A little reminder about helicopters..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little reminder about helicopters..

I refuse to fly helicopters on Jabal. I always fly on Kashan. I sometimes fly on Qwai River.

I refuse to fly with someone as my "Gunner". I'm a transport service, not a gunship.

I always hang around the base until I hear a pickup request.

I refuse to land right in the middle of a cap. I always land away from it on Flat ground. I refuse to drop people in the mountains and such as they have on Kashan as I always end up landing on an angle and flying off of it at 200 MPH when I try to lift off to fix myself from flipping over.

Supply crate requests are iffy and must be requested to drop in a clear area. Very seldom (but I've done it cause I knew they needed it) will I go to a hot LZ for a crate. Last time I did it, I had to drop a crate off to a squad defending North Village and I knew there were 4 tanks on the hills looking at it but they needed supplies badly. I ended up dropping the crate and I could hear 3 tank shells and 2 missiles fly past me before another tank shell hit me and blew me up.

I will refuse the orders of my own squad leader who is telling me to go to a place to pick a squad up if I've yet to hear the squad leader ask for it. I had a squad leader kept yelling at me to go to North Village to do something because the commander told him too, yet the commander never would type out a confirmation nor would any of the squad people at the NV would confirm they needed anything either.

I believe that a one-man squad is the only thing needed for a transport squad and the person has to be able to know when to fly and when not to fly. I dislike seeing a 5 man trans squad and I always join it and I ask everyone if they can seriously fly and most of the time people leave cause they can't and they join infantry squads.

Transport is the only thing I find fun a lot of the time. Sometimes infantry is fun when the Squad Leader knows what he's doing. It's not when he doesn't or if he has the patience of a 6 year old and can't cope under stress and ends up yelling into his microphone.

BTW, here is my set of rules for requesting anything from a transport heli.

1. If you need an extraction, call for it in a safe location on flat ground. Roads are good as I can use them as a mini runway. Tell me where you're at and pop green smoke when you see I'm getting close. There have been plenty of times where a squad asks for a pickup and there are so many people milling around Idk where to land cause Idk which people is the squad.

2. Keep your squad around the LZ (that has been indicated by the green smoke) Keep them close enough to the LZ that it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to get everyone in. I hate sitting on the ground as I'm an open target for any rockets, shells, grenades, and bullets.

3. When the last person is in, I want SOMEONE to say go. A lot of the time I have to type "Everyone in?" cause I don't know if everyone is inside or not which wastes more time.

4. After you say go (You should've actually told me before I had even landed in the first place) tell me where to go. It sucks having to fly and type at the same time. Luckily I'm blessed with the power of high WPM so I can type quickly and be able to maintain control of the heli.

5. Do not shoot the door gunner's guns. It's annoying and it reveals my position.

6. Do not hop out until I'm on stable ground. If I made a poor choice of LZ and I can't seem to find level ground and I land on an angle, I will try to correct before I flip and I usually end up hitting 200 mph instantly when I lift off. Often I'm not even on the ground and people jump out thinking they're close enough and end up injuring themselves.

7. There are times I get locked on and I begin emergency maneuvers. DO NOT HOP OUT. There have been plenty of times where I'm flying and suddenly I'm locked. I hit flares and I start doing my magic and I realize that half the squad just bailed thinking they're going to die and the missiles never come. You're going to die either way if I blow up. Jumping out is just suicide unless I'm close to the ground and if I save the heli (which I've done before) you just killed yourself needlessly.

8. When you do get out, Run away from the heli at 90 degree angles. Don't run in front of the Heli like I've seen happen a lot. Laying down is a must after you hop out and do a sprint for a half a second. Distance and being low is good if I lift off and (if I'm at an angle) I go suddenly in an odd direction super quickly or if I do a turn on the ground. I don't like seeing that I tked someone lifting off. It's not good for the squad.

9. Do not complain about the LZ. Many a time I've had a squad leader yell at me to drop him off in the hottest area in the map and I decline by setting him down in an area that's further than he wanted and he's complained. A lot of time, I have a pre designated point I drop people off at for the flags. You ask me to take you to a flag, I already know where you're going to be dropped off at.

10. Do not complain about the length of time it takes to get to places. This applies to the wait it takes for me to get to you or for me to drop you off. I'm not flying through the middle of the map for a reason. It may take a minute longer than you'd like to get to that place, but at least be thankful you didn't have any missiles blowing you to pieces or bullets hitting the pilot and killing him or hitting you. (I've been sniped out of my blackhawk before with rounds. It's not fun.)

Thanks and enjoy your ride.

This is a old post of mine. This was made when 0.756 was in full force. I still believe they are valid in 0.8. For those of you who are just lurkers in these forums or even registered users and are considering flying, try to read these pointers.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Re: A little reminder about helicopters..

I'm, uh, I'm going to just put this riiiiiiight here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9WgF3KvJ8&fmt=22[/media]
    Waldo II

Comment

wow thats one great post sometimes ypou get a smart one asking you8 to drop him on the enemy flag ect. This is great i also love you enter and exit procedures
      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I've seen that video. It was well made.

Comment

Tonka, I've been doing alot of Support/Trans Helo work also (i really enjoy doing it on Kashan/Muttrah).

