The Team Stacking Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Team Stacking Problem

From the first month I joined the PR community I have seen the team stacking/team switching problem pop up on the forums in some shape or another. I have been on the server where one team is in total control and every player I am familiar with is on one team and the other seems full of noobs.

In all the time I have played on the server I have never been able point to a regular and/or respected member and say to myself this guy is always team switching or jumping to the wining team etc.
    There is always a case when someday changes over to play with friends or get to be a chopper pilot etc. but it not something people do on regular bases.

Why do we then have a team stacking problems on the server then you might be asking? (if you haven’t given up on reading this already)

My experience is that we have a lot of regular players, these player are used to playing on this server with a lot of teamwork organization and all the stuff we pride ourselves on @TG.
    When a regular joins one team and the team is hopeless he’s not gone spend his time playing a round that is no fun, he’s gonna log out and com back in 30-45 when his frustration is gone. While the other team has some core organization and so the regulars joining that team stay put. Slowly over time one team get stacked with regular players while the other stays full of irregulars that are not use to the team work we are and don’t know any better.

I think the solution to this problem is (believe it or not) “Team switching”. I don’t mean if you’re on the winning side jump over to the losing side. What I am talking about is that if the teams are unbelievably unfair (no TG-tags on onside etc.) then move your whole squad over and let the auto-team-balance sort numbers (only do this on next map load, not in a middle of a game)
    This way you’re not giving up your teamwork fun and you’re not gone be logging out in 30-45 minutes.

In short: we play as a team, why not fix the balance issue as a team.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: The Team Stacking Problem

I approve of this message!!!!
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

honestly I think many people here like to be able to beat the crap out of the other team without having to work too hard. It seems that way sometimes. So many people don't think that its a problem and will just say get some coordination going or get on TS but that is not going to help since the regulars play often and therefore are good shooters and so on. I have tried where I had a squad that was really cooperative and responsive and im pretty sure we went up against a squad of regulars even though we worked and covered each others asses they still beat us to a pulp simply because they were better at shooting and had more experience then the squad I had which mostly consisted of new players.

Honestly I don't think this is a problem that is going to go away no matter how many times it is discussed simply because a large part of the community don't think its a problem.
      If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
        a large part of the community don't think its a problem.
        Yep, untill people are willing to see that there is a problem (at least for the other 30 players), nothing is going to happen. We all want to play with online buddies, and we all want coordination through teamspeak team coordination channels, or at least a CO to fill that void. It is a shame that every night 80-90% of TS users land on the same channel & team. It is pretty common for users to join TS, goto the largest team coordination channel, load up PR and say "What team are we on?", or "Am I joining the right team?".

A few months ago we had an Annonymous night which for the most part was a disaster. To my understanding part of this "experiment" was to show that the "tag doesn't matter". It would be interesting to have a no-switch night, where people accually play on the team they were assigned by the game.

Many have given up on this topic, as as I type this right now someone is probably writing another response complaining about the thread, and that people accaully want to express themselves about a potential, growing, issue. Many people have resulted into just switching, because it is no fun to sit in a squad by yourself, and have no communication or control of the rest of your team. I myself am also guilty of this... but I would certainly like for this to change.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
          ......one team get stacked with regular players while the other stays full of irregulars......
          I chuckled. That shouldn't be a problem!

~Sirsolo
          |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
            It would be interesting to have a no-switch night, where people accually play on the team they were assigned by the game.
            Did you read my post? I don't think the problems is "team-switching" but "team-quiting"

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Did you read my post? I don't think the problems is "team-switching" but "team-quiting"
              Prejoining, switching, quiting, idling, sitting unassigned, reconnecting - Different actions, same results. Bottom line, as you mentioned commitment to stay on the team who doesn't appear to be playing together seems grim.

I don't think there really is a good answer to this. Maybe that is why this seems to be a topic that will not die. The problem with moving entire squads, or "groups" of people at end of map, is that is when the teams change the most. Lot's of people choose to stop playing at end of round for closure, or leave at start of map because of the new map. Calculating, and/or balancing skill is pretty darn impossible.

Maybe we should all go play ARMA coop ;)

Comment

I think that a part of the problem is supporting membership. Not that anything is wrong with it at all. Technically I think this is what happens.

