Vanila or POE or PR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanila or POE or PR?

I've just reinstalled BF2 (w/ all the trimmings) and I'm think of joining the modded crowd. P.R. looks cool, but I couldn't really tell with the POE variations theme was. I've been playing 2142 (and I'm getting tired of the maps) for the last year or two, and BF2 and Spec Force before that. Any thoughts?

cross posted to POE
    "We the unwilling,
    lead by the unknowing,
    have done so much with so little for so long
    we can now do anything with nothing."

Re: Vanila or POE or PR?

Well, I certainly hope your not looking for an unbiased opinion in the PR section of the forums but ill do my best:

PR is a realistic mod which offers a wide range of playing styles and encourages lots of combined arms coordination. The weapons are more deadly but harder to get used to, there are suppression animations so things like covering fire and good squad discipline are important and, if used properly, deadly. The satisfaction of seeing who you killed displayed in the corner is gone and there is more of a focus on winning the round for your side rather than getting a high score. Vehicles like Tanks and Choppers must be manned with a teammate and require communication and coordination to be most effective. Players on the TG server are respectful, teamoriented and seem to enjoy winning the round more than getting a big score. The satisfaction of blowing up a tank or taking out a few infantry is much greater in PR than in any other game ive ever played. The over all gameplay is slower and it is not uncommon for a round of Kashan (an open, multi-asset map) to last upwards of 3 hours.

POE is, in my opinion, what Vanilla should have been. The game play is just as fast as Vanilla but the weapons are more deadly, ie they do more damage. Vehicles can still be single manned. The people that play POE tend to be a bit more mature b/c there is no ranking system and its all about having fun, not getting points. The downside of POE however is that as of late there havent been as many people playing and the TG server doesnt seem to ever be full.

Comment

Pr 4 life!!!!(more like until bf3 gets out but anyway....)

i never tried Poe2, i have played poe on bfvietnam and its was nice, im sure its great on bf2 too, but since i tried pr i cant play anymore mods( i played Fh2 for a like 1 months, its also good but not enough teamplay required)

vanilla is fun if you only play with your friends.

in my opinion Pr is the best mod out there for teamplay,tactics and realism.

the first thing youll notice in game is the sound, its incredible!( you gotta set it to very high or high) its takes sometimes to get use to the gameplay but there is the manual to help you out.

my longest kill in pr is over 800 meters with an m16 scoped( i had kills over 1500 meters but with the gunship.

if you have the computer to run Pr at high graphics i suggest you try it out, you will be surprised
      sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
        The downside of POE however is that as of late there havent been as many people playing and the TG server doesnt seem to ever be full.
        Just a little added note here: The TG PR server, however, is consistently populated 24/7.
        sigpic
        I'm Back.

Comment

AIX2 is action packed as well as battlefield pirates.
          EOD just needs mor players on.

Comment

I can't really speak for PoE because I haven't messed with it in a couple of years. PR is like the "thinking man's FPS". Generally the battle progresses much slower than vanilla, and the mod pretty much forces teamplay or death.

I don't know how many of you are old farts like me and remember Tribes, but the deployment of assets by squad leaders reminds me a little bit of setting up defense in CTF tribes (specifically the shifter mod... vanilla was a little cheesy) as an engineer. There's a big difference in what you deploy however, as there are no automated laser turrets and automated AA rockets. Everything you place needs to be manned to shoot. I think the biggest reason it reminds me of shifter is because every SL has his own approach to defending an objective, and the placement of sandbags and other things that normally wouldn't seem like a big deal can really lock down an area when used properly. When faced with the task of assaulting those manned defenses, you have to figure out where things are and come up with a plan of attack to bring it all down. Sometimes that's incredibly easy, and other times it can be a very difficult task.

I guess the bottom line is, if you're looking for teamplay and tactics PR requires both to be successful. If you're looking for a go kill as many guys as you can before you die then respawn and instantly get back into the action FPS, PR is not for you. It does happen, but not all the time.

Comment

PR's great, PoE's awesome. For a stepping stone, I recommend PoE to develop tactics with people who understand newbies. (not saying PR doesn't, just PoE is a bit more friendly in that area). If you already know most tactics and consider yourself to be Napoleon Bonaparte, go ahead with PR.