A lot of the same rules you have I also do. Nice to see we have some smart Logistics Pilots out there that aren't stupid enough to fly straight down the Gulf on Muttrah into 2+ vodniks and all the assortments of AA that are already there.

I have to disagree with you though on one part. I'm not sure, but I'm ok with dropping people in the mountains on Kashan for example. I've almost gotten it down pretty well, but I can understand the frustration.

1.I refuse to leave the Main-Base without a grid reference.
          2. I refuse to land at a LZ without confirmation from the ground that the area around the LZ is clear of AA.
          3. I will be ballsy on certain occassions and insert a squad on a CP. (Bunker/NV on kashan for example) if they want it.

Tonka, you might want to try this out, but on maps like Muttrah and Barracuda, I make a transport squad and max it out at 3 pilots. People start crying about not using the little birds or what not, but I have found for my squad, that 3 is the perfect number.

Heres why: Muttrah example. 3 pilots; 2 in a huey, 1 in a LB. Huey Pilots stay spooled up ready for supply crate requests. LB Pilot is either a) flying around doing recon (requires a fairly good pilot) or b) flying transports into the city/mountain ranges.

With 3 pilots, I now have 2 (if i remember right) LB's back on the carrier waiting to be used if something should go bad. My Hueys also do transport, so there really is no need for 5 pilots at one time.

I wouldnt mind getting in game and flying transport with you sometime. Like yourself, its something I find fun and enjoyable in PR.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by TheTonkaTruck View Post
            -Snip-
            1) If you're disobeying Squad leader, i hope you leave the squad.
            2) If you're not taking people where they ask, hopefully you're telling them BEFORE you take off. In many cases your safe LZ may be more inconvenient than just walking
            Otherwise, good post.

Comment

i think i'll add a few other things.

1) The Pilot has final say when it comes to Lz's and Extraction
              2) You can refuse to pick up people for being smacktards e.g i was flying on kashan, went to pick up a squad and one of the sm started shooting at me. so i returned to base and waited on the pad.
              3)If Waiting at base it may be a good idea to get out of the heli to avoid drifintg backwards and hitting barbed wire/ falling of carrier

Comment

2) You can refuse to pick up people for being smacktards e.g i was flying on kashan, went to pick up a squad and one of the sm started shooting at me. so i returned to base and waited on the pad.

I personally refuse to transport people that have a sniper kit and dont have |TG| infront of their names... they usually end up getting me killed.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Tonka,

Post this is the mission mod and tactics forum as well, it will be a nice addition to some of the other tactics/suggestions that are already there.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

This pretty much mirrors my own policies when I occasionally pull a dedicated transport role on maps like Kashan. I've gotten a fair amount of flak from SLs who weren't keen on walking, but since their preferred LZ had AA right on top of it, that's really not my problem. Irritating when they decide that shooting at the pilot is a good way to vent their frustrations.

Comment

Like I said, this was from 0.756. I've grown better over the months since I posted this and I've changed a couple of things that I do. I'm better with mountains now, so I'm more willing to do it.

My pre-designated points aren't really that far off. I only have about 4-5 for the most popular destinations such as the bunkers in Kashan and the villages. And yes, I'll post it in the tactics and mods area.

Note: I can't find it. Link please?
                      Last edited by TheTonkaTruck; 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM. Reason: Cause I wanna!

Comment

Note: I can't find it. Link please?
                        Understandable, as it's a subforum of a subforum of the BF2 forum: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...cs-discussion/

Comment

A little reminder about flying on Muttrah.

The Huey is a great asset for getting troops in and out quickly. I actually prefer to use this over the LB as the LB becomes paper for the .50's and missiles to shoot at. Stay low and quick. Do NOT go through the middle of the Gulf. Either go to the left side of the map and use the warehouses/buildings for cover or go to the right side and go through the mountain range. I do not recommend going through the mountains on the left side in a transport as you have to gain a lot of altitude to get over them and expose yourself to a lot of AA fire, it's even worse if you got an AA on the hotel.

If you find yourself locked on by an AA, do a abrupt 180 turn and release two sets of flares as you point your nose at the ground and lose as much altitude and gain as much speed as you can. Try to use buildings to break the lock as much as possible and get cover. I used this move on the left side a lot when we were playing Muttrah 16 during password night by the warehouse/north city. I had plenty of missiles smashing into the mountainside just meer meters from me. It was pretty intense.

If the enemy gets AA on the hotel, you will find yourself locked down immensely. However, staying low and keeping out of sight is good for avoiding them. Take the super long way around. If you know all the fighting is at North City, go to the right and take the mountain range and come up behind them. Same thing if it's the other way around.

And the best advice I can give to anyone is this..

DON'T BE PREDICTABLE.

;)

Comment

point your nose at the ground and lose as much altitude and gain as much speed as you can.
                            In the huey that a major ABSOLUTE NO NO unless you've got some major altitude. I hate how you cant pull out of any dive in the Hueys.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter View Post
                              In the huey that a major ABSOLUTE NO NO unless you've got some major altitude. I hate how you cant pull out of any dive in the Hueys.
                              No, when you're that low that rule doesnt apply. Your skids will hit the ground and you wont die.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X