I'd rather see the sights than play the game!: A vote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather see the sights than play the game!: A vote

PR 0.8 has some spectacular maps and effects. Of course many games are meant to give you that realistic feel but you never would have thought about the realistic scenery.

Sometimes during the game I'll take a look at the land which surrounds me. And most of it is simply awesome and spectacular.
    And even sometimes I'll find a favourite spot, and just sit there, looking around and seeing the sights.
    Try Fools Road for example, the sun in the background with trees and forests. Just amazing.
    The lighting on some maps as well blows me away. Just awesome, nothing more, nothing less.

The other great item about PR is the music, absolutely fantastic music that I really love to hum along to during the loading sequence.
    Nothing better than some music before you head into battle, I reckon the fools road/mestia and militia music is the best. I wish I had them saved somewhere so I could listen forever and ever.

So I want your replies to be something like this, telling me which map is your favourite, what makes it your favourite (something about the scenery) and which music you like best during the loading sequence of a map. Also which is your least favourite map:

Fav Map:
    What makes it your Fav Map:
    Fav Music:
    Least Fav Map:

Cheers, I'd really like to know what people think so I can take a proper look at some maps you may recommend and also have a listen to some of the great music!
    Last edited by Berlancic; 12-04-2008, 02:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to delete something!

sigpic

Re: I'd rather see the sights than play the game!: A vote

The view on Barracuda from low ground mid map out toward the Bridge flag is quite nice. A large hill with lots of trees, a waterfall to the side, and a marsh, all set over a sunset backdrop.

I don't much listen to the music. Map loads are best spent getting a drink or "disposing of" the last one.

My favorite music would be the original menu track from Battlefield 1942, which, I believe, was used in one or more early versions of PR.

Aesthetically speaking, Kashan Desert is very bland. Part of that is because I've played it so many times, but it's also barren and open with very little scenery. The colors are drab and the terrain geometry is very visible, making it seem much less realistic than maps with foliage to cover up the individual polygons.

Comment

I like the land bridge in Ghost Train with the hopping frogs and sound effects - very cool.

I also think the trash pile flies in Ramiel are interesting, but not so nice to stand in trash and fight.
      sigpic

Comment

i just love the snowy mountain in korengal! its friggin sweet, as well as the rest of the map!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Ditto on the snowy mountainds on Korengal, by far my favourite part of my favourite map. Hopefully the dev team can come up with some Afghanistan mountain stronghold type maps with snow etc. I know the BF2 engine doesn't do hills/slopes and climbing very well but anything along those lines would be great. I agree kashan is just so featureless and bland with so much dead ground, for infantry it's really all about the bunkers. Would also like to see if the next desert/Iraq style map could encompas more wadi's and area of cover so that you could actually use those dead areas effectively. Just seems a huge waste of real estate if you're not flying/tanking.

Comment

Sometimes I have gone into empty servers just to explore the map. This obviously has a tactical and strategic reason behind it (knowing the layout of the battlefield is key to fighting successfully), but it was fun to just walk around and hear the sounds. I love Ghost Train. There are some great little places there to just chill out.

Comment

Muttrah is my favorite map. Floating around the cargo docks in a R.I.B. reminds me of fishing in Charleston S.C. -too bad the engi kit doesn't have a fishing pole!
              Last edited by w.WAREHOUSE; 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM.
              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Barracuda, definetly Barracuda. That sunset and scenery is awsome!

I like EJOD loading music

I hate Quinling with a burning passion
                |TG|
                ||||

Comment

Kashan 16.

Because it is pure infantry, though I have to admit it does become centralised or ensures satalites about flags, I believe it is a 'widescreen map' that carries tempo and allows tactics to play out in sweeping and majestic Vodniks. Or ya walking. Plays out loosely though alot of the time with people usually going by number crunching. Still sweet though. I do agree about Konegal and this is by far the most crisp in design and a benchmark of different environments to put in a game. What looses it for me is maybe the opposite of Kashans' 'fault' - is it is too convoluted. However with this in consideration and its obvious good design,as an aside, I'd actually like to see the map played as an AAS. I think though the Devs are definately on the right tracks with future maps.

Al Basrah because it is Aphex Twin. Quinling (old music) I believe was something like Black Dog or our mate AFX (I keep slipping on that one). I'm glad for the shout out to the UK's early 90's donation to electronic (Trance/Ambient/Jungle, so Drum and Bass and so on and on, oh and House) music, which quite frankly blew the scene and these guys are major in having their hands on the detonator. All the rubbish and not, worldwide, is highly influenced from these forerunning babybirthers. To be honest in my opinion that makes one utterly cool Dev to plonk that on. I collect such tunes from that era and bash on about why it is cool at every opportunity :P Besides, alot of this and their peers are still played or copied, and still the best in this genre.

Operation Archer. Slow. And fustrating. For me, I just can't get into it because of the mindless walking as insurgent. Needs a rethink, as I believe it has alot of potential.
                  Last edited by Taip3n; 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Kashan is by far the most beautiful map.. Nothing but a desert looks like a desert....

Comment

I love when we have Kashan 64 with aircraft, and a A-10 sweeps in with the Avenger 30mm Gatling gun blazing. Seeing that raze enemy positions is AWESOME.
                      I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance. -Socrates

Comment

I like Kashan too. And you actually do have them saved somewhere in the PR files. I took a couple of songs from the PoE2 files. Ill try to find em.
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Fav Map: Kashan 32. Not for scenery though.
                          What makes it your Fav Map: My fav map scenery wise is Korengal Valley.
                          Fav Music: Bi Ming's. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!
                          Least Fav Map: Hmmm either Quinling (any size), (did they take Hills out of this version?), or Assault on Mestia/Bi Ming. (same difference to me).
                          Last edited by Fighter; 12-05-2008, 06:23 PM. Reason: if to is

Comment

There are some really nice glades and meadows on Fool's Road, it has a very peaceful atmosphere...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X