Comment

POE is much more like Vanilla: fast paced, lots of the tactics are similar, similar gameplay. Very easy to get used to. While I haven't played it in quite a while, to me it seems just like Vanilla, only better in that it doesn't have as many horrible bugs or cheaters, and it is prettier with a lot more (cooler) weapons.

PR is almost nothing like POE or Vanilla. Completely teamplay oriented. On POE or VBF2 servers, teamplay can be very rare. In PR, it is teamplay or miserable failure (It just isn't fun at all if you aren't using teamwork, in my mind). Tons of changes. The primary goal in the PR Devs' minds was a teamwork-oriented atmosphere. Second, reality. Plenty of changes. For example...

At least two people to man a tank. One for operating the gun, one for driving. Same with APCs.

Vehicles have long respawn times. 20 minutes for a plane, 5-10 for a Humvee/Vodnik, 5 for a transport helicopter, 20 for attack helicopter, 15 for a tank, etc.

Respawn times for the player are longer to promote value of life. Usually at least 30 seconds. Up to five minutes.

Weapons have deviation. You cannot just run around at full speed firing from the hip and expect your bullets to land exactly where you want to. Deviation represents combat stress, suppression, steadying your rifle, among other things.

Rally points. These represent reinforcements. Squad leaders, with an officer kit (explained below, kit systems), can set a rally point. A small collision-free model (looks like a bunch of backpacks) is placed on the ground, and your squad can spawn off it. No other squad can. You can request regular squad kits (You cannot get a sniper rifle or Stinger from a mere bunch of backpacks) from it, it is used as a grouping point.

Limited kits. Your kit screen features several standard, unlimited kits (Engineer, rifleman, officer (only for squad leaders), and medic). There are also tons of extra kits. You go up to a kit-request station (back of an APC, a rally point, main base, bunker, firebase), go to the T commo rose, and in the big circle it says "request kit." Right click it, and it brings up a menu of kits (such as Special Operations, Sniper, Marksman, Heavy Anti-Tank, light Anti-Tank, Anti Air, support, grenadier, officer, yadda yadda). Select the kit you want, and if it is available (there is a kit pool; only 2 special operations kit on the battlefield at a time, for example.), the kit will appear at your feet. Press G, and you are good.
                Waldo II

Comment

Originally posted by WDT_Alpha_s9 View Post
                  I can't really speak for PoE because I haven't messed with it in a couple of years. PR is like the "thinking man's FPS". Generally the battle progresses much slower than vanilla, and the mod pretty much forces teamplay or death...
                  Sold! The thinking mans FPS! I am one of those individuals who can't play twitch based FPS games, due to a personal lack of twitch. I'm installing now.
                  "We the unwilling,
                  lead by the unknowing,
                  have done so much with so little for so long
                  we can now do anything with nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by McKee View Post
                    Sold! The thinking mans FPS! I am one of those individuals who can't play twitch based FPS games, due to a personal lack of twitch. I'm installing now.
                    The main thing to remember is there is a HUGE learning curve. The first few weeks I played this mod I generally had no idea what was going on in most situations. Situational awareness will be your best friend in PR.

In other words, make sure you give it some time before you make a final decision. It can be hit or miss depending on what kind of squad you end up in, and the quality of the servers you play. After a couple of weeks you should be able to see which squad leaders know what they're doing and which ones seem to fumble around a lot. Stick with the ones that get results and you'll learn more and more each time you play.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Comment

Read the manual before you play - it will help a lot.

Best advice I can give you: Don't take a sniper kit until you've played PR for 6 months. That way people will think you know what you're doing right away. Biggest sign of a newbie PR player: he takes a sniper kit without asking and is soon being packed into a body bag. Instead, run a normal rifleman, stick with your squad leader, and be happy shoveling.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                        and be happy shoveling.
                        Of course, when I was new I only shoveled because you tricked me into thinking there was a cake at the bottom of every firebase.

I never got any cake.

| |

Comment

Install both! If you are coming from 2142 then POE will feel more at home. PR is a different game entirely. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Try them out and keep what you like.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

I like both.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Just finished a game of PR that lasted 200 mins, over 3 hours for just one map

The two cant be compared anymore really. POE is an arcade game and PR is more strategy based, if you dont like that aspect you wouldnt like it at all imo because it is slower overall

PR is a RTS you can play in first person, until they bring out a patch for fps mode in world in conflict it wont be beaten

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X