This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prejudice against younger players

This is a topic that has been alluded to in the past but never fully addressed. Now, I have noticed over my time at TG, people are too quick to judge younger players. Many times have I seen people hear a player's voice and laugh behind their back, or hear the voice of their squad leader and leave the squad before even knowing that SL's plans. It's un-acceptable. If you are that shallow to hear someone’s voice and believe the youth is a "bad" and "inexperienced" player, you need to take a pause and think what you’re doing. I'm guilty of it and for it I regret. But, I have grown to realize it’s not the tone of your voice that determines anything. Sure, I realize you may find someone's voice annoying, but if you’re not showing them respect you may want to re-read our primer.

"2) Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby."
    Mutual Respect...

Even regulars lack this at times...

We all slip up from time to time, but when you are leaving someone's squad because of their voice, or not following orders because you think this kid is a joke, you have to remember to treat everyone equally. Ofcourse, some people just don't match. Its human nature to have people you like and people you dislike. I'm just asking you to think about the reason's why you may disrespect a player.

Some younger players may suprise you with thier quick thinking and strategic minds. Most can even be more mature and disciplined than some adult players.

I have experienced this first hand, and know how it feels to know no one takes you serious. It makes you feel unsure about your abilities as a Squad Leader or Commander. I still take the odd bit of it. But, it has pretty much gone away, for me that is.

Sure, I understand some people just like to joke around, and its fine as long as you know your not offending anyone. Just watch what you say, because it may upset the person it was directed at.

Please, before you act negatively on another : THINK
    Is it for the right reasons?

If need be this thread can be locked, I just needed to remind and adress some players who have let this slip their minds.
    |TG|
    ||||

Re: Prejudice against younger players

Good sentiment.

Comment

whats the rating of the game again 16+ or is it 18+? Just curious i'm too lazy too look up the esrb ratings, some younger players handle themselves well others don't. Maybe some guys who are adults don't want to have a SL who is 2x younger than they are.....

One Scenario that I went through with a younger SL: If a younger player was on TS or in game and starting complaining or talking trash or putting down players, id leave that squad in a heartbeat, and let the proper people know....And I haven't been in a squad with that person since.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

The game may be rated 16+ but that doesn't mean we don't have younger players. We have language rules not just because it's obnoxious but also for the younger players that venture into our servers every day. Respect should be shown to anyone period, I don't care if you are 13 or 63 you should be treated fairly and respectfully.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
          whats the rating of the game again 16+ or is it 18+? Just curious i'm too lazy too look up the esrb ratings, some younger players handle themselves well others don't. Maybe some guys who are adults don't want to have a SL who is 2x younger than they are.....
          Randy, he's not asking you to change your preference of younger players. He's just asking for the same respect you should be showing everybody.

In response to your scenario, that "younger SL" could just have easily been someone your age, or even older, right? If you don't believe me, replace 'younger' with 'older'.

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart*
          One Scenario that I went through with a younger SL: If a younger player was on TS or in game and starting complaining or talking trash or putting down players, id leave that squad in a heartbeat, and let the proper people know....And I haven't been in a squad with that person since.

| |

Comment

ESRB Ratings dont matter. Age doesnt matter. None of that crap does.
            What counts at TG is maturity and your ability to carry yourself properly. I dont care if you're 5 or 50, if you do your job, maintain the proper levels of respect, maturity and gameplay, you'll have my respect. I give it freely. But as I said in the chain of command thread, my BS tolerance is low. I expect nothing but the best from people on the TG server, regardless of age or any other inconsequential status.

Do what you're supposed to do and act like youre supposed to act and you'll find that I'm a really nice guy. I'll bend over backwards to help you out. But cross that line and you'll have the full brunt of my disdain, and from that hell there are very few people who have ever clawed their way back up.

Comment

The only time I'll have a problem with a younger player is if the player is either excessively talking into the microphone and has a high pitch voice and wont quiet up even after being asked more than twice or if the younger player is immature or stupid and shoots at anything that moves including grass blades and swaying trees no matter if they think they have a confirmed hostile target or not. Younger players tend to be just as much of teamkillers as new players I find. (Not nescesarily on PR but other games thats usually the case)

You cant tell which players are young or not when they don't have a microphone (besides constant spelling errors).
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by fenian420
                excessively talking... high pitch voice... immature or stupid... shoots at anything that moves... teamkillers... constant spelling errors
                1. That sounds exactly like the kind of prejudice (in the form of stereotyping) that this thread hopes to end.
                2. Aside from the high pitch voice, I've encountered more older players who do those things than younger players.

Okay, so younger people may be less experienced and a little more high strung, but I've seen them to be more creative and open minded, which counts for a lot on the battlefield, especially in unanticipated situations.

Bottom line: base your opinions on who the person is and what they do rather than what predefined category they fall into.

I ain't got no problems with them young hwipper snappers long as they stay off mah lawn!

Comment

Oh dear....
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

imho the younger players label is just a nice way of saying people who dont agree with the TG company line 100 percent.

to quote something that was directed at me and quite funny since im 23 and have had my own places for over 3 years and worked since 16.

"this is what is wrong with America today, kids are brought up today in a world where they automatically feel they have earned respect, and with that they automatically feel that they are entitled to things, and don't have to show respect or even listen to those who are older than them or who are in charge."

due to not agreeing with the TG company line, im "whats wrong with america".

Comment

One thing is 16. Another is 12. Yet another is 8. I will not play with an eight-year-old squadleader, that's just how it is. Not a twelve-year-old for that matter.
                      But in the game it's not the voice that matter, it's the words. And no way a kid like that can speak what i want to hear.
                      Other then that fact i will not disrespect him/her, but i want to choose whom i game with. Let boys play with boys.

Comment

Good point. Age doesn't matter. Nationality and weird accents doesn't matter. Maturity, respect, fun and chain of command does.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                          The game may be rated 16+ but that doesn't mean we don't have younger players. We have language rules not just because it's obnoxious but also for the younger players that venture into our servers every day. Respect should be shown to anyone period, I don't care if you are 13 or 63 you should be treated fairly and respectfully.
                          Originally posted by Superfast View Post
                          Good point. Age doesn't matter. Nationality and weird accents doesn't matter. Maturity, respect, fun and chain of command does.
                          These are the points I was trying to get at...

Just to show a bit more tolerance and respsect.

Nationality and accents go along with this. I've seen some people even dis-respect another for his accent. I know it may be difficult, as there could be a language barrier. But, just show him respect and treat him fairly. It is what TG is all about!
                          |TG|
                          ||||

Comment

Can't we all just get along? Let's hug it out.

Sonic I wasn't trying to undermine you in anyway or form.

Marine I know for a fact the player was under 18 but It isn't important.

Also I'm the one quoted in viper's post.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

My gut tells me that this thread has run it's course and what was needed to be said was said. Let's just remember to treat others how we ourselves would like to be treated and it will all be good.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X