What would you want in a map?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you want in a map?

Hey, hugh here maybe you've seen me around the PR forums or maybe even the server. But I'm here to ask the good old question, what do you want in a map? List 5-10 things (as spacific as you want or as general), make sure to use current maps as examples to make things clear.

Lets hear em
    Hainan South - 4x4km Urban map - USMC v China - Map Download
    http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f354-community-maps/58089-map-hainan-east-4km-wip.html

Re: What would you want in a map?

- lots of grass (or rice paddies), so we can sneak around - like in tad sea
    - some overwatch positions that are not flags - to get an idea of what the enemy has sneaking around the map (like the hills SE and SW of Hilltop on Fools Road)
    - some choke points / bottle necks - (H3 hill pass and south road at Fools Road)
    - some hidden and bumpy alternatives for the bottle necks
    - different settings all over the map, eg. urban area for cqc but also wide areas for tanks to battle (Kashan (bunkers = cqc, rest = wide), Qwai)

that what just came into my mind when i read ur post - hope it gets considered ;)

Comment

I'm not sure, but

- Korengal valley, Jabal Al Burj, Muttrah City, Kashan Desert and most of the other PR maps currently being run on the server contains them all

- having fun on the battlefield, the "TG way"

'Not How Many But Where'

Comment

A map 3-4x the size of Kashan with a huge draw distance.
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

-Multi-level battles - In korengal you have lots of cliffs and stuff to make the battle more than just flatness. This can be done with buildings, terrain, whatever. Also like the dam area on Jabal

Comment

Good question:
            • Different types of combat and terrain for each flag, similar to Qwai, where each flag is unique.
            • Large map size, such as Kashan, Fools or QinLing, where the opportunity for real maneuver and flanking exists.
            • A variety of assets available, but not asset overload (QinLing). Perhaps different assets per layer, like Kashan, to change the game play slightly for each layer.
            • If it is an AAS map, a flag sequence that makes sense logically and tactically.

Factions and overall theme don't really matter too much. If the map is visually appealing and is balanced somehow it will be fun to play.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarorc View Post
              -Multi-level battles - In korengal you have lots of cliffs and stuff to make the battle more than just flatness. This can be done with buildings, terrain, whatever. Also like the dam area on Jabal
              I agree with Kelvaroc, playing Korengal yesterday for the first time was the most fun I have ever had on a PR map even though we lost (US). The terrain, buildings, and the amount of tactics that can go into that map are unbelievable. The views are also beautiful. The only downside to these maps are that on even on the high end computers some FPS drop spikes occur in the high undergrowth vegetation areas (at least on my 8800GT that is). Also Fools Road is great with the elevation and trees.

Comment

nitrous mode on the humvees, buried treasure, auto kick for 5 minutes for anyone complaining about teamstacking, auto kick for 5-10 mins for any player who joins a squad to obtain a kit and then leaves, and a nice shiny gold star on my in game uniform.

** - Note the only ones that matter are the auto kicks. i'm not a coder, nor a developer, nor do i have any skill in creating models, and i have given some feedback and trust the Dev's judgement.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Lots of building-interior fighting for infantry
                  BRIGHT visuals, like Muttrah, Fools, or Qwai, not dull like Kashan or kufrah.
                  4km+
                  decent amount of water
                  Some helis
                  NO tanks; APCs/AAVs only.
                  Short of no tanks: max 2 tanks each side
                  two flags at once in center (like N/S bunker in kash, Train/hilltop on fools)
                  Last edited by Riffraffselbow; 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

In my dreams?
                    16km night and day versions of a desert or alpine map.
                    A 64 asset version with the works, Fighter-Bombers, tanks, AAVs, FAVs/DPVs, trucks.
                    A 32 version with less tanks, attack and transport helicopters and a different flag layout than the 64 version.
                    A 16 light version with APCs, trucks, and a different flag layout from the 64 and 32 versions.
                    A nice blue sky, aircraft ceiling on 10,000 feet (cloud levels at 1000 and 5000 feet), decent runways, mountains, perhaps a large lake or ocean border, a small forest, a few cities.
                    A skirmish version based in one of the cities or forests (or both).

Realistically? I wouldn't mind a larger version of Muttrah, give the MEC a small helicopter airbase or something. Mountain+well done city is absolutely great.

Comment

Hedge rows! And corn fields!

Comment

A map set in a trainyard with moving trains or like in diehard 4, some combo of subway and giant water pipe system with trucks like the jabal dam but connected up to other flags

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

hey hughjass, i remember u very well, i think we've had the honor?

anyways, waht i would like to have
                          --
                          -
                          -

-
                          -
                          -
                          -

-
                          -

FASTROPEZ!!!!!!

on the serious side, i love the snowy part on korengal, so an alpine infantry map with snow would be seriously rocking(literally, lol)

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Snow map would throw the camo off though

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

1) 2km^2 minimum.
                              2) Balanced.
                              3) No tanks.
                              4) No planes.
                              5) No helicopter gunships.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse