Ugh Ping problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh Ping problem

For some reason, when i am home in Boston, my ping on the TG server stays under 50 but when im in college in pittsburgh, my ping stays at 104.

my internet at home is T1, and i think the internet i have in college is i2 (internet 2 or something like that) and my download speeds in college go up to 15mb/s according to speedtest.net...so i have no idea why my ping in pittsburgh is higher...plus i think im closer to the TG server anyways.

anyone know what i can do to get my ping down?

"These things we do that others may live."
    Intel(R) Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz
    GeForce 8600m GT 256mb

Re: Ugh Ping problem

all ur traffic probably goes through a firewall and internal servers which ofc delays the transaction

also you are probably using wlan (wlan is slower than ethernet) which means you got a secure connection - and because you are at your college all traffic could be encripted - encription takes time

conclusion: lots of routing + encription + wlan = more ping

solution: bring a CAT5 cable and link up directly - might give you up to 20ms less
    NO WARRENTY! ;)

edit: download rate has little to do with ping (except for low bandwidth like <64k)

Comment

You dont have many options here CV.
      You're at the mercy of your ISP's there.
      Just make sure your equipment is sound and you aren't running any unneeded network protcols.

Have you run a traceroute yet to see where your latency is coming from ?

Maybe 6 months ago my normally 15-20 ping went up to nearly 1000. A traceroute showed one of the routers along my path to the server was abnormally slow. I ran a Whois and found out what ISP it was then called their tech support. Of course they told me I shouldnt have jumped over the head of my own local ISP and called them, but with in 15 minutes they reset the router and all was good.

If its not your equipment CV, all you can do is try tech support at your school or if you're lucky like I was further up the ISP chain.

100 is not too bad. IIRC BF2 is optimzed for a ping of 100.
      Sniping made some good points too :)

Good Luck.

|

Comment

Sniping Coward is correct; many colleges use secured and/or encrypted networks for dorms and sharing the connection with however many other students downloading mp3s and playing WoW is really going to kill your sustained bandwidth. Raw downloads 9files, etc) often come in bursts so the overall data transfer still appears high.
        |TG-6th|Belhade
        "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

I play with an average ping of 200 with no problems, usually. Unless you are sniping (or perhaps low altitude flying) you shouldn't have any real performance issues with 100.
          | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
          Charge for the guns' he said:
          Into the valley of Death
            Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Low alt flying is not affected by ping, however flying vs other players would be.

pr is pretty good for high ping people as there is that delay to accuracy anyway so not every low ping guy is suddenly billy the kid

You have to double the figure to get the time to the server and back, others will have a shorter time so their bullet/vehicle always get there first

My effective delay is about a quarter of a second which is enough to end up shot when you were around the corner, etc

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

100 ping is Ideal if you want to hit what you are aiming at.. BF2 defaults are for a 100 ping.

Comment

Dang it my pings usually 40-50 time to slow down the network. ;)

Comment

lol, my ping is always below 10, usually 7 or 8. I live inside the server you should know :D

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X