it to practice.

Over the past months I have started to write many threads and posts about this subject only to cancel them as I thought "what is the use?". Who am I to enforce 5 people to play in a certain way only to find that they do not want to or are not able to? Am I myself not competent enough, shouldn't I just keep practising SLing casually more before going serious?

I stumbled upon Tactical Gamer perhaps 2 years ago. In the month May this year I looked for a new game to play, remembered TG and downloaded PR to expect mature tactical gameplay. I am now still looking for consistent serious tactical play. And ironically I am wishing for a community standard/rules of play/group being set up so that I can join the TG server look for squad names or create a squad myself and know that the players in that squad are eager to play serious.

I cannot quite understand why this is so hard, after all, I have joined the Premier Tactical Gamer community for mature gamers. Does the majority of the TG server visitors fall into the casual gamer group? Is PR not (yet) suited for serious gameplay? Am I expecting too much? Is serious gameplay like role playing and only suited for a small group of people? Or do the serious players simply play in different timezones?

Help me out please.

Comment

hey fishbone! these types of players are out there, just depends what time of day you join the server and what your luck is joining squads... some squads are more "serious" than others, but its really fun when you find that kind of squad that suits your style of play..

heres few vids to demonstrate that yes, people can play in a "serious" tone and have fun doing it :)

Light Infantry: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDL1WCnZJ0[/media]

Air Cavalry Infantry: [media]http://vimeo.com/1739672[/media]

Mechanized Infantry: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFWFNHZFbU[/media]

Comment

Fuzzhead, I have seen the videos, I have the stories about 1stMIP. I know it exists, it just happens so rarely. You added "" around serious. It's just a guess, but I think you mean that serious gameplay does not mean being serious and not joking, but is more about simulating reality.

"Support game play in a near-simulation environment." is a rule. During the times I play that is carried out as: no base-raping, bunny-hopping, single-manning assets and sticking together as a squad. That is basically just covering a few exploits and has little to do with a near-simulation environment. In my opinion TG is not carrying out its mission well enough.

Does TG want to be the biggest server, or be the server where people play tactically in a serious mature way? There are plenty of other servers where people can play casually. Yet it seems in my very humble opinion that TG has grown from a group of like-minded people into a group of friends where having fun has priority over rule 3. Playing like you are hanging out with friends can get you very far in the game.

Rule 3 is not needed to win the game. Rule 3 is not used to kick players. Rule 3 is not the easiest way to fun. Why is there Rule 3, how important is it, how does the comminity value it, and is the community/administration willing to make it count again?

Comment

I want to know if under this rule 3 does it justify me reporting individuals who are one manning assets such as a tank/apc/attack helo? I want clarification since the other day I noticed on Qwai River a tank squad being lead by a person sporting a TG tag with a tank being one manned, I asked him why aren't you reporting your fellow squad member, you sport the TG tag thus meaning you should be upholding the values of TG. I don't remember what response I got from that person in particular, but a IHS member told me that one manning assets wasn't a big deal, even though I countered with Rule 3 argument in return, to have it only fall on deaf hears. So I want to know if my view is right, as I see one manning an asset a direct breach of rule 3 in the tactical gamer.
                              sigpic
                              Pride/Shame of the PLA

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...