No announcement yet.

I can write, I can say, but I can't do!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can write, I can say, but I can't do!

I've read the SOP's people, I've read guides. Go onto www.realitymod.com and go into the forums, then find SL tactics. Browse through and you'll find a PDF file of a write up I did for an SL, a FULL SL GUIDE, which I managed to write in a few hours without any planning, just pulled it all out of my head.

I know what to do but naturally I'm not confident at leading. I know the basics, I know the advanced but I still don't wish to lead. Whether it's fear, anxiety I don't know.

I'm not depressed about it, I've wanted to improve it a little, with that TGU sign up, I hope I can get in and maybe become a more confident leader.

It's hard to lead, it's stressful, especially when the enemy is fast and unpredictable. Ability to deal with stress is a key factor I believe to being a successful leader when it comes to anything.

I also believe that this can be solved, but not quickly, I wish to ease myself in to the leader process, on TG's PR server in the future you may see me making squads for little roles like transport and logistics. then slowly advancing and becoming a fully fledged Infantry, armour or air leader. Even the commander position!
    While I'm not confident now, that can be changed, practice makes perfect!

Any advice about an SL stuff I'm happy to hear it.

Cheers all of you!:row1_14:

sigpic

Re: I can write, I can say, but I can't do!

Most important things I've leaned are:

1. Don't deal with BS, kick the ones who don't want to listen

2. Keep your cool

3. Get on TS!

4. Be decisive and clear

5. Know the game and maps
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

Just play it as it goes. try not to follow your rambo instincts. Dont try to be the squad the puts their squad into a suiside run and gets the flag take a few seconds to determine it. if unsure make sure your on TS and can get vital intel before you move. Make sure everyone has mic. Assign roles. my rule is atleast 2 medics. Sometimes its not you its the squad you get a few bad eggs every once in a while
      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
        Make sure everyone has mic. Assign roles.
        I don't think I can agree with that.

People without mics can be just as effective as those with one. I'll never kick someone for not having VOIP.

As for assigning roles, I'm all for having a set medic and No Snipers or Spec Ops. But, try not to micro-manage too much.
        |TG|
        ||||

Comment

Be decisive...

If you make a mistake, it's just a game.. But a decisive leader is easier to follow. Confidence inspires a can do mentality.

Edit.. another something..
          When speaking to the Commander.. Allways give your squad number during the transmission..
          Last edited by llPANCHOll; 12-14-2008, 12:51 AM.
          | |
          |

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
            When speaking to the Commander.. Allways give your squad number during the transmission..
            Godfather this is Hitman 2 Actual

Hitman 2 Actual this is Godfather, send traffic

:icon6:

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

The key to mustering the confidence, as far as I recall, is to just accept that you're going to be a ****ty SL for the first few rounds, and get over it.

But yeah, sonic's got some good advice, especially the "kick those who disobey". It's hard enough SLing with no experience, they're only making it exponentially harder.

Comment

Originally posted by creepin View Post
                Godfather this is Hitman 2 Actual

Hitman 2 Actual this is Godfather, send traffic

:icon6:
                From now on, I will force my squadleaders to call me Godfather when I command. You all have Creepin to blame. (Of course, this is implying that my game decides to stop kicking me...)

~Sirsolo
                |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

What are your requirements for being a good SL? When you are able to defend/attack a flag? The whole squad having a good K:D ratio? People listening to your orders? Squad members having a good time?

There are players who take the game seriously and have a good time when they see their squad using fire & manoeuvre tactics well. Others think that those take the game too seriously and just want to have a good time with all the players taking a kit they like.

Start with getting confidence by simply leading squads often enough. Take the "easy" job of defending flags; your squad is not on the move that much making your life much easier. Always keep an eye on your spawning points. Assaulting flags means keeping your squad together, making sure they support each other, your RP will be in constant danger of being overrun, your squad will get killed, etc. It is a much more demanding task which you might find a exciting challenge, but your SM might find it annoying if they need spawn back at main for the 5th time without making any progress.

Comment

Another way to get into the groove of leadership is to start small. Try running 3-4 man squads: you have less to control, you have less to worry about.

Comment

Yes, be decisive. But if you REALLY can't decide what to do, ask your squad for opinions. Understand it is not a democracy, but if you were a new 2LT, wouldn't you ask the opinion of the grizzled old sergeant next to you who has been through 6 wars on 4 different continents, seen it all, and come back to tell the tale? Ultimately it's up to you, but you are not alone. Anyways, it's just a game.

|
                      |

Comment

Originally posted by sirsolo View Post
                        From now on, I will force my squadleaders to call me Godfather when I command. You all have Creepin to blame. (Of course, this is implying that my game decides to stop kicking me...)

~Sirsolo
                        I'm not much for role playing movies but that is one great suggestion and a great way to make sure people remember to do it.
                        Lots of mil-sim stuff doesn't apply in PR except as role play but radio traffic is something that does truly benefit from military procedures.

When leading a squad, sometimes it helps to think about what you would do alone and then expand it to cover the squads movement.

Comment

Aspire to play smart and decisive. If you can't be smart, at least be decisive.

I find that the single most important factor in good leadership is know what you want to do. If you know what you want to do, you have a HUGE edge.

Also, in general: Don't be afraid to make a bold move. Failure is not a big deal. Even if you theoretically are the sole reason for the team's failure, everyone will forget about it within a couple of rounds, assuming you don't make the same mistakes multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlancic View Post
                            I've read the SOP's people, I've read guides. Go onto www.realitymod.com and go into the forums, then find SL tactics. Browse through and you'll find a PDF file of a write up I did for an SL, a FULL SL GUIDE, which I managed to write in a few hours without any planning, just pulled it all out of my head.

I know what to do but naturally I'm not confident at leading. I know the basics, I know the advanced but I still don't wish to lead. Whether it's fear, anxiety I don't know.

I'm not depressed about it, I've wanted to improve it a little, with that TGU sign up, I hope I can get in and maybe become a more confident leader.

It's hard to lead, it's stressful, especially when the enemy is fast and unpredictable. Ability to deal with stress is a key factor I believe to being a successful leader when it comes to anything.

I also believe that this can be solved, but not quickly, I wish to ease myself in to the leader process, on TG's PR server in the future you may see me making squads for little roles like transport and logistics. then slowly advancing and becoming a fully fledged Infantry, armour or air leader. Even the commander position!
                            While I'm not confident now, that can be changed, practice makes perfect!

Any advice about an SL stuff I'm happy to hear it.

Cheers all of you!:row1_14:
                            Take this class:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...-sign-ups.html

We are planning to have more if you can't make it on the 21st.
                            What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

Killing threads since 2007

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                              I don't think I can agree with that.

People without mics can be just as effective as those with one. I'll never kick someone for not having VOIP.

As for assigning roles, I'm all for having a set medic and No Snipers or Spec Ops. But, try not to micro-manage too much.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X