Playing with a Commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with a Commander

So I spent the last few days playing as commander for several reasons. I have started up this thread to allow people to post their thoughts on what commanders (CO) and Squad Leaders (SL) should do to make this the most enjoyable experience for all. A lot of rounds have seemed to turn into a bunch of squads lonewolfing for seperate objectives; It would be nice to see everything much more integrated. Here are some of my thoughts:
    • Make sure you say "SQ# to Command" or "Command to SQ#" prior to rambling away on their channels.
      Both the CO and SL have other people talking to them. They may not be available to chat straight away
    • Call in all contacts even if you think you have it under control
      If the CO doesn't know what is attacking where, he cannot gauge the force attacking, and is impossible to decide weither forces can be moved (to advance/retreat). A simple "Contact Report" and a quick "APC" or "Infantry" on voip is sufficient, and doesn't break other communications going on
    • Report downed contacts
      If the map stays fairly updated the SL's all have a better idea of what is going on. Spotting out heavy assets is especially important
    • Call in firebases/bunkers, and possible rally points
    • Ask for help if you need it
      The CO knows who is busy, and who can take on more of a work load. If you need assistance, the CO can send over reinforcements wiether it is more troops to secure some ground, or clear a rally point; Or send in heavy armour support to deal with the hostile teams.
    • If your bored, don't have anything to do, or want to know where your assets or squad are most needed - ask for orders.
    • Let the CO know when you are running low in ammo; or if you need more ammo
      Ammo is really important, especially when your trying to keep your heavy weaponry armed. If you ask, the CO may be able to get you a box, or crate.
    • Call in spotted enemy mines, or friendly mines that cannot be marked due to limitations
      The CO can throw down additional markers, and it may just save a full truck of friendlies, or some heavy armour.

I know this is a lot to ask from a squad leader. As you may know, I squad lead a lot. I have been known to get frustrated at the CO as they contact you at the worst times. I know there is downtime - If you let the CO know what is going on at that time, they won't be bugging you when you are in a firefight.

Some of these tasks seem very trivial. Don't be shy to ask the CO. Trust me, the CO is happy to hear any intel. They are stuck in a chair, and will be more than happy to mark mines, get ammo drops, coordinate rides, coordinate joint attacks, and get involved. I think if the CO was more involved with the other squads, and people saw that they would accually be used, we would see lots more stepping up to the plate (or chair?).

That is my rambling for today, any feedback, thoughts, comments, pet peaves, trolling, etc, is welcome below. This is a forum after all.

Re: Playing with a Commander

pretty good idea there zaboo.... i've seen a couples players stepping up to be a commander.... one in particuliar... i think it was 2 days ago... kept an overall awareness... heck my tank squand was bogged down for repair and he asked often our situation as we where deep in to enemy territory
    |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
    BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
    Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

I would like to add something.

- if you have a commander relay everything you can by him instead of teamspeak. If you tell him something he will like you. but if everything goes over TS he will feel redundant.
      If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

I'm curious how a game would fare where:
        1. There is a CO
        2. Squadleaders don't shoot a single round all game, only recieve and issue orders between CO and Squadmembers.

I think it could be more effective, maybe not a total halt of the squadleaders trigger, but atleast less action. Don't know how much fun it would be though.

Also, I don't know how 0.85 will turn out, but maybe this type of coordination within a team is needed after the patch?

What do you guys think? Am I all wrong here? :)

Comment

The role of CO is going to become much more important in a few short days, so we need people to be willing to step up and do it.

Nice post ZaBoo - that is an essential guideline for all squad leaders, and it should also become apparent to all that when you SL, you are really middle management: you are in charge of a small group of people to see them through the completion of a task, but you still need to report to the big guy to get what you need to finish the job.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I've got my fingers crossed for the implementation of manual tetris artillery.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Zaboo youv'e been doing great latley as CO

You really help us turn it around last night on a few maps.

The man speaks the truth

The more you give the CO the more he can do for you and thus the more he can do for your team.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Firstly SLs and COs need to stop arguing.

Arguing in a bad way, that doesn't help themselves, or their progress ingame.

I haven't CO'd, EVER, but I'm sure your doing a fine job.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
                  I would like to add something.

- if you have a commander relay everything you can by him instead of teamspeak. If you tell him something he will like you. but if everything goes over TS he will feel redundant.
                  I agree totally. Duplicate communications is somewhat distressing to the commander - makes it less useful to have one. I am a fan of in game comms to the commander, squad comms for the squads and squad leaders in Team speak. I think Team Speak is over used in game anyway and is really best used when there is no commander to coordinate with.
                  sigpic

Comment

Why is co more important next version

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Also CO's, use the individual squad comms rather than talking to all squads at once, and.... clean up old enemy spotted / asset markers on the map.

|

Comment

Thanks for posting zaboo, you made excellent points that I think we can all agree needs to occur during a round. Also thanks for stepping into the CO slot over the past few days, very much appreciated.

Originally posted by Berlancic View Post
                        Firstly SLs and COs need to stop arguing.

Arguing in a bad way, that doesn't help themselves, or their progress ingame.

I haven't CO'd, EVER, but I'm sure your doing a fine job.
                        This doesn't happen that much, but out of curiosity if you can give some examples it can help.

Using the PR Leadership Channels on TG's TS is another way that info that be passed along, and then the CO can relay that info to squad leaders who are not on Team Speak.

I hope in the next release especially with maps that require transport there will be less players typing in team chat or on Team speak asking for pickups and drop offs/circumventing the CO entirely, that is one thing that can be very frustrating/annoying.

That's just a personal pet peeve I have, and is not to be interpreted as a overall feeling that every commander has.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I've only CO'd a couple of times, but both times it was like herding cats. One SL in particular (his name escapes me) had me muted and did not follow any orders. Very frustrating.

To be fair, when I did CO, I came in during the middle of a round when the squads no doubt had their own plans and didn't want a new one. Nevertheless, the lack of coordination was very apparent and all I could do was try and help. Had they coordinated their attacks instead of playing cards up in the NW corner of the map on Al Jabal or whatever they were doing, we might have gotten off of the East Beach.

My biggest suggestion would be to use your CO as an asset. If your squad is planning on maneuvering somewhere on the map, ask your CO what the situation is there. Chances are they know or can coordinate support for your plan.

Comment

I just want to add make sure your Mic/Headset is working before you attempt to command. I was playing a couple days ago on Kashan when |TGXV| Masterjack decided to attempt a last minute rally of US forces. With no one listening to him he reported the whole team for disobeying CO orders when infact his own headset/mic was not plugged in. Let's just say that it was one of the most hilarious moments I have experienced on TG, well that and actually eating a Tow rocket in the face..
                            sigpic
                            Pride/Shame of the PLA

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                              Thanks for posting zaboo, you made excellent points that I think we can all agree needs to occur during a round. Also thanks for stepping into the CO slot over the past few days, very much appreciated.

This doesn't happen that much, but out of curiosity if you can give some examples it can help.

Using the PR Leadership Channels on TG's TS is another way that info that be passed along, and then the CO can relay that info to squad leaders who are not on Team Speak.

I hope in the next release especially with maps that require transport there will be less players typing in team chat or on Team speak asking for pickups and drop offs/circumventing the CO entirely, that is one thing that can be very frustrating/annoying.

That's just a personal pet peeve I have, and is not to be interpreted as a overall feeling that every commander has.

Well, one time, my team kept spamming chat, "The commanders not doing his job." "The Squad leaders aren't following my orders".

I think some of the admins might've gone insane trying to deal with it.

Yes it doesn't happen often.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...