'SL to Cmdr' communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'SL to Cmdr' communication

What would you, as a commander, like to hear from your squad leaders? Do you want them to report every tiny little change or just the big ones? What is most important to report as a SL, what could you manage without? Im trying to get some tips on how to act and what to report to the commander as a SL. I want both "the commanders" and "the squad leaders" point of view. hit me with it!
    sigpic
    "Danger could be my middle name, but it's John..." Eddie Izzard

Re: 'SL to Cmdr' communication

1. Send a short message first saying your squad number, example: "Commander, this is squad two". And wait for the response. If he's a good commander he will probably be talking to other squad leaders, so wait for him to ask you to reply.

2. Send major enemy positions, specially ones that you need help from other squads.

3. Send requests for pickup or ammo.

4. Send requests for orders.

5. Send reports of enemies down.

That's about it for me.
    sigpic

Comment

Oooh, good idea. This thread will be useful.

As a squad leader, I'm generally relying on the Commander to give me a better sense of the battlefield. This means that he needs to know about (and relay) most of the important events. The position of an enemy squad, their heading, vehicle movements, firebases, as well as how friendly squads are holding up... that's all extremely useful information when planning my movements or outfitting my squad. So I'd say that SLs should be reporting every sighting of enemy troops, whenever they've clear out the opposition, and whenever they start getting hit hard.

Comment

Tip:

If you're a Squad Leader, and are asking for a insert/extract or supply drop by helicopter, make sure when you're relaying the information to the commander that you update the commander on any enemy movements around you. Seems basic, but I hate getting to a squad that requested a pickup only to die by Anti Air because they didn't "notice" the AA Vehicle over the ridge-line after he called in the Helo.

Make sure the LZ is always clear. basic, but overlooked.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by dbzao View Post
          1. Send a short message first saying your squad number, example: "Commander, this is squad two". And wait for the response. If he's a good commander he will probably be talking to other squad leaders, so wait for him to ask you to reply.

2. Send major enemy positions, specially ones that you need help from other squads.

That's about it for me.
          DB is spot on for me.

I would add also that it is good to check in from time to time. See whats going on on the battlefield. See where you may be able to help.

Also any time you are wiped out the CO needs to know.

Most importnatly Please, Please, Please send you squad number first and then wait for your CO to respond back to you.
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by dbzao View Post

That's about it for me.
            Alot of times (and I don't mean all), you can tell a good CO by him requiring SLs to use #1. It defines a system of communication to make sure every message is not lost. Vice versa as a CO, it's also sometimes the mark of a good SL to hear him practicing good comms. The only thing I had to add to db's #1 is that many times a CO will be busy talking to another SL when you radio in. If your message is something time sensitive or urgent (a flag is being overrun etc.), add to your short message to express that your situation may have a higher level of importance... "CO, squad 4 TOW, urgent".

Take some time to think about what your CO needs to know and what he doesn't. Sometimes, small details may actually make all the difference, but other times, it may just be best to destroy that secluded firebase and inform the CO afterwards when he is less busy. Use your best judgement.

I would imagine that a good CO would already be reporting new intel and information about the ever-changing battle already, but in case you've missed an announcement or you'd like to find out something that hasn't been announced, it's also good to check with the CO. He'll usually be very up to date with the latest intel, and like you, he also doesn't want to report all the unncessary details. Additionally, even if the CO doesn't know the status of something, he's always a message away from finding out from other SLs.

That's pretty much it for me. CO is a great tool to have as an SL on the battlefield if someone steps up to the job. It can be very rewarding watching your plan be carried out.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
              ... it's also sometimes the mark of a good SL to hear him practicing good comms. ...
              Sweet, another way to fool people into thinking I'm halfway competent!

Comment

goes the same for the CO.

"Squad 6 command"

Wait for responce.

Your SL should say go ahead or at least let you know that their comms are clear enough to undestand you.

Ohh and please only share perdnate infomation to the SLs involved. The squad at north desert does not need to know about the tank at mec outpost just yet.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

It would rock to stop hearing "Two uni....oh, sorry, wrong chat." for one

And I love status reports with numbers. Numbers and coordinates. And not at the same time. Aka, not "Commander, Squad 1 TALKTALKTALK" over "*already reporting"

~Sirsolo
                  |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

if you make a report, mark it with your attack or move marker first, it happens often that the sql marks his own position.

and as said: SAY YOUR SQUAD NUMBER, i know many voices of the players and can sort them out to the right sq number, but not all.

when i am commander the sqlers have a bit of freedom what they are doing but if i give an important command, then do it please, if you have troubles tell it to the commander, sometimes he doesnt know why the squad is not moving.

use TS as asset not for fun, its very hard to communicate with people on ts talking about something that doesnt matter to the game.
                    (sometimes its easier to say reports in teamspeak then to do it the long way via commander (qwai: heli to tow squad))

i like to be co and support the team, but everyone can make mistakes, so please dont blame the co.

you can always give the commander tips so that it works better.

| | | |

Comment

Yell at him until he responds, then yell at him again 5 seconds later for telling you to do something you didn't want to.
                      Oh wait.
                      Don't.

Comment

Keep the commander informed of major enemy movement! I hate hearing a tank is in C7, then nothing for 5 mins. Also, let the commander know where you are going in the opening of the map so we can start thinking of where to send assisting squads.

Everything Bullseye said as well.

Comment

Bullseye meant when you make contact reports, the report goes where your marker is, its doesnt matter if ur pointing at the entire enemy team, if ur marker aint there, then it wont go there.

Comment

Also, if you are reporting enemy contact, let the CO know what is out there. I hate people requesting markers without telling you whether it is infantry or a tank they 're spotting...

Other than that, I prefer Dbzao 's method. Just open with something like 'CO, this is squad 2... over' and wait for his response.
                            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
                              Also, if you are reporting enemy contact, let the CO know what is out there. I hate people requesting markers without telling you whether it is infantry or a tank they 're spotting...
                              Yes, the few times I was commanding nobody said what they were spotting. Why don't they just re-introduce the vBF2 spotting system with this little pop-up menu like when you request a kit but still only for squad leaders?
                              |TG|muttonchops

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X