Thinking About Giving PR a Try

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Giving PR a Try

Hello PR community! I'm a 2142 player who dabbles in CS:S and L4D and have long stood in Best Buy holding that Battlefield 2 box pondering if I should buy it and if I would ever play it. Well after finalizing my plans for a new PC, I decided that I might as well pick it up and give a different style of gameplay a try. I won't install it though after the build, for I don't want to deal with two installs.

What do you think of PR for a 2142 player? I've heard rants and raves. Obviously you like it if you are here. How long does it take to get into the swing of things (rank up for new weapons and such). But more importantly, is it fun? Happy holidays and I look forward to your replies.
    Last edited by DrBeat; 12-24-2008, 06:33 PM.

Re: Thinking About Giving PR a Try

Beat - welcome to the PR community here at TG

Ofcourse I will have my bias as I'm a regular player and involved with the mod. But, I'll try to keep to the facts.

The learning curve is steep, but as you are already involved here at TG, if you play with some regulars you should know what's going on in-game within a week or two. For the first 3-5 rounds you will probably want to pull your hair out and slit your wrists. As you're used to the action-packed shoot-em-up style of gaming from 2142.

There are no unlocks, no stats and therefore little incentive to be a rambo to rack up kills. PR, is a slow paced game that is entirely pivitol on teamwork and squad-based combat. You could be the worst shot ever, but, as long as you can get on TS and coordinate, you'll probably win.

Try it out Beat! You have nothing to lose other than $10 on the BF2 disc, hardly anything, really. You'll enjoy it if you like coordination and teamwork.

Hope that helped and I'll be looking for you in-game ;)
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

My best freind is a bf2142 head hardcore, thats all he plays. But when he comes over he loves to play PR with me. However I'm right next to him to tell him what to do and what not to do. But that could be done via TS no problem. Heck for 10 bucks it really worth giving it a try. Hope to see you out there.

Comment

Well, I love PR, even if I still stand by 2142. Its worth trying, at least. You might hate it (and running around the hills of Korengal looking for a cache you know is within 100 meters can be frustrating as all hell), but it also can be a blast. Its less of a constant rush that 2142 is, and more of a long, slow buildup as you walk, constantly looking for targets and threats for five minutes, until you've successfully flanked an enemy position and completely unload on them. Much more of a delayed gratification, but getting the drop on someone in PR, and doing it well, is something you just don't get in 2142.
        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Much more slower paced, much bigger maps, lots of toys, and great teamwork make PR at TG something that needs to be experienced. We recently completed an almost 4 hour internal scrimmage (yes, 1 map) and the score ended at 16-0 (or darn close). It was intense from the start and didn't let up. Most players left physically and mentally exhausted. Only PR can give you that type of immersion (don't argue for ArmA, not germane).

Read the manual, hook up with some good squad leaders, and you will quickly become an addict.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

In Pr, there is no rambo player, no lonewolf(you may encounter a few but they are probably new to the game)

Learning Pr is something that gonna take a few days for you to fully understand the basic of the game, just listen to your squad leader and your squad members, join ''INF''squad or ''TEAMPLAY'' squad, then when you get more experienced you may get to different squad using different asset(like tanks, light vehicle, apc, choppers, planes or whatever is available)

just dont judge the game by playing only 1 round like one my friend did, you gonna end up saying that this game is ultra boring, every firefight are different, one may last longer while another takes only a few sec , depends on the rounds, you may not encounter anything for more then 30 min, then boom, bullets and rockets are flying everywhere.

If you have a good computer that can handle this game at high graphics, you gonna be amazed believe me.
            sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

You will be Fine..you will love it.. Do it.. Enuf said..
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

If you relish the results of a long wait and can stand the failure after the same you will probably find something you like in PR.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I think you can score BF2 now for under 10 bucks. PR is free, so give it a try and I think that you will definitely get your money's worth. It's time for you to come back from the future and teach us what you've learned from 2142 anyways...
                  |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I haven't played PR in months because of PB But I just recently reinstalled it. Can anyone telll me how it has Changed snice 7.0?

Last edited by Tigerblitz; 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: I is a smack tard

|TG| Sproge "Tiger how did you flip that tank?!"
                    |TG-SC| PM07SNV "We need another world war to base more games on..."
                    |TG-AIR| DrBeat: "I just dropped my propane tank in the fire again"

Comment

When i first started playing in .6 i fell in love. The game was involving, and i really felt like i was part of a bigger picture. I havn't played .8 yet, but hopefully they havn't taken the core fun out of the game which is good firefights, and most importantly TEAMWORK.

Comment

Start playin it for a month or so, you get to know the regular players, and its a crapload of fun! you start trying new things like: *cough, cough* pilot kit assaults *cough*.

Tbh, you can never know for sure whats gonna happen, part of that fact is that the maps are so huge you would get lost without the gps/map.

Try it, you would be the first chick in PR i know(and play with)!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Originally posted by SamO View Post
                          i really felt like i was part of a bigger picture.
                          I almost feel the opposite, though. In 2142, I always know how I'm contributing and what I can do to help the team more. In PR, I always have this feeling of "welp, I hope that I'm helping my team, and that my SL knows what he's doing when I sit here staring at his rear holding a medpack." I know what my role and effect is in the squad, but on the battlefield? Not so much.

edit: A lot of this could be that I'm much, much better in 2142.
                          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                            I almost feel the opposite, though. In 2142, I always know how I'm contributing and what I can do to help the team more. In PR, I always have this feeling of "welp, I hope that I'm helping my team, and that my SL knows what he's doing when I sit here staring at his rear holding a medpack." I know what my role and effect is in the squad, but on the battlefield? Not so much.

edit: A lot of this could be that I'm much, much better in 2142.
                            By holding that medic pack you could prevent the SL from bleeding out thus allowing him to set a rally insuring that your squad could hold the point while an enemy APC rolls. This in turn allows your Armor to roll in while your squad covers their advance. All because you held that medic pack in the back.

PR is about small incremental building blocks toward a larger goal that require precision and communication to execute correctly. One small mistake can cause a butterfly effect which can drastically change the outcome. Holding that medic bag may have been the pivotal point in the round. It's not glamorous nor will people say "ZOMG you won the game all by yourself, you're so l337zors", but it has drastic effects.

Comment

Just to add...

PR is ever-changing. Although you play the same maps 100 times, you can do it differently everytime.

For example, I tried a rush to Refinery as British on Kufrah today and it worked.

Try new tactics and you may be suprises, as too your enemy.

It keeps the game fresh.
                              |TG|
                              ||||

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse