Overkill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill

I've been fed up with my new computer getting extreme stutter in PR. No matter the graphics setting or map, i would stutter to the point of not being able to play. I figured out that me having Vista and 2 gigs of RAM causes the game to stutter to a crawl.

So, during Christmas, i get over 300 dollars. What do i do with it, i spend 100 dollars for 8 gigs of ram :D. That's before rebates.

I'll see ya on the battlefield in 2 weeks.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Overkill

Uhh... hopefully. With Vista/Windows/Technology/Internet/Life.. It could be anything.

~Sirsolo
    |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Vists is indeed a RAM hog. I really think you'll see a differance, but then again I don't know the rest of your specs. Assuming they are pretty good, being that you said it's a new computer, I would really be surprised if your experiance did not improve with that much of a RAM upgrade.

Comment

Maybe your video card causing video lag? RAM maybe overkill cause I was told BF2 and PR can not use any more the 2 Gigs of RAM anyway. I know I have never pushed my 4Gb of RAM while playing PR. Maybe 2 more Gb would have been enough but the video card upgrade may have been more important.
        List your specs so we can see what may be your problem if there is a problem to be had from your hardware. It may even be just plain old packet loss that effects us all at some point.

Comment

Awesome. Let's hope that gets everything working just dandy.

Comment

Dang, I hope it's the RAM because if its something else phhh you wasted $100. Well not really since you'll probably use it for something else.
            -Craz3y-

(\__/)
            (O.o ) Disposable: These [Team stacking]threads are like a woman's period: They come (> <)around once a month and during that time no one is happy. Then it goes away, the sun comes out, birds sing, and everything is cool for 3 weeks, then hell returns again.

Comment

I have an 8800 GT, and E8400 3.0x2 processor. I know it's neither of those that's a bottleneck.

My version of Vista is 64bit (of course). Vista itself uses around a gig of RAM. This makes my computer basically have only a gig free to work with.

Since i plan on using this motherboard for a long while, filling all the slots with RAM seems like a good, cheap idea. The card and processor are decent enough for most of today's games anyhow. Once i get the rebate, the thing will cost around 70 dollars.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Nerd, do you use wireless? If so what wireless card?

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

8GB of RAM.... I can't think of a single game out there today that would use that much. 4GB is definately the most you need to adequately run any app. I would have upgraded the CPU or GPU. One thing you can never have too much of is processing power: more clockspeed = more fun.

Comment

I had issues at 2 gigs with PR, I upgraded to 8.

the price and the part were rigth at the time.

I cannot say one bad thing about it. It will make a diffrence.
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
                      Nerd, do you use wireless? If so what wireless card?
                      Wired connection, at 3 mb/sec. My ping is averaged around 70. The problem isn't latency, it's Vista's Superfetch. Vista caches my RAM to the point of having none available for free use. And for some reason, Vista thinks that PR is a program that isn't major enough to have memory diverted to it. So, i have memory dedicated to background tasks that do not matter. This causes stuttery performance.

I'm not stupid when it comes to market prices on the GPU's and CPUs. I'm going to wait until quad cores become as cheap as duel cores before i jump on that. All the games that i currently play do not require high end graphics cards. I'm saving cash for a large jump in graphics cards. The cheapest, major upgrade is 8 gigs for around 70 bucks.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I think even vista should have been happy with 4gb because bf2 is only a 32 bit anyway. I dont think it can address over 2gb?

It will still use more then that because of textures in main memory failing to be stored on the graphics card.
                        You can never have enough graphics memory especially if you go and use AA which doubles the requirement afaik

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I went from a 128 card to a 512 card and the difference in performance was not as great as when I went from 1g RAM to 2g.
                          8?
                          Covers all bets and for only a 100 bucks ..... why not ?

Comment

In 2142 I went from 1 gig to 2 gigs of RAM. It made the biggest performance increase EVER. I also noticed a huge performance increase in my regular tasks. I'd say you made a good decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                              I think even vista should have been happy with 4gb because bf2 is only a 32 bit anyway. I dont think it can address over 2gb?

It will still use more then that because of textures in main memory failing to be stored on the graphics card.
                              You can never have enough graphics memory especially if you go and use AA which doubles the requirement afaik
                              I think it's 3 gb for 32bits editions, anything over 4gb for a workstation is overkill anyway.

"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X