Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunker Use: How to place assets

Hello TG

I would like to poll squad leaders to see how you view assets created from a firebase or bunker are best used:

I would ask for votes ranging from:

Keep it close, wire that thing in and bunker down

to

Lets build the bunker over here and (200m later) lets build a 50cal implacement.

TMAN
    On top of it: 15 meters is too far
    4.84%
    Medium Spread: 50m arrangement of AA and 50cal and sandbags
    32.26%
    Broad front: some assets around bunker, but strategic placement of others within 200m
    51.61%
    All Out: build bunker, place assets way far away = 200 meters away
    11.29%
    sigpic

Re: Bunker Use: How to place assets

Broad front.

I build where it makes the most sense at the time. Traditionally, defenses built close to the bunker don't necessarily work very well. You just need to keep in mind where the prime defensive locations are and where it makes most sense to build the FOB to help defend the territory. Also, it depends if the FOB is to be used for primarily defense or are you using it as a spawn for an offensive. If it is the latter, you will probably not build any assets with it to minimize risk of detection.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

It depends on how I am playing, as well as the map. I like having the FOB in a safe place, and that usually means away from the action. I use my rally point up close and prefer the FOB for backup spawns. I'll place .50's and other deployable assets around where I am planning on defending, most likely the flag.

As Disposable said if I am using it offensively I won't usually place assets, with the exception of AA just in case.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

It would also be good for folks to post your prefered bunker plan.
        sigpic

Comment

I find that sometimes, placing wire and .50 close to the fb is a dead giveaway. If the fb isnt visible dont make it visible by placing wire next to it.

Comment

For wire its good to just plop them down in known choke points, just to disrupt the flow of infantry. However when it comes to MG, I like to see them placed (as well as have placed them) in places where I think they get the maximum benefit (usually not near the bunkers themselves). For example of fools road, I like to place them ontop of the buildings of hilltop estate. You can make the main entrance road a killing zone with good mg emplacements. Well you can really make any place a good killing zone as long as you get someone to man it that knows to hold their fire until they can actually score kills thus to remove the chance of early discovery.
            sigpic
            Pride/Shame of the PLA

Comment

• unbelievably situational.
              • certain squads i've been in have dominated with all types of spreads.
              • to think inside the box is foolish.

Comment

Like Coronado said, it's entirely situational. Depends on the area and the objective.

| |

Comment

It really depends for me. I admit I have a very bad habit of wanting to put as much wire around as possible. Who knows when that five seconds that it takes for someone to crawl under razorwire will save your firebase or not.

I also like to put assets in as useful spots around as possible within 200 meters. Not just doorways, but places like on top of the Kashan bunkers (blocking the bathrooms or upper hallway if you do it correctly) or on narrow roads, blocking vehicles. Recently I was Chinese on Qwai, and the US had a constant stream of troops crossing the southern bridge. My squad pushed the back to the bridge, smoked the bridge up beautifully, and I dropped razor wire in front of the bridge, blocking infantry, nearly stopped the attack.

I also have a compulsion to put up both .50s every time. On the Qwai round, I also put a .50 behind the wire, for both easy destruction of the wire and easy mowing-down of the US Army. Roads are also good places to put .50s, especially on Militia maps, gets rid of a technical fast.
                  Waldo II

Comment

I don't think that any experienced squad leader could answer that poll using the options provided. All are valid in their own right. Where and how you deploy FOB's and their associated assets depends entirely on each unique situation.

Comment

From a developers standpoint, the Bunker/Firebase is meant to be placed in a secluded/protected area, and the 50cals, sandbags and razorwire is meant to be placed well away from that bunker, in places you would find them useful. Thats why you get 200 meter range from a bunker to place assets.

I still see very often players placing wire and 50cals in haphazard position directly on or near the FO, most of the time it doesnt make sense at all to do so but its done anyways. I contribute this to past applications of the assets which were much more restrictive in their placement.

I hope talking about it in this thread and over time players gradually shift their tactics to make the deployable assets much more useful.

Also I hope in upcoming versions we can make the deployables far more useful, protected and effective so players DESIRE these assets strongly when defending, like they would desire jets/tanks/etc..

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                        Also I hope in upcoming versions we can make the deployables far more useful, protected and effective so players DESIRE these assets strongly when defending, like they would desire jets/tanks/etc..
                        Right, like for instance, in .8, if I'm in a deployable .50cal, I am pretty exposed with no way of seeking cover without abandoning the weapon system itself. As opposed to a HMMWV, where I have the ability to duck and avoid fire until one of my squad mates has identified the hostile shooting at us.

| |

Comment

It depends on the situation:
                          • Fool's Road - Hilltop Estate, Qwai - Government Office: bunker inside, assets place to block off and guard entrances.
                          • Kashan: all the flags & most usefull FOP locations are so in the open it does not make sense to place the assets far away. Good place for razor wire is to block off the entrances towards the bunker areas. You can place FOPs hidden in the mountains surrounding the bunkers. I only place sandbags there if we are engaging the enemy from that position. They will hide your silhouette.
                          • Urban environments: hide the FOP and use the 200 m radius to block streets with razor wire.
                          • Jabal E beach: FOP inside the compound, sandbags on the small hills surrounding the flag to have a good overview and cover. Razorwire to block entrances.
                          • Jabal Bridge: semi-hide FOP in the hills W of it. Use sandbags for cover on the dominating hilltops.
                          • Qwai, Mestia; hide FOP and use the assets on strategic points that you intend to defend such as cross-roads or dominating hills. Check the distance towards those points before setting the FOP.

In general:
                          • Use multiple razorwire on the same spot with alternating pole positions to completely block vehicles.
                          • If there is no purpose for an asset, do not place it.
                          • Always check distances with other FOPs before dropping boxes.
                          • Insurgent hide-outs have a much greater tendency to jump around while placing. Be careful when placing them as I tried to place them hidden behind a building only to have them spawn on the other side of the building in the middle of the road.
                          • Sometimes it works very well to have the FOP known to the enemy as they will attract to it like moths to a light.

A few questions:
                          How long does it take for a sandbag or HMG to disintegrate if you do not shovel it?
                          What are the requirements for FOPs/assets to settle when spawning them? Slope of the ground, radius of area without objects?
                          Last edited by Fishbone; 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM.

Comment

When you face north & place a bunker , which direction does the truck spawn on and entrance appear

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

South
                              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed