A Fate Worse Than Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fate Worse Than Death

I have just left left the server while the rest of the team continues on in Operation Barracuda. I was playing on the US side, and though I am in fact leaving because I have other matters to attend to, I wanted to make this post first.

It seems to have become a popular US strategy of late to simply amass FOB's on the island and engage the enemy in defensive warfare when he comes to attack our positions. The last two times I played on Barracuda the US team did not make a single attempt on their first flag; in one case Docks, in the other case Bridge.

I understand the reason for the strategy: by fighting the PLA in a defensive action in more defensible terrain it is easier to whittle away his tickets and take the victory. This is made possible because there is no bleed on Barracuda. However I cannot help but feel like this goes against the spirit of the game. The game mode is AAS. The objective is to secure the island, not merely shoot the enemy until they are all dead. To me, the way the game is being played is essentially a Team Deathmatch format, and it was to escape those kinds of games that I started playing PR.

With respect, I don't know if the team I was playing with just now went on to cap the flags or not. And even if they didn't, the scores seemed to indicate they were on the road to victory when I left. I respect that there may be something "tactical" in setting up FOBs and not simply rushing blindly into a beachhead battle that turns into a meat grinder.

However if your sole objective is to win by tickets and not take the flags, then why bother with FOB's at all? Just send one or two squads onto the island and have them spot for CAS; keep losses at a minimum and enemy deaths high. I know I might have ruffled a few feathers with this post, but that is just how I feel about the situation. The Developers designed a great map and a great game mode with Barracuda, and maybe the first flag is tough to cap, but I don't think that makes it ok to simply not try.

DJ

Re: A Fate Worse Than Death

I see where you're coming from. I too have witnessed this a bunch of times. I stand on the middle of the fence on this topic. Although it does take away from the AAS style gameplay this mode should have. The tactics and coordination invovled remain the same. You still need to coordinate to keep those FB's up and your rallies alive. But, I absolutely agree it should't turn into a TDM, most kills win frag fest.
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

It should be noted that the squad Disco and I were in seemed to take the brunt of the "waiting game". I personally did not die once in the first 2 hours of the round (indeed, most of the credit for that is due to Disco and his awesome healan skillz; I died about 15 minutes after he left), and had the same kit for an hour. I was personally enjoying it, but that's because I was already somewhat distracted. We'd occasionally get straggling infantry contacts here and there, but nothing worth mention. In short, we sat at a firebase for two hours waiting for the attack that never came.

Comment

I know what you are saying, BUT the squad I was in was great, we done our own job great, and although we attacked the other half of the map, it was a resounding victory, they couldn't get close! Surely the devs didn't give the US bleed for that exact reason, so they can establish themselves on the island.

Comment

Why is it in a team's best interests to throw themselves at a flag like Docks, sort of like waves against a breaker? The objective is to win, and if the first flag is impenetrable, then why waste tickets and assure the other team of an easy win? With the first flag usually being Docks or Bridge (essentially the same flag), defense is easy. Pour 31 players into the flag cap radius and wait. Even if you do achieve some type of numerical advantage, you still need a 2:1 ratio to move the flag. If the PLA is down to 15 defenders left in the cap, you still need 30 USMC to move the flag.

Once this map has two simultaneous attacks to start the round then you'll see the USMC strategy change. Until then, expect a lot more of the same, at least from teams that are trying to win with tactics and strategy and not zerg rushes.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

IT's up to china to hold position then...
            listen close
            to the rat-tat-tat-
            as the metal flies,
            we should know as fact:
            that unearthly demons
            are part of our pack,
            and as we engage you
            in battle we pass.

Comment

"We'd occasionally get straggling infantry contacts here and there, but nothing worth mention. In short, we sat at a firebase for two hours waiting for the attack that never came."

This to me is a required possibility in order to make the game funner..
              the chance for this must exist upon many levels.
              listen close
              to the rat-tat-tat-
              as the metal flies,
              we should know as fact:
              that unearthly demons
              are part of our pack,
              and as we engage you
              in battle we pass.

Comment

Nice tripple post! ;)

But in all honesty, ive never played Barricuda on US, and from Chinas end, it is quite boring. I walked around the map for probably 20 min without seeing any US. Except the hueys with the gun runs. Was kind of boring, but like disposable said, expect more of the same because of the way the flag caps are arranged.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I have this same complaint from a few days ago. From USMC side, our first goal was either Docks or Bridge so we set up a pair of firebases on the airstrip and slowly moved across the island, but never made it past the Storage in the middle. That feels almost like a waste of a round to me...
                  |TG-6th|Belhade
                  "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Pretty sure the CPs will be changed in v0.85 to have 2 at start so the chinese defenses are divided. Also there won't be that many trucks, specially at forward spawns.

Anyways, although it's not the best looking tactic, you are killing the enemy that is trying to clear the island.

On another note, I never liked CPs in general, the way you are forced to go to a radius like that. So I don't actually mind the strategy of setting up a position in the island and actually defending the position you created. That's the idea behind Command & Control, the players define the "control points". I know this map is not C&C, but I enjoy anything that removes that need to rush. Same with Insurgency.
                    sigpic

Comment

I was sl on 8 which was defending the north end of the strip. Our squad got 15 kills in and we directed some Airstrikes, which essentially stopped a MAJOR assault torwards our FB also took out a fb, not too shabby. Chinese must have been sort of scared after that, because later doing recon I ran into 2 squads, which retreated to never be seen again when they heard hueys.

For one reason or the other one squad is stuck with a lot of IDLE, like defending a flag that sees few assault, this time it was us.

But I must also say, that docks or bridge is not untakable. The problem is squads trickle in one by one. If like 2 squads set up in the north and the rest flanks from the west it can be taken easily, if they move in toegether. And as you move in, rallies get overrun and when the enemy bunker is down, its basically mopping up time. Problem are squadleaders that rush for the flag as soon as the rally is up. if 6 move in and then another 6 and then another 6 of course they get taken out facing 80% of the opposing team, but with some coordination it can be done. But yah the best tactic was the one the CO gave out.
                      And do not let us forget its down to the enemy as well. Deploying setting up 2 or 3 firebases waiting for humvees to spawn so we have a decent chance, then we move out, maybe takes 30 min. If they dont want to allow us to set up, then tough the battle happens elsewhere, we are entrenched they in the open and we call CAS on them after having them pinned if they do allow us to set up we come for the flag if thats where they entrench themselfs.

I just want to remind everyone that despite the complaining all members including the one who opened the thread followed orders and showed great initiative, which made it possible to hold the firebase, direct airstrikes and fight off surprise attacks.

All in all I really like the map, probably one of the best new maps with a lot of structures lil secrets and good looking. Boredom defending can happen on many maps, like sitting it out guarding Bunker on Kashan. Other times you are in the thick of the action calling in huey runs 40 M from you, or grappling up cliffs to enter a cave.
                      Last edited by Golgo13; 11-26-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The map doesn't seem to be playing out the way it was intended to. Are there any adjustments we can make to change this or remove it from the rotation?
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If it is tactically sound to go ahead and build fobs around your enemy and slowly provoke and prod them into battle what is wrong with that? Its a good tactic and sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Its only tye more reason for the chinese to build ar other spawn points. Think of the map from a tactical pov thats how i look at each map. Flags on certain maps make sense but you always have to have an ace in your pocket.

The chinese are the home team on his map its thwir cuance to thwart the us invaders.

Then again ivalso saw some pwople complain on sunday pw day event when about how there were 22 people on tue us and 21 on ramiel.

No one is ever happy. No matter what.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                          Level I HazMat Technician
                          NYS EMT-B
                          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Fyi im responding from my iphone hence the misspellings.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                              Why is it in a team's best interests to throw themselves at a flag like Docks, sort of like waves against a breaker? The objective is to win, and if the first flag is impenetrable, then why waste tickets and assure the other team of an easy win? With the first flag usually being Docks or Bridge (essentially the same flag), defense is easy. Pour 31 players into the flag cap radius and wait. Even if you do achieve some type of numerical advantage, you still need a 2:1 ratio to move the flag. If the PLA is down to 15 defenders left in the cap, you still need 30 USMC to move the flag.

Once this map has two simultaneous attacks to start the round then you'll see the USMC strategy change. Until then, expect a lot more of the same, at least from teams that are trying to win with tactics and strategy and not zerg rushes.
                              Just to be clear disposable, I am not advocating a zerg rush, or throwing waves of tickets into an unbeatable objective. In fact I think it is a perfectly sound strategy to set up on the West Side of the island first, as it is the most logical landing zone for US forces. What I object to is that, once you have set up your positions, you do nothing. There is no reason that you cannot then attack Docks or Bridge once you have positions on the Island west side. Its not impossible to attack, and when you DO take it, you'll be in a superb position to immediately take the remaining flags.

That said, I also agree with you that having two initial flags would make for a more balanced map overall.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X