Most of the regulars are sm. When you join the server you always join the US side if the teams are even.
                Because of that, those who are able to get on the server when its 62/64 always end up on the same side and we end up with alot of TG'ers on 1 side.

Is it possible to edit the kick script so that it alternates which side it makes room on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jevski View Post
                  I think that a part of the problem is supporting membership. Not that anything is wrong with it at all. Technically I think this is what happens.

Most of the regulars are sm. When you join the server you always join the US side if the teams are even.
                  Because of that, those who are able to get on the server when its 62/64 always end up on the same side and we end up with alot of TG'ers on 1 side.

Is it possible to edit the kick script so that it alternates which side it makes room on?
                  Army force sides do alternate every map. Which would mean that teams would alternate getting the influx of additional supporting members

Comment

I seriously think this is not an issue, but when a new round start and i see 32 players on one side against 26, now thats an another story.

I mean, some people doesnt even wear the tg tags but they still follow them on every team because THEY GOT NO SKILL.

Nothing make you feels better then kicking the shi* outta of a team full of in house tg members.Especially when you know you made a difference in the game.

PR requires teamplay and strategy in order to succeed, when a ''stacked'' team win a round, its not because they all l33t or whatever, its because they worked together to make it work, you dont need to be a tg regular to that, they dont have superpower, they are not different from you, they only got a brain like everybody does, USE IT!!
                    sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

TG tags don't necessarily mean anything at all. I have seen over the past year since joining TG that people put on the tags simply to put them on, and don't even introduce themselves in the sticky above or have even registered on the forums, some do it so they can do whatever they want and feel it gives them the ability to at times get away with things (lone-wolfing, one man sniper squads, etc).

I am curious as to why you created this thread skylark, this is the first one of its kind in 2009 and probably the 8th one in the last 6 months. There have been no formal complaints of Team stacking (that i have seen in the past 2 months or so when i have been on), I have seen lots of players with other tags play just as well as regular members of TG tag wearers and regulars of non-TG tag wearers.

I really don't know why this topic has to be brought up again for public discussion, the same answers are going to be given, and the same complaints are going to be posted.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I played a lot of PR this weekend and every night (euro-hour night) The same thing happened. A bunch of regulars on one team and a bunch of pubbies on the other. Looking in TS I saw the same thing of course, alot of players in one team coordination channel and about 3 players on the other. I'm honestly I bit dissapointed at the TG community as I thought that most of you were mature enough that you would want a fair fight. I understand that you want to play with your buddies, I do to, but why not bring some of your buddies to the loosing team and get an even better game. Because honestly, what is fun with capping flag after flag with no resistance at all?

Also I came across another problem occurring on the loosing team. When some good players join they often get in a squad with other well known players, which I totally understand. But this in turn creates one great squad and the rest mostly unorganized squads running about the entire map. I know this, because I was also responsible of this until I actually realized I was doing it. It would contribute more to the team if when you join, join a different squad then you usually do, or create a squad of your own to get more players on your team organized.

I recently started SLing more and I often feel more confident in leading when I have a lot of unknown players in the squad, probably its because I most likely know more about the game then they do, which makes it easier to tell them what to do. So for those of you not confident enough to SL, try SLing on the loosing team ones in a while. I find it very satisfactory (is that a word?). Just remember to keep their spirits up, If the other team is better, that means you have to try harder.
                        sigpic
                        "Danger could be my middle name, but it's John..." Eddie Izzard

Comment

Switching teams with a full squad of friends is a pain in the butt. Usually the "blue mob" gets it together after 3 rounds of getting owned, or they all quit and better players take their spots. TG's very own evolutionary process...
                          |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Well said. The best part of this thread is you come with solutions, not just complaints.
                            What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

Killing threads since 2007

| |

Comment

I think he did come up with a solution. The question is whether or not the community can rally together and fix it. This is a tough subject since it's not a problem with individual players, and it's nobody's fault. The "team-stacking" seems to happen automagically and without anyone realizing it until one team gets beaten into the ground. Personally I think our best (and honestly, our only) chance of curbing this issue is the in-house squads. If we can split the IHS's on each side generally their leadership will bring an equal amount of teamwork to both sides (and we have been doing that, and it has been working quite well IMO).

Other than that there's really nothing else we can do to stop this. It's just one of the faults of having long, drawn out game-play that requires a great deal of coordination and leadership.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X